For Reason and Science?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: For Reason and Science?

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Unless you have evidence similar to that you have for his improprieties with the "charity", you might be going a bit far on that limb, Heather.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Exactly. I'd stick to the governance and financial issues with RDF, if I were you. There are clearly and objectively some issues there, but when you start going down the path of discussing personal, particularly sexual aspects of RD's behaviour, people will see your campaign as nothing more than a personal grudge, expressed somewhat compulsively...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:31 am

Yes - it's the fact that there's so much interplay between the two. He didn't really try very hard to keep RDF and his personal life separate. There was even a sense in which the secret financial arrangements made for RDF were intended to keep the wool over his wife's eyes.

It was all inappropriately personal, right from the very beginning.

But yes...

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:57 pm

lordpasternack wrote:Yes - it's the fact that there's so much interplay between the two. He didn't really try very hard to keep RDF and his personal life separate. There was even a sense in which the secret financial arrangements made for RDF were intended to keep the wool over his wife's eyes.

It was all inappropriately personal, right from the very beginning.

But yes...
I am so tempted to ask my boss at the charity I'm involved with, what she thinks of someone setting up a charitable organisation, then using the funds to finance the upkeep of a courtesan. Which is in effect what's happening here.

I suspect my boss will be wheeling out the words "Serious Fraud Squad" in pretty short order.

Mind you, I note with interest a hypothesis that has been presented here, namely, that the enemy, so to speak, is deliberately saying nothing about this, in order to avoid drawing attention to even more serious instances of fraud that they are currently engaged in. It would make at least some sense, with respect to the fact that they're resoundingly silent over this, which in the absence of fraud of their own to hide, doesn't make an atom of sense at all to me.

However, this hypothesis opens up another question. Namely, how egregious does one's abuse of charitable status have to be, before the authorities will move and start handing out prison terms without external prodding? At what level of dishonesty are these people spurred into action? I am probably not the only one here, wondering what largesse I could have helped myself to, if only I'd been shot through with the requisite level of mendacity.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah. For some reason, mistress slush funds aren't normally granted exemption under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS tax code, and aren't usually sanctioned as a permissable purpose of an exempt organisation...
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Now you can take out a subscription to help Dawkins finance ... whatever it is the the foundations funds finance. And look at what you get for your money! Like wow!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:15 pm

That is so sad.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:54 pm

lordpasternack wrote:Let's put it another way - Richard probably has a history of getting himself into sexual relationships loaded with conflict of interest and temptation to professional impropriety. He's probably indulged in a good bit of professional impropriety.

Those kinds of relationships are hard enough to manage responsibly for people who actually have fully developed social skills.
Perhaps he just has a jean-centered view of procreation?

I'll get my coat………
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm guessing The Darwin Circle includes a bottle of champaign en-suite? You could get me for a mere $500 and I'll remove my socks too. :whisper:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:Let's put it another way - Richard probably has a history of getting himself into sexual relationships loaded with conflict of interest and temptation to professional impropriety. He's probably indulged in a good bit of professional impropriety.

Those kinds of relationships are hard enough to manage responsibly for people who actually have fully developed social skills.

I'll get my coat………
Selfish jeans?
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

JimC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

I'll get my coat………
Selfish jeans?
But did he ever get involved with a selfish Jean?
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Or Shellfish Jean...

(a famous bearded clam...)
And my gin!

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Erm.....What's happening then?
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Dawkins has converted to Islam, and pronounced a Fatwah against all the members of his old forum...
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:36 am

Yeah well but he's a fucking apostate. He's on The List, if you know what I mean. nudge nudge wink wink.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.