The Effects of Online Bullying

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
A Hermit

Re: The Effects of Online Bullying

Post by A Hermit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:30 am

Pappa wrote:
Needs more boobs.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... f-atheism/
I’ve always considered myself a feminist, but I used to be one of those teenagers who assumed the awesome ladies before me had solved everything. But Boobquake made me wake up. What I originally envisioned as an empowering event about supporting women’s freedoms and calling out dangerous superstitious thinking devolved into “Show us your tits!” I received sexual invitations from strangers around the country. When I appeared or spoke at atheist events, there was always a flood of comments about my chest and appearance.
So, faced with a choice between a little human empathy and compassion and the chance to make a boob joke you go with the boob joke.

Way to prove her point there Pappa you ignorant fuck.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:58 am

You're wanting to get banned so you can run home to FTB or wherever and claim victim status, aren't ya, A Hermit?

It's the A+ way. :levi:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:10 am

:ele:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:35 am

A Hermit,

With reference to this post, let me remind you again that personal insults are not allowed here (unless clearly in jest), This is a warning that any further breaches of this rule will result in a short suspension of your account.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Well boobquake was a success then. It proved we men are animals and thus those Iranian theocrats had a point after all.

Oh wait!

Comedy politics. Keep em coming.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

A Hermit

Post by A Hermit » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:32 am

Nibbler wrote:You're wanting to get banned so you can run home to FTB or wherever and claim victim status, aren't ya, A Hermit?
Well it's a tactic that works so well for their critics....isn't it? :smoke:

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:49 am

A Hermit wrote:
Nibbler wrote:You're wanting to get banned so you can run home to FTB or wherever and claim victim status, aren't ya, A Hermit?
Who's claimed to be a victim here? Name names, I hear plussers are all about that.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 am

Nibbler wrote:
A Hermit wrote:
Who's claimed to be a victim here? Name names, I hear plussers are all about that.
That's more of a PZ thing.

I think A+ers at least have enough sense to not order people to shove decaying porcupines up their rectums. I wonder if that ever triggered something in a sexually abused person. :thinks:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 am

Robert_S wrote:
Nibbler wrote:
A Hermit wrote:

I think A+ers at least have enough sense to not order people to shove decaying porcupines up their rectums. I wonder if that ever triggered something in a sexually abused person. :thinks:
1. If sufficiently decayed, it may not be spiny any more. Slimy, sure, but not spiny...
2. Ordering is one thing, obeying is another...
3. In any case, I always prefer the old stand-by, "Go stick your head up a dead bear's bum"
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Badger3k
About me: Just talkin' claptrap. Lilith Rules!

The Effects of Online Bullying

Post by Badger3k » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 am

Robert_S wrote:
Nibbler wrote:
A Hermit wrote:

Well, a short time back PZ finally stepped in and said enough with the porcupines. I think the current favorite may be "die in a fire". Which leads to the odd idea that telling someone to (perhaps) kill themselves or (perhaps) be murdered by an arsonist, isn't a threat. So carrying that thought forward, if someone writes, say, Watson or Jen, and says they hope they kill themselves, that's not a threat. I mean, unless the A+ people like wowbagger (the latest I know about) aren't above making internet threats to people - that would be hypocritical of them. Can't be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 am

JimC wrote: 3. In any case, I always prefer the old stand-by, "Go stick your head up a dead bear's bum"
:awesome: Haven't heard that aul one in an age!
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Doubtdispelled

Post by Doubtdispelled » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 pm

PordFrefect wrote:The bullying/threats/vitriol Richard Dawkins receives on a regular basis is well known and yet I don't see the bleeding heart brigade forming ranks behind him. I have to wonder why Jennifer McCreight or Rebecca Watson don't follow the same pattern. They've made themselves into public figures. They may have had traumatic/abusive childhoods, but so did Dawkins. So why the deferential treatment of their apparent inability to handle internet trolls? Is it because they are *gasp* women?
I don't know about deferential, but any sympathy for them might just be generated by the simple fact that they are being hounded and abused by people demonstrating exactly the same attitudes and tactics that they were complaining about in the first place........

The sheer irony of it is killing me.

:bored:
We used to laugh a lot
But only because we thought
That everything good always would remain
Nothing's gonna change there's no need to complain
- Jack Johnson.

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
PordFrefect wrote:The bullying/threats/vitriol Richard Dawkins receives on a regular basis is well known and yet I don't see the bleeding heart brigade forming ranks behind him. I have to wonder why Jennifer McCreight or Rebecca Watson don't follow the same pattern. They've made themselves into public figures. They may have had traumatic/abusive childhoods, but so did Dawkins. So why the deferential treatment of their apparent inability to handle internet trolls? Is it because they are *gasp* women?
I don't know about deferential, but any sympathy for them might just be generated by the simple fact that they are being hounded and abused by people demonstrating exactly the same attitudes and tactics that they were complaining about in the first place........

Doubtdispelled! :hiwave:
Out of the people that ever were, almost all of them are dead.
There are way more dead people, and you're all gonna die
and then you're gonna be dead for way longer than you're alive.
Like that's mostly what you're ever gonna be.
You're just dead people that didn't die yet.
--Louis C.K.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

That Alien Guy.
About me: Stuck here for another 18.35 rotations.

Post by That Alien Guy. » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Chimpanzees tend to oust the weak and useless.

Doubtdispelled

Post by Doubtdispelled » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:21 pm

That Alien Guy. wrote: Chimpanzees tend to oust the weak and useless.
Is that why you can't wait to get away?

:biggrin:

Hi Hades! :dance:
We used to laugh a lot
But only because we thought
That everything good always would remain
Nothing's gonna change there's no need to complain
- Jack Johnson.