Are you leaving RD.net?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449

Are you leaving RD.net?

YES
61%
NO
4%
Don't know yet
25%
Danish Blue
10%

Total votes: 69

ozewiezeloose
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Are you leaving RD.net?

Post by ozewiezeloose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Anyone having their account deactivated?

Also: Is it even possible to have your account deactivated whilst not having all your posts deleted?
Last edited by ozewiezeloose on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

Re: Are you leaving RD.net?

Post by cowiz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:44 pm

You're a n00b so you are forgiven this time, but you must include a "Cheese" option on all polls - it's a Ratz law
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.

campermon

Post by campermon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 pm

ozewiezeloose wrote:Anyone having their account deactivated?

Also: Is it even possible to have your account deactivated whilst not having all your posts deleted?

You can deactivate your account by changing the email addy in your profile/settings to a non-existent address (at least this worked on older phpbb boards).

This should deactivate your account only.

Personally, I've mailed the admin team to request that my account be deleted.

I'm still a tad angry at the 'Laurel and Hardy'... :lol:

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Depends on what it really turns out to be. Despite all the ensuing drama, my opinion really hasn't changed from what I posted on the RD.net forum about 5 minutes after the original announcement.

If it remains roughly based on what it is now, discussion of "news" items that get posted 2-3 days after they've been discussed to death in the rest of the blogosphere, no. If they start generating more original content, then I'll probably hang around. Though the format probably means that I'll participate a whole lot less than I did in the forums.

Either way, I'll see what the new format looks like before deciding.
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

Harmless Eccentric

Post by Harmless Eccentric » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:51 pm

My first reaction when I saw the announcement was, "meh." I figured I'd wait and see what they were rolling out, give it a try, and decide how I liked it. Richard Dawkins doesn't owe me a playground, and if he wants something different, that's fine. If I don't like it, I won't use it.

But then when I tried to log in again everything was locked, and for a new-ish user like myself, it wasn't immediately obvious why. When I found this forum by googling for information, it seemed like the whole transition process had been managed in just about the worst possible way- if Dawkins' intent was to piss off his users as much as possible, this would be a pretty efficient way to do it.

I don't know... I'll probably take a look at the new thing when it rolls out, unless I've forgotten about rdnet entirely and just started hanging out elsewhere (or, god forbid, gone outside for some fresh air. Spring is coming, after all). I liked the community there, but Dawkins himself isn't any particular thrill for me- I've read several of his books, but I'm not exactly a squealing fangirl. If the new format is to be 'more Dawkins, less fun,' I doubt I'll visit as often or have as much to say.

TBickle

Post by TBickle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 pm

I'm done. I already sent an e-mail asking for my username to be closed out. I can stand rules being changed, but I don't like the manner in which people I respect were treated.

ozewiezeloose

Post by ozewiezeloose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:00 pm

pawiz wrote:You're a n00b so you are forgiven this time, but you must include a "Cheese" option on all polls - it's a Ratz law
FIXED!

EDIT: Meh. Sorry, lads and lasses. Looks like all the votes previous to the extra option have been deleted. Good think there weren't many. Yet.

campermon

Post by campermon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 pm

TBickle wrote:I'm done. I already sent an e-mail asking for my username to be closed out. I can stand rules being changed, but I don't like the manner in which people I respect were treated.
:td:

I was prepared to stick around and see the 'brave new world' but RD's statement really pissed me off and made up my mind!

TBickle

Post by TBickle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm

campermon wrote:
TBickle wrote:I'm done. I already sent an e-mail asking for my username to be closed out. I can stand rules being changed, but I don't like the manner in which people I respect were treated.

I was prepared to stick around and see the 'brave new world' but RD's statement really pissed me off and made up my mind!
It's good to see you here, Campermom. I agree, the statement by RD pissed me off and the thought of all of those permanently deleted posts because someone had a tantrum pisses me off.

ozewiezeloose

Post by ozewiezeloose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Just asked to be deleted.

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:09 pm

There are more than enough atheist/science sites out there that present articles in this manner, that I don't feel the need to subscribe to one that has Josh as the 'Editor' thanks.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Mazille

Post by Mazille » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:11 pm

It's not as if I could go back, even if I wanted. :lol:
Fuck them, I say. I have my people around me and well try to stick with them, if at all possible.

pcCoder

Post by pcCoder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm

I may stick around to see what it looks like. I think the problem may exist with any forum online that becomes reasonably large though. As a forum gets very large, it becomes even bigger than the owner of the forum, becoming a virtual community for people to meet up and chat. It can even provide anonymity which can be important especially if you are an atheist or other potential disliked group where your boss may fire you or society ostracize you if it becomes widely known, or even worse if you live in some parts of the world.

Imagine a city with a large population. The mayor declares one day that things are going to change in 30 days, not asking or discussing anything with the citizens. Then, when the mayor gets criticisms, decides to completely halt all city and business functions, and evict the citizens for the next 30 days, maybe even banishing some of them from returning. Okay, so it's not really the same, but it is a virtual city with a virtual population of netizens who have effectively been evicted. While the owner has the right to do whatever with the server/etc, I can understand the discontent the members would have as well.

campermon

Post by campermon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 pm

TBickle wrote:
campermon wrote:

It's good to see you here, Campermom. I agree, the statement by RD pissed me off and the thought of all of those permanently deleted posts because someone had a tantrum pisses me off.
Good to see you too! :cheers:

The treatment of the moderators was unforgivable, but the deletion of all the work of some of rdf's most prolific and serious posters was ..er..even more unforgiverable!
At the stage of hearing this I still had a thought that surely RD cannot be endorsing this...and now we know.

Shame on you Dickie.. :nono:

Wiðercora

Post by Wiðercora » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

At first, I thought they were just updating the forum. Then I thought they were replacing the forum, but still keeping a similar principle of 'unfettered discourse'. Now I've found out that the forum is being scrapped to be replaced with an upgraded version of the front page (or, at least, that's what I gather), probably not.
What do we want?
Gradual change!
When do we want it?
In due course!

"Just because Science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you."--Dara O'Briain