A new home for refugees...

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Re: A new home for refugees...

Post by Kristie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Beatsong wrote:
Lazar wrote:Hey folks I wondered over to the new site. I feel bad about as all waltzing over here. Many thanks to Ratz.
People keep saying things like this and I'm not sure I get it.

This is a public forum that anyone can join, isn't it? I don't see anything about wanting to keep numbers down or anything.

To be honest I'd actually never heard of it before. Someone posted a link to it on the Reason Project, that I only noticed after RD.net went down.

So far noone from Ratz has said anything about feeling "overrun". We're obviously all interested in similar areas of discussion so it seems like a natural place to be. I see no reason to presume that it's a problem.

Though of course if it is a problem, someone from Ratz only has to say so.
There are a few members that feel overrun, but things just need time to settle down. Anyone that feels comfy cozy here is more than welcome to hang around, or at least make Ratz their second forum home. :cheers:
We danced.

HughMcB
Location: Toronto, Canada. . . . . . . . . . . . . (natural habitat: Ireland)

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:32 pm

FIO wrote:There are a few members that feel overrun, but things just need time to settle down. Anyone that feels comfy cozy here is more than welcome to hang around, or at least make Ratz their second forum home. :cheers:
Oh you wont be getting away that easily! :hugs:
Timonenfail wrote:We are all very excited about the new changes.
Quote-mine Dawkins wrote:If I ever had any doubts that RD.net needs to change, and rid itself of this particular aspect of Internet culture, they are dispelled by this episode.

fredbear

Post by fredbear » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 pm

thanks for all your hardwork. i've just signed up.

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

fredbear wrote:thanks for all your hardwork. i've just signed up.
Don't thank me thank LIFE (no literally, the user Life!)

He has been tirelessly running around like a headless chicked in the wee hours of the morning in Germany getting the whole thing set up.

So far we have the mods; MedGen, Starr, Fallible, Jain (and I believe hackenslash has been doing some mod duties) and the global mod; Peter Harrison, with the man of the hour Life, on the admin staff.
Quote-mine Dawkins wrote:If I ever had any doubts that RD.net needs to change, and rid itself of this particular aspect of Internet culture, they are dispelled by this episode.

SpeedOfSound

Post by SpeedOfSound » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I need some clarification. We all charged over here and barged in with the shit still on our boots. We raised a din and I think brought down the server. These guys here didn't even peep about the intrusion.

Now I feel dual obligated. One to stay here and contribute and two to get the hell out and give them some peace. My questions is: are topics here like 'Metaphysics is an error' the style of thing that they want here or should we bring that elsewhere?

Edit. I just spotted a post with my answers. Thanks. I just want to make damned sure y'all are ready for some of our hooligan philosophical arguments with those crazy idealists.
Favorite quote:
lifegazer says "Now, the only way to proceed to claim that brains create experience, is to believe that real brains exist (we certainly cannot study them). And if a scientist does this, he transcends the barriers of both science and metaphysics."

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:I need some clarification. We all charged over here and barged in with the shit still on our boots. We raised a din and I think brought down the server. These guys here didn't even peep about the intrusion.

Now I feel dual obligated. One to stay here and contribute and two to get the hell out and give them some peace. My questions is: are topics here like 'Metaphysics is an error' the style of thing that they want here or should we bring that elsewhere?

Edit. I just spotted a post with my answers. Thanks. I just want to make damned sure y'all are ready for some of our hooligan philosophical arguments with those crazy idealists.
We're an easy bunch around here. Post and see what comes up. The worst that can happen is that someone will tell you to sod off, but we do that all the time anyway. :biggrin:
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:I need some clarification. We all charged over here and barged in with the shit still on our boots. We raised a din and I think brought down the server. These guys here didn't even peep about the intrusion.

We are in now way promoting a schism.

In fact most people have gotten a taste of the sweet life here and have vowed to keep up their contributions (as the very well damn should!), however personally I just don't want to make people feel uneasy at the sudden influx of so many people. This is why we were hoping to deflect the bad press that Rationalia has gotten due to our mess by taking it on ourselves i.e. if you want to talk about what a cunt Josh is!

I for one am keeping up my posting and contributions to this fine place as all these people are just so damn sexy I couldn't ever resist.

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Before all this blew up we had decided that we didn't much care for chew toys but WTF sometimes it is nice to feel superior.
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Fact-Man

Post by Fact-Man » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 pm

I'd like to take this opportunity to post a comment that I just submitted to the Guardian's piece by Andrew Brown titled:

"The mutiny at RichardDawkins.Net - You need a rhino's hide to deal with with the angry atheists on Richard Dawkins' site
As one who was a participating member of the RDFnet forum for three years with more than 7,000 posts I can say that Bubblecar has it all wrong, dead wrong, in both of his comments. Horribly wrong. Unforgivingly wrong.

