this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Fred Kite

this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am

Staff notice: This thread was started by a sock-puppet that has since been suspended for a week banned - the puppeteer has been suspended for a week. Any attempts to rerail this abortion of a thread will be met with posts about cheese and tits. There is nothing to see here folks.

As a general word of warning. May I just remind you all that at Rationalia, the chance of any thread retaining a shred of similarity to its OP after more than a page is practically 0. Replying to an OP in a thread that is already several pages long is likely to make you look a little silly and confuse those that have followed its evolution for long enough to have no idea how it began.

Thank you for your cooperation. :biggrin:

I'm new here, but, I just registered to speak on behalf of atheists who are extremely embarrassed to have the term "atheism" associated with the vicious and vindictive comments and incessant whingeing from so called "atheists" upset about Richard Dawkins website, because I notice that a lot of you are on here. Some of you are even writing press releases to spread the embarrassment even further!

What are you thinking?

I don't claim to be an expert on the whys and wherefores but one thing is very clear - regardless of the whys and wherefores the online reaction has been exceptionally embarrassing for atheism.

Even if Dawkins and his web team did something horribly wrong, the viciousness and rabidness of the reaction is completely unnecessary.

What's upsetting for me and regular atheists is that it's being reported as the 'largest online atheist community'. I have visited Richard Dawkins . net and it was not an atheist community. It was a website for fans of Richard Dawkins to congregate and discuss ideas online. There were theists, atheists, jews, christians and many others on the site and forum.

Some of you are reacting in the same way a teenage pop fan would react if a singer decided to leave a well known pop band. It's childish. It's petulant and it's hero-worshipping at it's worst and I can only imagine how embarrassed Richard Dawkins must feel at this moment.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

Post by Animavore » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:43 am

The members of RDF aren't regular atheists?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:47 am

What are you talking about? 'Regular atheists'??? It isn't a community. Its a group of people who don't believe something!

The anger is about lumpen, inconsiderate, unfeeling, insensitive and badly managed behaviour. That is about human beings treating each other badly, period.

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 am

Far canal.

Why don't you read the threads concerned and take notice of the hundreds of well thought out and rational comments on what's taken place that do not resort to personal vituperation (or only very mild comments)?

Then you can have the right to nag people. Until then, shut the fuck up. You don't speak for anyone but yourself.

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 am

Well sorry for expressing my opinion on something if it happens to offend someone who also doesn't believe in God.

Whatever next?, I'd better be careful not to say anything that fellow a-santaists disagree with too.

We aren't claiming to speak for all atheists, and you also clearly have no clue about what actually happened or what is being lost.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Babel

Post by Babel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 am

Who's coming to our weekly nonphilatelist convention? Forget to bring your stamps!

Besides, not all RDF-members were atheists.

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 am

Babel wrote:Who's coming to our weekly nonphilatelist convention? Forget to bring your stamps!

Besides, not all RDF-members were atheists.
Or fanboys of the man himself .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

DMac

Post by DMac » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55 am

Fred Kite wrote:I don't claim to be an expert on the whys and wherefores but one thing is very clear - regardless of the whys and wherefores the online reaction has been exceptionally embarrassing for atheism.

Even if Dawkins and his web team did something horribly wrong, the viciousness and rabidness of the reaction is completely unnecessary.
Oh? Exactly where are you seeing this viciousness and rabidness? From the completely erroneous Times articles? From the erroneous Dawkins post?

I'd never visited RDnet or this forum until a few days ago when I got curious about what was going on. But anyone who actually researches it can tell whose reaction has been completely out-of-bounds, dishonest, and irrational. That's Dawkins, Timonen, and Chalkley. If you don't believe me try reading something other than disingenuous versions of events.

As a "regular atheist" the conduct of Dawkins et al is the one that pisses me off. Those who champion rationality should act rationally rather than hypocritically. Any currently burning houses were lit by them, not the people here.

David M

Post by David M » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:57 am

Fred Kite wrote:I'm new here, but, I just registered to speak on behalf of atheists who are extremely embarrassed to have the term "atheism" associated with the vicious and vindictive comments and incessant whingeing from so called "atheists" upset about Richard Dawkins website, because I notice that a lot of you are on here. Some of you are even writing press releases to spread the embarrassment even further.
Yeah, a dozen people were rude about an incompetent website admin on a completely different website half a day later and a few hundred were just as upset but generally polite. That's such outrageous behaviour.

