Strawman arguments?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: Strawman arguments?

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 am

jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
jamest wrote: I thought you guys were easy going on the insult front? :ask:
In theory, it stops heated discussions developing into flame wars. Calling someone a cunt is fine as long as it is clearly in jest. Calling someone a cunt because, by way of example, they are trying to second-guess the scientific community about the nature of some misleadingly-named physical phenomenon when they really don't have a clue what they are talking about, would be a no-no. :tea:
I see what you did there. You're obviously a clever cunt. ;)
Far better than being a stupid one, in my experience. :tea:
Stupid cunts don't exist beyond the experience of them. :hehe:
Experiencing a cunt is an event that far transcends any consideration of its intelligence, in my experience. :levi:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:43 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
piscator wrote:No. Seth was right about the intolerance and Scott being a snotty douche in the classic RatSkep mode. And Xam was right about the personal attack call, as Seth willfully chewed through his leash in that post.
I'll have you know that I am well respected by people of discernment, I take antihistamines for post nasal drip, and I don't like vinegar and water
BTW, how is what Piscator wrote not also a personal attack?
It is. Just not a very severe case. A matter of degree and frequency. Seth doesn't resort to personal attacks too often but, when he does, it's usually with very little ambiguity. :biggrin:

There's no way we are going to sanction everyone that calls someone else a twit or stupid. We could if we wanted but, hey, that's fucking WORK, dude! :nono: We are pretty arbitrary beasties. No hard and fast rules. But if we think you are coming on too strong, we will let you know. And, if you think someone else is coming on too strong, there's a little button with an R on it. Report them. We'll probably ignore it cos we're lazy fuckers. But at least you can say you tried. :tup:
No worries, just wondering how it works around here.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:Feminism is a man hating ideology and if you subscribe to that ideology you are a man hater by default.
Bullshit! Fucking strawman2!

Read my post above. :tea:
I wanted to reply to that bullshit as well, but it was too hard on crapatalk. I consider myself a feminist, and I don't hate myself. In fact, I'm Fucking awesome! :awesome:
Ho noes, I'm trembling with fear. Do yourself a favour Rev and empty your sack into some Indian hookers. I even admit I'm poor at debating though even I will be able to blow out the water any arguments from a (so called) sceptic who follows an ideology. This is because all ideologies are simply an indefensible position to hold anyway. Also all male feminists are self loathing males so the misandric position still applies, so get yourself to an Internet cafe and have at it.
It's good to see you're back on the piss again, Dave. When you are sober you almost make cogent arguments that require a response. That's too much like hard work...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:57 am

Svartalf wrote:
jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:By the way, Seth. This post earlier in the thread contains a clear personal attack. Next one gets you a holiday.
This is unfair as the mistake was mine and I take full responsibility for it, Scott1328 and Seth where but bit players in it.
Show me where you called another member an idiot or an asshole and I'll gladly warn you as well. It is quite possible to debate forcibly without personal insults. We don't like that here - no matter how "justified" the poster believes it to be - and it is pretty much our only serious rule. Seth knows that and he takes his lumps.
I thought you guys were easy going on the insult front? :ask:
Yes and no, personal attacks and insults are one of the few offences that can get you 24h or a week of vacation... after a lot of warnings so you know it's coming when it eventually drops. Seth has had a few, I never had time to notice he was gone.
And truth be told, enforcement is a bit spotty. rEv and I toss barbs about all the time, but I think the mods have finally figured out it's all just good fun. But every once and a while they have to pull out the whip and give the bad boys a lash or two when things threaten to blow up. I'm actually quite impressed at the level of non-moderation lately. It's a nicer place if we can snipe a bit and trade good-natured barbs but over the top insults get noticed.

