Let's play "Spot the looney!"

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Let's play "Spot the looney!"

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 am

[QUOTE=Richard Stanbery;630828]I have not said one word in support of creation in this thread. None that I can recall offhand. Somebody might want to check that out. But anyway, its not what Im here to do on this thread.

Im trying to illustrate the point that a great many evolution supporters do so, even they they dont seem to be able to understand the flaws in evolution science. Whenever I have asked specific scientific questions, in as much as I am able to understand, I usually get the old "everybody knows" thrown at me. Or vague responses that dont really address the specific question.

And, as I say, I have also got generalized very vague answers. I have been told that scientist make allowances for the problematic variables. And I have countered with showing some of the problems that would make these "allowances" mathematically impossible.

To which I was subjected to being called a troll, and had the "most scientist agree" tossed at me once again, which is a variation of "everybody knows".

Yet, I find that evolution supporters dont seem to be able to answer my questions with direct and specific scientific answers.

So, why would somebody believe in something that they seem to not understand? Oh, they understand the general theory of evolution, but when the specific problems arise, they have no specific answers that are suitable.

And so, I am coming to conclude that most evolution supporters have only a general knowledge of the theory, but little of actual science.

And Im truly not trying to be offensive in saying this. I highly respect all those who have debated with me on this thread. But I do feel that they are misguided in believing in this theory just because "everybody knows".

That isnt good enough for me, as I prefer to think for myself.

And so, that is what I must conclude. In the minds of evolution supporters, the issue seems to be confirmed and the science is perfect, though they have not the first idea why.

And this seems to be more of a symptom of brainwashing than a manifestation of education.

And I apply the very same standard to creationist and those who say they are Christians. If one says that they are a Christian, then they should know the Bible and show themselves approved. Otherwise...

And so, in summation, my labors on this thread have not been to combat evolution theory. But rather to cause people to open thier minds to question everything and to find the answers for themselves. That is my goal here, not to advance creationsim.

If one is going to be an evolution supporter, then the right idea is for them to examine both sides of the science with a critical eye, and then to make up thier minds. They should examine the problems of evolution science (just a few I have shown here). Then, some may see it differently. Others may not.

At least, they would be fully convinced, and not satisfied with "everybody knows" logic.

So, I think I have just took the long winded way of agreeing with you, oshron. [/QUOTE]
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Ian
Mr Incredible

Re: Let's play "Spot the looney!"

Post by Ian » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:09 am

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:18 pm

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Ian wrote:Image
:awesome:
Out of the people that ever were, almost all of them are dead.
There are way more dead people, and you're all gonna die
and then you're gonna be dead for way longer than you're alive.
Like that's mostly what you're ever gonna be.
You're just dead people that didn't die yet.
--Louis C.K.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Those "deer in the headlights" eyes. :zombie:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:36 pm

I posted here by mistake!

I meant to post in the "6 vacant places on the Executive" thread! :fp:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 pm

JimC wrote:I posted here by mistake!

I meant to post in the "6 vacant places on the Executive" thread! :fp:
Whoa.. like, deja vu or something... :shock:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Don't mess with Jim... he's on the road to Damascus and will soon say he has seen the Messiah in Gin and that executive seats must be 12 around the Holy Bottle.
Then will start the heresies as the Old Ladysists and Bombay Sapphireans split from the gordonites.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Svartalf wrote:Don't mess with Jim... he's on the road to Damascus and will soon say he has seen the Messiah in Gin and that executive seats must be 12 around the Holy Bottle.
Then will start the heresies as the Old Ladysists and Bombay Sapphireans split from the gordonites.
:hehe: Thanks, I feel better already. :VSOP:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Post by apophenia » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:11 am

That being said, he is right in one regard, there are innumerable evolution fanbois who really don't know what they're talking about. Evolutionary theory is not a science whose basics you can master in a fortnight. I just finished reading Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker for a book club, and, while there were no staggering revelations, such things as Fisher's analogy of the microscope, Lande's population genetics and some of the sexual selection mechanics were things I never suspected nor considered. And some time ago, I went back and forth with a fellow philosopher about the value and soundness of the imposition of teleological explanations into evolution in the limited form of adaptationist interpretations of, say, the "function" of a wing. And I don't know if other countries are like the U.S., but we do a horseshit job of teaching evolution in K12. I've observed that if we taught school children evolution, creationism and intelligent design alongside each other, in the deep, thinking way science should be taught, it would be a great step forward. But that's impossible with both the economic and political resources available to our schools.

No, he's right, even if for the wrong reasons. There are a lot of "evolution ditto-heads".

Loki
About me: 98% chimp

Post by Loki » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 am

apophenia wrote:That being said, he is right in one regard, there are innumerable evolution fanbois who really don't know what they're talking about. Evolutionary theory is not a science whose basics you can master in a fortnight. I just finished reading Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker for a book club, and, while there were no staggering revelations, such things as Fisher's analogy of the microscope, Lande's population genetics and some of the sexual selection mechanics were things I never suspected nor considered. And some time ago, I went back and forth with a fellow philosopher about the value and soundness of the imposition of teleological explanations into evolution in the limited form of adaptationist interpretations of, say, the "function" of a wing. And I don't know if other countries are like the U.S., but we do a horseshit job of teaching evolution in K12. I've observed that if we taught school children evolution, creationism and intelligent design alongside each other, in the deep, thinking way science should be taught, it would be a great step forward. But that's impossible with both the economic and political resources available to our schools.

No, he's right, even if for the wrong reasons. There are a lot of "evolution ditto-heads".
Without knowing the arguments he presented or the rebuttals offered how can anyone know whether his comments have merit? I'm sure there are those who support evolutionary theory without being across the basics (and lets face it, no-one is across the whole gamut of evolutionary science) but without reading the thread I don't know if those involved should be included in that group or not.

Scratch that, just read the last thread where Richard Stanbery was quoted, it's all bollocks. :nono:
"Well, whenever Im confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions.". Abe Simpson

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 am

Who is this Stanbery character, precisely? And what "flaws" in evolutionary biology does he claim exist?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:34 am

apophenia wrote:That being said, he is right in one regard, there are innumerable evolution fanbois who really don't know what they're talking about. Evolutionary theory is not a science whose basics you can master in a fortnight. I just finished reading Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker for a book club, and, while there were no staggering revelations, such things as Fisher's analogy of the microscope, Lande's population genetics and some of the sexual selection mechanics were things I never suspected nor considered. And some time ago, I went back and forth with a fellow philosopher about the value and soundness of the imposition of teleological explanations into evolution in the limited form of adaptationist interpretations of, say, the "function" of a wing. And I don't know if other countries are like the U.S., but we do a horseshit job of teaching evolution in K12. I've observed that if we taught school children evolution, creationism and intelligent design alongside each other, in the deep, thinking way science should be taught, it would be a great step forward. But that's impossible with both the economic and political resources available to our schools.

:this-huh:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."