Saved RDF threads - thank you

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: Saved RDF threads - thank you

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Have you tried the alternative links mentioned in http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 15#p376615 ?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks, Kevin. I'll try Mozilla next, I suppose. Need to download it first, but it'll be worth the effort (provided it solves the problem, whatever it is).

Edit:
NineBerry wrote:Have you tried the alternative links mentioned in http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 15#p376615 ?
Whoops. Missed that post somehow. Still mystified why the downloads terminate prematurely, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Seraph wrote:Still mystified why the downloads terminate prematurely, though.
Not enough disk space?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Seraph wrote:Still mystified why the downloads terminate prematurely, though.
Not enough disk space?
New computer with nothing on it and a 1TB HD.

I just downloaded Firefox and am about to have another tilt at downloading your fantastic effort.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

johnawlock

Post by johnawlock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Charlou wrote:I can't tell you how much I appreciate this NineBerry. You've undertaken to do for the RDF community something Josh Timonen couldn't be arsed to do for months, and that is give the membership ready access to the post history of their forum.
That's really very true...

Moreover the Amazing Nineberry just got me back my own posts. And its not even gobbledegook (apart from the Robert Byers bits :lol: ). Completely readable. Je suis un lapin tres content.. :clap: :clap: Many thanks!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Re: Saved RDF threads - thank you!

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 pm

THWOTH wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:I cannot express in words my debt of gratitude to the hard work of all you guys who are working to archive that forum. I think we should club together and maybe get some small gifts for those concerned. You really are gems. :cheers: :hugs:
Yeah. Well done NineB. You should get a key to the Rationalia executive mini-bar now! :td:
He gets access to the stash-pile too. :flowerboy:
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 pm

I don't do drugs. Or alcohol.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 pm

johnawlock wrote:
Charlou wrote:I can't tell you how much I appreciate this NineBerry. You've undertaken to do for the RDF community something Josh Timonen couldn't be arsed to do for months, and that is give the membership ready access to the post history of their forum.
That's really very true...

Moreover the Amazing Nineberry just got me back my own posts. And its not even gobbledegook (apart from the Robert Byers bits :lol: ). Completely readable. Je suis un lapin tres content.. :clap: :clap: Many thanks!
:lol:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 pm

NineBerry wrote:I don't do drugs. Or alcohol.
Sugar?
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 am

Pappa wrote:
Sugar?
I am sugar!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:13 am

NineBerry wrote:
Pappa wrote:
Sugar?
I am sugar!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 am

WOW! :woot:

Finally got the download completed on the fourth attempt, installed 7-zip, extracted the files to a folder I named 'RDF archive' with a shortcut to the index file on the desktop. Works as advertised. You guys did a fucking fantastic job.

Thank you so much NineBerry and fuck you!*

Now I'll just have to explore ways of searching by keyword, author/keyword combination and so on.

*Sorry, I just could not resist to make use of the ambiguity that can be created with your aliases.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 am

NineBerry wrote:
Pappa wrote:
Sugar?
I am sugar!
Indeed, you are :flowers:

Many thanks again, to all the people who have worked to save the content of the former RDF forum and make it available to us. :cheers: :huggeroo:
no fences

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:43 am

Looks like there were more deletions since you archived what was available of the site. You preserved 4434 of Topsy's posts. Now Stalin Timonen has turned her into Nikolai Yezhov, People's Kommissar for Internal Affairs,

which is particularly ironic from my point of view, considering that I was awarded a board warning for calling her a Commissar.

fuck you & fuck your god
About me: aka mechtheist
Off my meds again

Post by fuck you & fuck your god » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 am

Seraph wrote:WOW! :woot:

Finally got the download completed on the fourth attempt, installed 7-zip, extracted the files to a folder I named 'RDF archive' with a shortcut to the index file on the desktop. Works as advertised. You guys did a fucking fantastic job.

Thank you so much NineBerry and fuck you!*

Now I'll just have to explore ways of searching by keyword, author/keyword combination and so on.

*Sorry, I just could not resist to make use of the ambiguity that can be created with your aliases.
It has such marvelous possibilities, here it looks like you are saying to NineBerry "Thanks and fuck you", that isn't very nice!!! Especially considering he did all the work, I just 'caddied' a bit for him.

Alas, my fit of pique dwindled to an indolent crankiness and upon entering our new home, I once again changed my name to 'crank'. Thank you for helping me get some good mileage out of that one :td:
Image Image Image
Is life not a hundred times too short for us to stifle ourselves--Nietzsche