No one here is writing press releases, information is being put out in the internet to counter misinformation such as the claim that the forum needed to be locked due to horrible comments that were made half a day after the forum was locked down.
Fred Kite wrote:What's upsetting for me and regular atheists is that it's being reported as the 'largest online atheist community'. I have visited Richard Dawkins . net and it was not an atheist community. It was a website for fans of Richard Dawkins to congregate and discuss ideas online. There were theists, atheists, jews, christians and many others on the site and forum.
Looks like you need to do some fact-checking, or you never actually read the forums properly. It was the largest online atheist community, there were thousands of atheist members in that community.
Last edited by David M on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 am

David M wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:I'm new here, but, I just registered to speak on behalf of atheists who are extremely embarrassed to have the term "atheism" associated with the vicious and vindictive comments and incessant whingeing from so called "atheists" upset about Richard Dawkins website, because I notice that a lot of you are on here. Some of you are even writing press releases to spread the embarrassment even further.
Yeah, a dozen people were rude about an incompetent website admin on a completely different website half a day later and a few hundred were just as upset but generally polite. That's such outrageous behaviour.

No one here is writing press releases, information is being put out in the internet to counter misinformation such as the claim that the forum needed to be locked due to horrible comments that were made half a day after the forum was locked down.
Erm, actually I was trying to get someone to write one :hehe:

I'm trying to get information to news outlets before they end up just running with Richard's made up little story, as the OP here appears to have done.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

David M

Post by David M » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:03 am

95Theses wrote:
David M wrote:

Erm, actually I was trying to get someone to write one :hehe:

I'm trying to get information to news outlets before they end up just running with Richard's made up little story, as the OP here appears to have done.
Ok, I'll clarify that to be "No one here has written any press releases yet".

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:05 am

Rum wrote:What are you talking about? 'Regular atheists'??? It isn't a community. Its a group of people who don't believe something!

The anger is about lumpen, inconsiderate, unfeeling, insensitive and badly managed behaviour. That is about human beings treating each other badly, period.
The anger being displayed online is not coming from atheists, it's from fans (or ex-fans, as the case may be) of Richard Dawkins who are upset at whatever happened over the last week with his web team. Period.

The incessant whining and vicious comments being made about Richard Dawkins and his web team are completely unnecessary, has nothing to do with atheism and everything to do with the relationship between Richard Dawkins, his webteam and Richard Dawkins fans.

Most atheists I know are civilised, rational-thinking, liberal-minded and decent human beings who don't see the vicious vendetta and personal attacks on Richard Dawkins and his webteam as rational-thinking, civilised, liberal minded or decent.

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:09 am

Fred Kite wrote:
Rum wrote:What are you talking about? 'Regular atheists'??? It isn't a community. Its a group of people who don't believe something!

The anger being displayed online is not coming from atheists, it's from fans (or ex-fans, as the case may be) of Richard Dawkins who are upset at whatever happened over the last week with his web team. Period.

The incessant whining and vicious comments being made about Richard Dawkins and his web team are completely unnecessary, has nothing to do with atheism and everything to do with the relationship between Richard Dawkins, his webteam and Richard Dawkins fans.

Most atheists I know are civilised, rational-thinking, liberal-minded and decent human beings who don't see the vicious vendetta and personal attacks on Richard Dawkins and his webteam as rational-thinking, civilised, liberal minded or decent.
Oh nonsense.

He's guilty on his own website of quote mining and falsely representing the actual words of thousands of members of his site. What should we do? sit back and take it in case we offend someone else who doesn't believe in god too?

You're taking a tiny minority of quotes against Josh, some of which were taken out of context (thats a quote mine) and all of which were in the heat of the moment to represent us a bunch of frothing at the mouth lunatics.

it is clear you have no idea what happened or why we are angry about it, and I struggle to believe you are even actually reading all the comments being made about this.

floppit
Forum Mebmer

Post by floppit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am

Animavore wrote:The members of RDF aren't regular atheists?
It's nigh on impossible to have both a self selected and representative group - regardless of shared 'cause'.
"Whatever it is, it spits and it goes 'WAAARGHHHHHHHH' - that's probably enough to suggest you shouldn't argue with it." Mousy.

David M

Post by David M » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:14 am

Fred Kite wrote:

Complete steaming cow-patties.

The anger online is coming from atheists, among the people here that came from RDF theists and agnostics are rarer than hen's teeth. And a lot of people at the RD forum were not "fans" of Richard Dawkins, they were just members of a forum.

Yeah, criticism of demonstrable admin incompetence and lying is whining and being vicious. Do some real research before you spout any more nonsense, then stop insulting the members here.

To paraphrase something oft said to creationists "We have the screenshots and logs, We win".