Kudos to the mod staff of late. And I don't think I've ever said that about mods, ever, anywhere, so it has some meaning.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:59 am

piscator wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
piscator wrote:No. Seth was right about the intolerance and Scott being a snotty douche in the classic RatSkep mode. And Xam was right about the personal attack call, as Seth willfully chewed through his leash in that post.
I'll have you know that I am well respected by people of discernment, I take antihistamines for post nasal drip, and I don't like vinegar and water

No offense meant, mate. :cheers:
And none taken.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:01 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
It is. Just not a very severe case. A matter of degree and frequency. Seth doesn't resort to personal attacks too often but, when he does, it's usually with very little ambiguity. :biggrin:
Very little? I strive for absolutely no ambiguity at all. If I'm going to take a va-kay I want it to be worth it.
There's no way we are going to sanction everyone that calls someone else a twit or stupid. We could if we wanted but, hey, that's fucking WORK, dude! :nono: We are pretty arbitrary beasties. No hard and fast rules. But if we think you are coming on too strong, we will let you know. And, if you think someone else is coming on too strong, there's a little button with an R on it. Report them. We'll probably ignore it cos we're lazy fuckers. But at least you can say you tried. :tup:
This comes as close to "don't moderate if nobody complains" as any forum I've ever experienced, and I like it a lot.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:02 am

Scott1328 wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:

No worries, just wondering how it works around here.
Pretty goddamn well at the moment! :td:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 am

Now I'm fuckin' worried.

Seth thinks we're moderating well... :?

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:08 am

Scott1328 wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
Oh ffs, here we go. Get over it. It's openly subjective here, unlike fascism central where it's subjective too to a degree but they get themselves in knots trying to pretend it's objective.

It's not necessary to sanction every little thing. That's the difference.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:11 am

Seth wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
jamest wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote: This is unfair as the mistake was mine and I take full responsibility for it, Scott1328 and Seth where but bit players in it.
Show me where you called another member an idiot or an asshole and I'll gladly warn you as well. It is quite possible to debate forcibly without personal insults. We don't like that here - no matter how "justified" the poster believes it to be - and it is pretty much our only serious rule. Seth knows that and he takes his lumps.
I thought you guys were easy going on the insult front? :ask:
Yes and no, personal attacks and insults are one of the few offences that can get you 24h or a week of vacation... after a lot of warnings so you know it's coming when it eventually drops. Seth has had a few, I never had time to notice he was gone.
And truth be told, enforcement is a bit spotty. rEv and I toss barbs about all the time, but I think the mods have finally figured out it's all just good fun. But every once and a while they have to pull out the whip and give the bad boys a lash or two when things threaten to blow up. I'm actually quite impressed at the level of non-moderation lately. It's a nicer place if we can snipe a bit and trade good-natured barbs but over the top insults get noticed.

Kudos to the mod staff of late. And I don't think I've ever said that about mods, ever, anywhere, so it has some meaning.
:this:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am

Can't fix the above quote soup with crapatalk. Hopefully you can work it out.

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:29 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:
Oh ffs, here we go. Get over it. It's openly subjective here, unlike fascism central where it's subjective too to a degree but they get themselves in knots trying to pretend it's objective.

It's not necessary to sanction every little thing. That's the difference.
Help I'm being repressed

Hey everyone! come see the violence inherent in the system.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Ok

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:09 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:Feminism is a man hating ideology and if you subscribe to that ideology you are a man hater by default.
Bullshit! Fucking strawman2!

Read my post above. :tea:
I wanted to reply to that bullshit as well, but it was too hard on crapatalk. I consider myself a feminist, and I don't hate myself. In fact, I'm Fucking awesome! :awesome:
Ho noes, I'm trembling with fear. Do yourself a favour Rev and empty your sack into some Indian hookers. I even admit I'm poor at debating though even I will be able to blow out the water any arguments from a (so called) sceptic who follows an ideology. This is because all ideologies are simply an indefensible position to hold anyway. Also all male feminists are self loathing males so the misandric position still applies, so get yourself to an Internet cafe and have at it.
It's good to see you're back on the piss again, Dave. When you are sober you almost make cogent arguments that require a response. That's too much like hard work...
It was the weekend and loads of footy was on, god you're a miserable sod sometimes.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:15 pm

"miserable"?? I'm all good. Just calling bullshit when I see it. Ranting Dave is amusing in a sense, but definitely doesn't require a serious response.