I can also attest to the notion that SimonGardner0, an old aquaintane from the site, has it dead right and I'd urge anyone who wants to know the truth of this matter to follow the link she provided in her comment. The story there was written by one of the unpaid, volunteer administrators who enjoyed a top notch reputation for his civility, integrity, honesty, and all round good character.

You can believe what he writes.

Prof. Dawkins is a busy man with a lot going on in his life. He didn't pay hardly any attention to the RDF forum, which he left to Josh Timonsen's management.

Josh elected to shut the site down whilst Prof. Dawkins was away in Australia on a speaking tour. Coincidence? Purposeful? We'll never know but it does not speak well. The announcement of a shutdown should more properly have come from Dawkins himself, not from a hireling.

The RDF forum was an envigorating and intellectually stimulating experience for me, a home away from home where I could be with like-minded folks in a warmly welcioming, receptive, and cordial atmosphere. Its membership formed a great community, one that shared the joys of new friendships and marriages and the pangs of deaths and losses, while providing a place where atheists stuck in the closet in some religious wilderness could feel safe and wecome. Thousands of members were of this kind.

Josh Timonsen destroyed that, without so much as a fare thee well, and in a fit of rage he deleted several thousand scientific posts that represented an exceedingly valuable resource for educators, students, and the public alike.

Shame on him.

Making the the RDF forum a read-only site, disabling its search function, deleting tens of thousans of posts, and many other shenanigans Josh pulled is tantamount to a Nazi book burning or a napalm drop on an innocent Vietnamese ville.

Professor Dawkins owes an unconditional apology to every member of the 85,000-strong community he allowed to be destroyed; moreover, he owes a full and complete explanation for how and why the shutdown was handled with such sloth, incompentcy, and lack of respect for human values.

Lastly, Professor Dawkins' reputation and the reputation of his Foundation have been dealt a serious blow by this turn of events, a blow methinks he will be hard-pressed to recover from any time soon. He betrayed the very cause he has fought so hard for.

Refugees from the RDF forum have gathered and formed a new website, http://www.rationalskepticism.org where the community is assembling and where it will carry on. All are welcome (ahem, save for cranks of assorted breeds!).

Thank you.
I noticed other one-time RDFers have also submitted comments to Brown's blog, which may be found at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... f-comments.

Thanks to them and especially to SimonGardner for her multiple comments aimed at clarifying things and to 95Theses for including the text of the letter being prepared for Dawkins in his/her comment.

Good job all! :td:
A crime was committed against us all.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Feck wrote:Before all this blew up we had decided that we didn't much care for chew toys but WTF sometimes it is nice to feel superior.
hey... I've seen several mentions of Chew Toys on these boards... given your canine av I'll go on a limb and guess it's a metaphor you impressed here, but metaphor for who or what exactly?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Equivokate

Post by Equivokate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Cant you belong to BOTH sites *torn between two Lovers* I love the leftfield anarchic spirit of this Forum AND best of all it is chock a block with RDF crew AGgggh

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Feck wrote:Before all this blew up we had decided that we didn't much care for chew toys but WTF sometimes it is nice to feel superior.
hey... I've seen several mentions of Chew Toys on these boards... given your canine av I'll go on a limb and guess it's a metaphor you impressed here, but metaphor for who or what exactly?
It's an RDF thing too, chew toys are usually creationists or some other brand of woo peddler, who come on, post shit, have it masticated over by dozens of people with brains, and end up feeling like they've passed through an elephant's digestive tract.

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:01 am

Equivokate wrote:*torn between two Lovers*
Threesome?! :naughty:

Equivokate

Post by Equivokate » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 am

HughMcB wrote:
Equivokate wrote:*torn between two Lovers*
Threesome?! :naughty:
LOL@HughB
Oh dear better not post up Latest Read on 'What are you reading? because I could end up in a Mass Flitration but thats another matter. :funny: :biggrin:
*missing RDF friend nearly gone a month* :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
But at least dear *friend* would approve of the *flirting* perhaps the love of my life is here. :pop: :qoti: :flowers:

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 am

Fact-Man wrote:All are welcome (ahem, save for cranks of assorted breeds!).
Dude! We want the cranks! What are we going to chew on when we get hungry?
Dogma is the death of the intellect