this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Feck

Re: this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

Post by Feck » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Fans of Richard Dawkins ( I leave out the bold and the shouting) :funny: Fred look where you are ! learn why we are here, RDF may have been happy to host comments by ignorant people but THIS IS RATIONALIA .

Oh and BTW I am mentally ill :ddpan: ... fuck sanity if you are representative sample of it .

Edit has it gone yet >???
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

goodboyCerberus
About me: They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Post by goodboyCerberus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:33 pm

The "don't let the door hit you on the way out" atmosphere is wonderful.

Bottom line: People shouldn't be making shit up about Josh and Richard's love child. I don't care if its just one person, the actions of a vocal few can be used by Josh or the fundies or whomever to paint us all negatively. That's all I'm afraid of. Can you understand that?

This is what it looks like: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/ ... st_how.php

Its apples and oranges. Generation Rescue apparently condoned that garbage. But it doesn't matter to our critics. Its ammunition, can you understand that?

I'm not telling people to be emotionless robots. I, too, am still saddened by all this.

Vent all you want. We're entitled to complain - and complain loudly as long as the "official" story being propagated is all lies. I feel stupid reminding you all that once you put anything out on the Internet (e.g. personal information on social networking sites, or libelous rantings), you lose control.

We don't need to act like jackasses. That's not how one fights jackassery.

My 2¢.

*dons fire retardant suit*
Last edited by goodboyCerberus on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charity Navigator - "Find a charity you can trust."

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 pm

jd wrote:The Moderators did do an excellent job there
Oh really? Then why was the forum such a headache for richard? if the moderators had of done a great job there wouldn't be a problem.

goodboyCerberus

Post by goodboyCerberus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Oh really? Then why was the forum such a headache for richard? if the moderators had of done a great job there wouldn't be a problem.
I have to disagree with this argument of yours. I don't know how much you've read, but from what I've seen it was a mix of factors. In my opinion the mods did the best they could and Josh should take most of the blame, from the genesis of the problem to its disgusting conclusion.

Randydeluxe
Filled With Aloha
About me: Ua mau ke ea o ka 'aina i ka pono.
Location: SoCal. Previously Honolulu, HI. Previously Vancouver, BC. Sometimes Austin, TX.

Post by Randydeluxe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:Oh really?
Yes, really. You would know this if you knew anything about those forums.
Fred Kite wrote:Then why was the forum such a headache for richard?
Because the website owner knows nothing about Web 2.0 and completely disregards it! Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
Fred Kite wrote:if the moderators had of done a great job there wouldn't be a problem.
Incorrect, but so has been almost everything you've said here, so good job at being consistent.

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Randydeluxe wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:said the richard dawkins.net forum was NOT an atheist forum - it was a FORUM for FANS of RICHARD DAWKINS.
That is obviously incorrect, and can be understood by just looking at the thing. It's still available for being looked at, you know.

Bye.
you people are unbelievable. you're quote mining now.

2 quick points.

1. I said that the richard d forum was NOT an atheist forum, it was a forum for fans of richard dawkins and I met christians, jews, secularists, humanists, students, deists and theists of many denominations there.

EVERYONE was welcome at rd.net.

2. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ATHEIST FORUM.
There are forums where people discuss...where some or many maybe ATHEIST but the notion that there is such a thing as an ATHEIST forum is so fucking stupid I don't know where to begin.

cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

Post by cowiz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm not embarrassed as I am an irregular atheist, so I don't count
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.

Godless Libertarian

Post by Godless Libertarian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

tl;dr

has a derail been attempted yet? if not, why not?

:banghead:

I consider it a tribute to the moral qualities of an individualist society that private charity and philanthropy
helps the unfortunate people in our midst. ~ Murray N. Rothbard

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 pm

ED209 wrote: Jesus Christ Fred, do you really not understand that the bile was posted here - on a forum completely unconnected to Richard Dawkins - and even then only after the RDF mods had been sacked, thousands of posts deleted, and the RDF forum closed? How do you imagine that is controlled by the mods of RDF?

