Why does every state have to try their own creationism law?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Why does every state have to try their own creationism law?

Post by Tero » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:40 pm

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Why does every state have to try their own creationism l

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:47 pm

They will keep trying to break the law wherever they can, hoping that one will pass muster. It's rather like robbing liquor stores, one of them may have enough money to justify a possible prison term.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Why? Because every state has its own batch of loons who elect their pet loons to the state legislature. Most of them lie about their intent when running at a statewide level - senators, but many of the representatives from rural areas can be open about it. Their bills usually never come out of committee except maybe during an election year. Then they get run up the flag for a few months to impress the loons before election day.

Thumpalumpacus
About me: Texan by birth, musician by nature, writer by avocation, freethinker by inclination.

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Expecting politicians to know the Constitution?

What's next?!
these are things we think we know
these are feelings we might even share
these are thoughts we hide from ourselves
these are secrets we cannot lay bare.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Thumpalumpacus wrote:Expecting politicians to know the Constitution?

What's next?!
. :hehe: Seems to make no difference if they are Indiana politicians or Finnish - some will have a rather huge blind spot in about the same area of their political field of vision...
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Idiots in every state, sometimes pushing at an open door.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Because censoring what school children can hear goes against everything the United States and the First Amendment are about. Information is information, it has no moral or ethical burden attached to it, and therefore if the people of a sovereign state want their kids to learn about creationism, it's their right to have it taught to their children in the public schools, right alongside evolution.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Thumpalumpacus
About me: Texan by birth, musician by nature, writer by avocation, freethinker by inclination.

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Ronja wrote:

What's next?!
. :hehe: Seems to make no difference if they are Indiana politicians or Finnish - some will have a rather huge blind spot in about the same area of their political field of vision...
You mean the one right behind their navel, and immediately in front of their eyes?

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Thumpalumpacus wrote:
Ronja wrote:

What's next?!
You mean the one right behind their navel, and immediately in front of their eyes?
If that is where constitutional issues reside, then yes. ;)
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 pm

When one puts the needs/requirements/desires of an imaginary being ahead of the good of the society one lives in, this is what we get.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Seth wrote:Because censoring what school children can hear goes against everything the United States and the First Amendment are about. Information is information, it has no moral or ethical burden attached to it, and therefore if the people of a sovereign state want their kids to learn about creationism, it's their right to have it taught to their children in the public schools, right alongside evolution.
No information has ever come forth about intelligent design. We only teach chemistry in school, based on facts. We do not teach, for instance, homeopathy. We could teach herbal medicne if people still knew where herbs grow.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:59 pm

I'd always assumed it was simply because education is not a federal matter and so decided at the state level. Is that not correct?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Pappa wrote:I'd always assumed it was simply because education is not a federal matter and so decided at the state level. Is that not correct?
Each state has its own "School Boards", this is where the creationists try to slip their shite in. They seem to be hoping that if one state okays it there will be a domino effect. However, as the Lemon Test mandates against this there's really no chance they'll be successful. I, for one, hope they eventually get a state law passed so the Supremes are forced to make a call.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:04 pm

It's comical that Kansas has a good university that publishes one evolution journal.

Thumpalumpacus

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Gawdzilla wrote: I, for one, hope they eventually get a state law passed so the Supremes are forced to make a call.
This has happened already, in a sense. In both Arkansas and Louisiana, state-level laws mandating equal discussion for creationism have been struck down.