Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Post Reply
User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62945
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by JimC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Babel wrote:
Svartalf wrote:So practicing muslims are a polyracial group to a greater extent than Jews... they are still a bunch of racial groups.
I'm pretty sure that we agree on that. My gripe with the modnote from Kiore was that, when I asked him about it, that this didn't go for muslim or christians. I don't know if you have been to ratskep lately, but mocking or vilifying christians/muslims isn't acted against. That double standard was what was buggin me.
Mocking and vilifying religions is fun!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
piscator
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am
Location: The Big BSOD
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by piscator » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:31 pm

Image

User avatar
Lion IRC
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 am
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by Lion IRC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Muslims are a fucking blight, though they are even more diverse than Jews... I wouldn't put a Sufi, or a Persian shi'ite in the same bag as a sunni arab, or worse, a salafist or wahhabite.
I'd say Islam is a blight. Muslims can be quite pleasant.
I'd rather live next door to a Muslim than an atheist.
Why?
Check out exhibit 'A'

User avatar
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
Posts: 13416
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 am
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:04 am

Lion IRC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Muslims are a fucking blight, though they are even more diverse than Jews... I wouldn't put a Sufi, or a Persian shi'ite in the same bag as a sunni arab, or worse, a salafist or wahhabite.
I'd say Islam is a blight. Muslims can be quite pleasant.
I'd rather live next door to a Muslim than an atheist.
Why?
Check out exhibit 'A'
I don't get it.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

User avatar
piscator
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am
Location: The Big BSOD
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by piscator » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 am

Robert_S wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:

I'd rather live next door to a Muslim than an atheist.
Why?
Check out exhibit 'A'
I don't get it.

he lives on a traffic circle Because he lives on a traffic circle

User avatar
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
Posts: 13416
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 am
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:09 am

I'd rather live next door to a Muslim than an atheist as well. But I'd also rather live next door to an atheist than a Muslim.

I mean, it depends on which Muslim and which atheist you have in mind.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62945
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:01 am

I'd rather live next door to a stripper who was forgetful about small details like curtains on bedroom windows...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62945
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:29 am

Mr.Samsa, this post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1573448

contains a personal attack on another member. This is a reminder not to post such attacks in future.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51226
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:38 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Mr. Samsa wrote:Eh, if it wasn't that comment then they'd just find another to warn me for to get rid of me. They were pissed off that they weren't allowed to permaban me a while back so they've just been racking up bullshit warnings and advice so they can try to make it look justified. If you look at the thread where I got my warning and see some of the comments that went without warning, it's amazing that they somehow singled mine out. There were like 3-4 pages of derail where Cito just kept bringing up posts I'd made elsewhere on the forum and criticising me for them despite having no relevance to the topic.
Ha join the club, they couldn't ban me for rules violations so they started to almost make stuff up (not wanting Muslims immigrants was now racist). Finally perm banned me with only 4 warmings, and I was about to lose two of them :hehe:
They pretty much banned you because you are a douchebag. No one was morning your loss to the forum.
So you are fine with the FUA not being followed when it happens to someone who's opinions you don't like. Doesn't that undermine your own position on how the mods behave over there.
I said at the time that I don't support the permaban. Tyrannical was a racist troll, so deserved warnings. But regardless of any of that, virtually no one was sorry to see him go.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
Posts: 13416
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 am
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:11 pm

If they keep banning non-trolls, maybe Rationalia will have some fresh life breathed into it.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

User avatar
tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
Posts: 21541
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:59 pm
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.
Location: Marmite-upon-Toast, Wankershire
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by tattuchu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:14 pm

JimC wrote:I'd rather live next door to a stripper who was forgetful about small details like curtains on bedroom windows...
I'd rather live next to a teacher who gets drunk and forgets to wear her pants! Where were these teachers when I was a kid?! Fuck yeah!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/0 ... 56373.html

Oh wait. Nevermind :?
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

User avatar
Fallible
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 pm
About me: pronoun; the objective case of I, used as a direct or indirect object.
Location: Scouseland
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by Fallible » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Robert_S wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:Check out exhibit 'A'
I don't get it.
Someone said something mean to him so he has to take it out in all atheists. Luckily I often enjoy knowing that Lion doesn't live next to me, so it comes across as more reassurance than insult.
Don't be afraid of what they'll say.
Who cares what cowards think anyway?
They will understand one day,
One day.
- Yann Tiersen

Image

User avatar
Fallible
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 pm
About me: pronoun; the objective case of I, used as a direct or indirect object.
Location: Scouseland
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by Fallible » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:53 pm

JimC wrote:Mr.Samsa, this post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1573448

contains a personal attack on another member. This is a reminder not to post such attacks in future.
Cito de Penie said I was thick! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Don't be afraid of what they'll say.
Who cares what cowards think anyway?
They will understand one day,
One day.
- Yann Tiersen

Image

User avatar
DaveDodo007
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:35 am
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Mr. Samsa wrote:Eh, if it wasn't that comment then they'd just find another to warn me for to get rid of me. They were pissed off that they weren't allowed to permaban me a while back so they've just been racking up bullshit warnings and advice so they can try to make it look justified. If you look at the thread where I got my warning and see some of the comments that went without warning, it's amazing that they somehow singled mine out. There were like 3-4 pages of derail where Cito just kept bringing up posts I'd made elsewhere on the forum and criticising me for them despite having no relevance to the topic.
Ha join the club, they couldn't ban me for rules violations so they started to almost make stuff up (not wanting Muslims immigrants was now racist). Finally perm banned me with only 4 warmings, and I was about to lose two of them :hehe:
They pretty much banned you because you are a douchebag. No one was morning your loss to the forum.
So you are fine with the FUA not being followed when it happens to someone who's opinions you don't like. Doesn't that undermine your own position on how the mods behave over there.
I said at the time that I don't support the permaban. Tyrannical was a racist troll, so deserved warnings. But regardless of any of that, virtually no one was sorry to see him go.
OK, fair enough.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 9726
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Pre-Modernist
Location: Africa
Contact:

Re: Rationalskepticism,lol part III.

Post by rainbow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:30 pm

rEvolutionist wrote: I said at the time that I don't support the permaban. Tyrannical was a racist troll, so deserved warnings. But regardless of any of that, virtually no one was sorry to see him go.
I disagree.

The best way of fighting racism is letting racists speak out and make complete fools of themselves. Tyrannical is a master at this.
Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna copy you

Jimi Hendrix

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests