Abortion USA

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Abortion USA

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:37 am

There are many things we could do. We are not willing to do them. We don’t feel strongly enough about protecting these rights.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Abortion USA

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:38 am

If the Democrats do poorly in upcoming elections things may be different.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:42 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:38 am
If the Democrats do poorly I may need to move to Minnesota.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:47 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:There are many things we could do. We are not willing to do them. We don’t feel strongly enough about protecting these rights.
Indeed. Access to contraception, perinatal healthcare, and abortion services should be considered a human right. But as we're only talking about womb-owners exercising this right, then "Meh" I guess.

Of course, we could talk about families, or couples having these rights too, but in reality why should womb-owners exercise a benefit which testicle-swingers can't access! Won't somebody please think about the men for a change?!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:23 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:42 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:38 am
If the Democrats do poorly I may need to move to Minnesota.
Thanks. We don't need your kind here. We already got plenty. We're trying to convince governor Walz to bus them to red states.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:21 pm

Haha. I'll have my fellow Finns in the Northern Woods get me an honorary Minnesota.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:55 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:37 am
There are many things we could do. We are not willing to do them. We don’t feel strongly enough about protecting these rights.
You need to define the "we" there, Sean. Do you mean Americans in general? Fairly impossible, given Trumpists...

Or do you mean Democrats in general? Or Democrats (and fellow liberal/progressives) in particular states, perhaps the ones restricting abortions? Or do you specifically mean your fellow progressive Texans?

And, what are those "many things" you can do? Political protests, working hard in election years to sway votes, or armed insurrection?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Abortion USA

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:05 pm

I’m talking about all of us who have said a woman’s right to manage her reproductive health is an essential one. My claim is just that we obviously don’t feel that strongly about it.

For example, the Houston clinic stopped providing abortions immediately after the decision.

Did they have no plan?

We could have kept it open. Volunteers could have prevented law enforcement from shutting it down for a time. We could have taken advantage of such a situation in the media. Immediately after law enforcement succeeded our friends in the media could reveal the volunteers associated with that fight are now working in secret to provide abortions elsewhere —the point not being to provide easy access but to defy authority, stay in the media, generate more support…

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:47 pm

OK, you US experts... I just heard of a doctor lady who intends to build a floating women's health clinic that will sail the gulf to bring medicines, abortions, and other good things to the ladies from the crazy states bordering it... only restriction it has to stay in federal/international waters.

Now, my source stated that it meant the ship has to stay 9 nmi from the coasts of Texas, but only 3 from those of Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabame...

Why is there a difference?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:55 pm

38B91E8C-29F3-4DC1-BC8A-899BE6A89DB3.png
There are actual foreign countries near Florida so it has to claim less. There is also oil drilling in the gulf near Texas.

However, some of these claims are just for resources. I think the rule for the state, areas to be ruled by coast guard, is always the same:
Territorial Sea
Each coastal State may claim a territorial sea that extends seaward up to 12 nautical miles (nm) from its baselines. The coastal State exercises sovereignty over its territorial sea, the airspace above it, and the seabed and subsoil beneath it. Foreign flag ships enjoy the right of innocent passage while transiting the territorial sea subject to laws and regulations adopted by the coastal State that are in conformity with the Law of the Sea Convention and other rules of international law relating to such passage. The U.S. claimed a 12 nm territorial sea in 1988 (Presidential Proclamation No. 5928, December 27, 1988).

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:05 pm

Abortion should be banned except in very specific circumstances. The rights of the unborn are paramount. I knowI'm on the wrong side of history right now, but in the fullness of time the temporary consensus today will be seen for the aberration it is - a result of overpopulation rather than rational thinking. When population bottoms out at around 500million globally the sense in protecting the rights of the unborn will become fairly apparent. Whose gonna plough the fields with a ever decreasing population after all?
WeAreAStableCountry

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:22 pm

Well, in your case, abortion should have been done, your apocalyptic obsessed unborn soul would have loved it all the way to heavens

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:47 pm
OK, you US experts... I just heard of a doctor lady who intends to build a floating women's health clinic that will sail the gulf to bring medicines, abortions, and other good things to the ladies from the crazy states bordering it... only restriction it has to stay in federal/international waters.

Now, my source stated that it meant the ship has to stay 9 nmi from the coasts of Texas, but only 3 from those of Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabame...

Why is there a difference?
Texas entered the United States after being an independent republic "liberated" from Mexico. It kept the old Spanish boundaries for territorial waters (three leagues--roughly 9 nautical miles) that had persisted under Mexico when it entered the union.
State boundaries in open waters of the United States were first defined in the 1940s over concerns about rights for oil under submerged lands. In a 1947 landmark case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against the state of California, saying the federal government held rights in all submerged lands of the Pacific seaward of the low-water mark. The U.S. Supreme Court gave a similar ruling against Louisiana and Texas.

Congress then created the Submerged Lands Act of 1953, which declared that states owned the submerged lands, and the natural resources within, seaward out to three nautical miles. In some cases, a state’s boundary may be extended if beyond the standard three nautical miles from the coast if that extension of rights was declared before achieving statehood. It is worth noting that a nautical mile is slightly longer than a statutory mile.

[source -- Emphasis mine. -L'E.]

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:12 pm

thanks pal :tup:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:32 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:05 pm
Abortion should be banned except in very specific circumstances. The rights of the unborn are paramount. I knowI'm on the wrong side of history right now, but in the fullness of time the temporary consensus today will be seen for the aberration it is - a result of overpopulation rather than rational thinking. When population bottoms out at around 500million globally the sense in protecting the rights of the unborn will become fairly apparent. Whose gonna plough the fields with a ever decreasing population after all?
I'm amazed that they have internet in your century. :coffee: