Dinosaur feather evolution trapped in Canadian amber

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Dinosaur feather evolution trapped in Canadian amber

Post by Pappa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14933298
Samples of amber in western Canada containing feathers from dinosaurs and birds have yielded the most complete story of feather evolution ever seen.

Eleven fragments show the progression from hair-like "filaments" to doubly-branched feathers of modern birds.

The analysis of the 80-million-year-old amber deposits is presented in Science.

An accompanying article showcases a new method that has revealed that feathered dinosaurs would have been brightly coloured.

Recent years have seen a proliferation of reports about the beginnings of feathers as we know them now in birds.

So-called compression fossils found in China bear outlines of primitive "filament" feathers that are more akin to hair.

But modern feathers are highly branched and structured, and the full story of how those came to be had not yet been revealed by the fossil record.

Now a study of amber found near Grassy Lake in Alberta - dated from what is known as the Late Cretaceous period - has unearthed a full range of feather structures that demonstrate the progression.
Grassy Lake map

"We're finding two ends of the evolutionary development that had been proposed for feathers trapped in the same amber deposit," said Ryan McKellar of the University of Alberta, lead author of the report.

The team's find confirms that the filaments progressed to tufts of filaments from a single origin, called barbs. In later development, some of these barbs can coalesce into a central branch called a rachis.

"We've got feathers that look to be little filamentous hair-like feathers, we've got the same filaments bound together in clumps, and then we've got a series that are for all intents and purposes identical to modern feathers," Dr McKellar told BBC News.

"We're catching some that look to be dinosaur feathers and another set that are pretty much dead ringers for modern birds."
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Dinosaur feather evolution trapped in Canadian amber

Post by FBM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:55 pm

For every transitional fossil you produce, you create another gap in the fossil record. :mod:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Nice. That's science, that is.

Horwood Beer-Master
"...a complete Kentish hog"
Location: Wandering somewhere around the Darenth Valley - Kent

Post by Horwood Beer-Master » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Samples of amber in western Canada containing feathers from dinosaurs and birds have yielded the most complete story of feather evolution ever seen...
"Dinosaurs and birds"? that's an odd phrase. It's a bit like "planets and Saturn" or "hot drinks and tea" or "tosspots and Piers Morgan". - The later is included in the former.

...An accompanying article showcases a new method that has revealed that feathered dinosaurs would have been brightly coloured...
Many still are...

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Here we go again....

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Horwood Beer-Master wrote: "Dinosaurs and birds"? that's an odd phrase. It's a bit like "planets and Saturn" or "hot drinks and tea" or "tosspots and Piers Morgan". - The later is included in the former.
Only in a certain sense. Most biologists don't consider birds to be dinosaurs even if they are directly descended from them. It is easy to think of them as dinos that can fly, but they do differ in other specific ways too.

Though, I do like referring to them as dinosaurs myself too.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

It's in the Daily Mail so it must be true. :hehe:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... saurs.html

Horwood Beer-Master
"...a complete Kentish hog"
Location: Wandering somewhere around the Darenth Valley - Kent

Post by Horwood Beer-Master » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Pappa wrote:...It is easy to think of them as dinos that can fly, but they do differ in other specific ways too...
But surely all dinosaurs differ from all other dinosaurs in specific ways?

Try rewording what you just said,
Most biologists don't consider stegosaurs to be dinosaurs even if they are directly descended from them. It is easy to think of them as dinos that have plates and spines, but they do differ in other specific ways too.

Or
Most biologists don't consider Trochilidae to be birds even if they are directly descended from them. It is easy to think of them as birds that can hover, but they do differ in other specific ways too.
:tea:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:Nice. That's science, that is.
But science is just another religion, so why should I believe what scientists say? Just because of "evidence?" Pssshh. Belief in the efficacy of evidence is just another faith-based assertion. Do you have evidence to prove that having evidence proves anything? I thought not.

QED. :levi:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:56 pm

FBM wrote:
But science is just another religion, so why should I believe what scientists say? Just because of "evidence?" Pssshh. Belief in the efficacy of evidence is just another faith-based assertion. Do you have evidence to prove that having evidence proves anything? I thought not.

Go to the back of the class. I will spank you later.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
FBM wrote:

But I wanna be spanked NOW. :begging:

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:02 pm

FBM wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:
FBM wrote:

But I wanna be spanked NOW. :begging:
One of those.....the number 7 cane I think
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Jay G

Post by Jay G » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Evolution is a LIE put forth by all those Godless Atheists (may they burn in the hell they so richly deserve) just so they go around having sex without feeling guilt which is God's gift to us so we wont enjoy this world too much.
"Their two is not the real two, their four is not the real four"
"Reason is the Devil's whore"

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Jay G wrote:Evolution is a LIE put forth by all those Godless Atheists (may they burn in the hell they so richly deserve) just so they go around having sex without feeling guilt which is God's gift to us so we wont enjoy this world too much.
I blame Satan.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Dries van Tonder
Drunk barbarian nerd
About me: Drunk fucknut philosopher

Post by Dries van Tonder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Whaaa....fuck off..............I've just seen a velcrorasper run by............fuckit.............where's my brabdy..... :smoke:
Ex Afrika semper aliquod novi!

Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol