The Effects of Online Bullying

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
That Alien Guy.
About me: Stuck here for another 18.35 rotations.

Re: The Effects of Online Bullying

Post by That Alien Guy. » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
That Alien Guy. wrote: Chimpanzees tend to oust the weak and useless.
Is that why you can't wait to get away?

:biggrin:

Hi Hades! :dance:
NBo I can't wait until this linguistic cold war amongst the lower ends of the simian heirarchy becomes irrelevant when the Alpha males get off their backside drag all the whining brats and uppity armchair activists into trenches and show them what a real fight is.

That might win some awards.

mozg
About me: There's not much to tell.

Re: The Effects of Online Bullying

Post by mozg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 am

PordFrefect wrote:The bullying/threats/vitriol Richard Dawkins receives on a regular basis is well known and yet I don't see the bleeding heart brigade forming ranks behind him. I have to wonder why Jennifer McCreight or Rebecca Watson don't follow the same pattern. They've made themselves into public figures. They may have had traumatic/abusive childhoods, but so did Dawkins. So why the deferential treatment of their apparent inability to handle internet trolls? Is it because they are *gasp* women?
And when they pull stunts like this, making these huge controversial splashes that they know are going to result in a lot of disagreement and vitriol then running away as soon as it gets tough, insisting that they be sheltered from any negative commentary to cater to their sensitive feminine feelings, how the hell does that do anything to advance the notion of women as equal to and as strong as men are?

If anything, they're reinforcing the stereotype that girls are weak with these antics.
'Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you.' - George Carlin