If you want to know why people aren't really liking you much, you might reflect that you continue to belittle the thousands of hours of tireless and unpaid work the mods for Dawkins' contributed to that site only to be completely erased by Dawkins' IT monkey. Why not go ask your 'psychology pal' about that aspect to your behaviour, he might be able to diagnose you off-the-cuff as well.
why are you twisting what I'm saying?

Richard dawkins said, before the kerfuffle that he wanted to eradicate the sort of bile that was appearing on the forum...the sort of bile that moderators were supposed to clean up and moderate.

Okums razor stuff, ED209. if the moderators had of kept the forum civil, richard would have been delighted with it.

I didn't come in here to be liked. I came in here to voice my opinion. if you don't agree with that. Fine. That's all well and good. but to disagree and then throw insults at me is precisely the sort of bile that richard dawkins didn't like.

tytalus

Post by tytalus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Well, now it all makes sense. It was a site for fans of Richard Dawkins. It was demolished for failure to be mere fandom, and will now be returned to that state, as is his right.

Thanks Fred, I'll try to be less vicious, vindictive, rabid and whining in the future. After all, that's what a True Atheist would do. You're quite right; they wouldn't insult a flea.

:sarcend:

goodboyCerberus

Post by goodboyCerberus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Fred Kite wrote:Richard dawkins said, before the kerfuffle that he wanted to eradicate the sort of bile that was appearing on the forum...the sort of bile that moderators were supposed to clean up and moderate.
They did, though. In their spare time. Without pay or, often, acknowledgment from the top.

Richard Dawkins has proven to be inept when it came to the regular content of the forum. Yeah, there was some garbage. But its the fucking Internet, what do you expect?

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:53 pm

In other news, the moon continues to orbit the earth.

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:56 pm

tytalus wrote:Well, now it all makes sense. It was a site for fans of Richard Dawkins. It was demolished for failure to be mere fandom, and will now be returned to that state, as is his right.

Thanks Fred, I'll try to be less vicious, vindictive, rabid and whining in the future. After all, that's what a True Atheist would do. You're quite right; they wouldn't insult a flea.

:sarcend:
what's with the childish sarcasm?

It was not demolished for failure to be mere fandom. It was a pain in the neck for richard dawkins because of the amount of bile on there. Richard wanted somewhere people could go to exchange ideas in a civil manner.

The moderators obviously failed in their task to keep things civil. Richard obviously said enough is enough and the rest, as they say, is history.

jd

Post by jd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
The original decision to change the system was not based on "problematic" behaviour of users, but simply the cost of maintainance, since the huge number of users and the volume of traffic was an indication of the success of the boards (and of the moderation).

You've constantly demonstrated, not only your ignorance of what has happened, but also of your unwillingness to learn or accept what actually did. Wilful ignorance is the worst sort of ignorance.
"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
ED209 wrote: Jesus Christ Fred, do you really not understand that the bile was posted here - on a forum completely unconnected to Richard Dawkins - and even then only after the RDF mods had been sacked, thousands of posts deleted, and the RDF forum closed? How do you imagine that is controlled by the mods of RDF?

If you want to know why people aren't really liking you much, you might reflect that you continue to belittle the thousands of hours of tireless and unpaid work the mods for Dawkins' contributed to that site only to be completely erased by Dawkins' IT monkey. Why not go ask your 'psychology pal' about that aspect to your behaviour, he might be able to diagnose you off-the-cuff as well.
why are you twisting what I'm saying?

Richard dawkins said, before the kerfuffle that he wanted to eradicate the sort of bile that was appearing on the forum...the sort of bile that moderators were supposed to clean up and moderate.

Okums razor stuff, ED209. if the moderators had of kept the forum civil, richard would have been delighted with it.

I didn't come in here to be liked. I came in here to voice my opinion. if you don't agree with that. Fine. That's all well and good. but to disagree and then throw insults at me is precisely the sort of bile that richard dawkins didn't like.
Please provide proof of this assertion. Very soon, if you please. :ddpan:

BTW, RD had become increasingly involved with the setting of rules and standards on the forum over the past 18 months, with the staff (via Topsy) keeping him in the information and decision making loop on any matter of substance. I really don't know where you're getting your ideas from. :roll:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob: