The Effects of Online Bullying

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

The Effects of Online Bullying

Post by cowiz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Whatever you think about Jen McCreight (Blag Hag), the bullying she testifies she has received is abominable and has forced her to abandon her hobby of blogging at FtB due to her own concenrs foe her mental health.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... e-for-now/
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Re: The Effects of Online Bullying

Post by Azathoth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 pm

:violin:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 pm

One down...

Edit: Actually this was tongue in cheek and I should make that obvious. I think it is a shame if someone is hounded off the Internet in the way she describes.

8-)

No - really.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm

also this:

Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Oh fuck, I find myself agreeing with cowiz. There really is no excuse for turning an ideological disagreement into personal harrassment and insults.

If you don't like what somebody says, then ignore them - the interwebz is big enough for everyone.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Oh fuck, I find myself agreeing with cowiz. There really is no excuse for turning an ideological disagreement into personal harrassment and insults.

If you don't like what somebody says, then ignore them - the interwebz is big enough for everyone.
If she and her ilk had taken that advice perhaps this whole "ideological" disagreement could have been avoided in the first place. The problem is Xam that not only did she and her allies not ignore what others had said, because they didn't like what they had said, they chose to exaggerate positions, stifle debate, abuse and malign people online and in some cases allegedly attempt to ruin their real life careers. All because they did not like what someone had said. After the bollocks with Myers someone posted Pappa's docs on that site, what was the intent of that if not to harrass? It is the behaviour of her and her colleagues at FtB which encouraged insults and harassment of those who even asked them to explain the reasoning for their ideological thinking which is really what caused the response she is now complaining about.

To use their favourite phrase. You don't get to belong to a gang of arrogant self righteous bullies and then claim your being victimised by the backlash.

Boo fucking hoo.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Sorry, but I haven't been keeping close tabs on all this. Was she one of those who was bullying Papa a while back? :coffee:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 pm

If you start a new movement and become the leader to right the perceived wrongs of the present movement, then quit when you hit the first hurdle, you might want to realize that you are not cut out for this leadership malarkey.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:20 am

Just read her signing out post ... she doesn't seem to be make value judgements about anyone in it, just honestly stating the effect a rather intense debate and the associated abuse towards her is having. Rather than tell people they shouldn't be involved, or making such comments to her, she's taking a step away. Taking it at face value, it looks like a pragmatic I can't stand the heat so I'm leaving the kitchen decision, to me.

As for online abuse/bullying ... or abuse/bullying wherever it happens ... I'm not shocked or even surprised by it, but it does make me question human empathy.
no fences

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Post by Twoflower » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 am

I think it's sad that she was bullied so much, I agree with Cowiz and XC there is no reason to bully anyone like that. It's stupid and childish to send people hurtful messages.
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 am

There are a couple of things she says in her post that I take issue with, but can't be arsed to comment on those. Everyone's pissing into the wind here.
no fences

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 am

I damn sure wouldn't tell any bullies that they won or had got the better of me for pretty much the same reasons that I would try not to bleed in the water if I were in a rubber raft in shark infested water.

But if she has her own reasons, that's her business.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 am

Audley Strange wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Oh fuck, I find myself agreeing with cowiz. There really is no excuse for turning an ideological disagreement into personal harrassment and insults.

If she and her ilk had taken that advice perhaps this whole "ideological" disagreement could have been avoided in the first place. The problem is Xam that not only did she and her allies not ignore what others had said, because they didn't like what they had said, they chose to exaggerate positions, stifle debate, abuse and malign people online and in some cases allegedly attempt to ruin their real life careers. All because they did not like what someone had said. After the bollocks with Myers someone posted Pappa's docs on that site, what was the intent of that if not to harrass? It is the behaviour of her and her colleagues at FtB which encouraged insults and harassment of those who even asked them to explain the reasoning for their ideological thinking which is really what caused the response she is now complaining about.

To use their favourite phrase. You don't get to belong to a gang of arrogant self righteous bullies and then claim your being victimised by the backlash.

Boo fucking hoo.
So two wrongs make a right. OK, I get it. :roll:

At the risk of repeating myself, there really is no excuse for turning an ideological disagreement into personal harrassment and insults even if the other guy does it first!

By all means post comments on her blog criticising her actions - but to escalate that into personal abuse is childish and surrenders the highground immediately.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 am

Absolutely, XC...

Trenchant criticism of the faults of someone's ideological position is one thing...

Personal attacks, particularly those which resonate with real world fears such as "I'll rape you, you bitch" are quite another...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

Post by cowiz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:40 pm

I sent her an email stating my support of her decision and she was kind enough to reply. I don't always agree with her, nor would I expect to, but she's always been an interesting blogger, brought Boobquake into our consciousness, and has been daring enough to challenge. She's one of the less reactionary Skepchicks IMHO. Shame to see her bullied off the scene, but she did tell me she will be back after a long hiatus and some navel gazing.
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.