The Atheism Plus "movement" -- good, bad, ugly?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Re: The Atheism Plus "movement" -- good, bad, ugly?

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:54 am

Ayaan wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:Most people find me to be the most normal person they know. :twitch: I try not to be too offended by that. :teef:
But, but, but, you're a ratz. How can you possibly be :shudder: normal?
Shhhh, don't tell anyone! I'll be shunned! :cry:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 am

IT'S A NORM-Y!!!

Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:59 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Ayaan wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:Most people find me to be the most normal person they know. :twitch: I try not to be too offended by that. :teef:
Who would I tell? All my friends are fellow ratz. :hehe:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:25 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Ayaan wrote:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:31 am

:lol: Haven't seen those in ages!
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

A Hermit

Post by A Hermit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:28 pm

colubridae wrote:
A Hermit wrote:
colubridae wrote:
And just to remind you dear Robert, they threatened to release personal information.
You're full of shit. "They" did no such thing.

One person, a name no one recognized, threatened to do that in PZ's comments, everyone jumped on them and the comment was deleted.

It's lies like that one that are perpetuating the problem.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good bout of self righteousness... :smug:
It’s not a lie it was posted there!!! I would be lying if it wasn’t posted on your precious blog.
Well it depends on what you meant by "they" wouldn't it? Are you implying (and it sure looks like you were) that the bloggers at FtB advocated posting people's personal info? That would be a lie. WHen you said "they" did you mean the Skepchicks? That would also be a lie. DId you mean the vast majority of commenters at FtB, the people setting up the A+ forum?...again those would be lies. It was none of those, it was ONE troll.
I don’t care if it was a name no-one recognised. And deleting it is not the right thing to do. It should be left there for all to see.
You seem to be confused...if it's wrong to advocate exposing people's personal info why you anyone leave it up? So you can quotemine it as an example of how "they" (whoever "they" are) are bullying people?

What’s more you are being deliberately selective. The threat was made in A+shit rules as well. I saw it, it may have been deleted it since.
Haven't seem that one, but again the fact that such comments are being immediately remove kind of goes against the idea that this is something "they" (again, whoever "they" are) approve of.
Even to the extent of monitoring other fora to the suggestion of starting a website specifically to make such revelations.
Nonsense; you are completely misrepresenting the situation; there's a whole discussion of that here: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=192

Its about not putting up with trolls and bullies.
What about the “rationalia stinks like the rotting corpse of a dead baby” presumably that was someone no-one else recognised as well.
Double standard: I've seen far worse things posted about FtB and others here...get that stick out of your own eye...

Though I have to ask - exactly what ‘context’ is threatening to reveal personal information (a la a+ rules) appropriate?
Never, unless maybe there is a clear threat of violence (google "David Mabus") But this is a good example of the "quotemining" and taking things out of context, isn't it? You're using one or two isolated troll comments which were immediately denounced and deleted to try to paint a misleading picture of what's going on. Where I come from we call that "telling a lie."

colubridae wrote: Pappa aplogised for his joke. That apology was rejected out of hand. Now you hold up carrier’s ‘apology’ as a thing of beauty to be admired and cherished.
Double standards. Meh. Go look in the mirror.
Actually I posted here and at FtB that I thought Pappa's apology was a good example of how a sincere, heartfelt honest apology should look. So, no; no double standard, at least not on my part...
Can I ask you a personal question. “why are you bothering?” It’s only making you look absurd. Have you been ‘assigned’ the task of propagandising rationalia?
Everyone needs a hobby... :drunk:

I dropped in here first over the rape joke thing and I actually found there was a good conversation about that going on, There are a lot of reasonable people here and I hate to see them being lied to about stuff like A+ (which I support) advovcating releasing people's personal info or being out to bully people and "take over atheism" (as if that was possible.) I also object to people bullying someone who has worked so hard for the causes I support with the kind of vicious, violent, sexual crap that was getting dumped on Jen McCreight. I don't think she deserved to be treated that way and when I saw this thread I thought I'd put in my two cents in support of Jen.

You have a problem with that?

And why are you bothering with the FtB bashing?
Last edited by A Hermit on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Hermit

Post by A Hermit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:35 pm

colubridae wrote:
I'm really keen on AHermit's explanation of this bizarre fucking...stuff. I sense it will be a lulu.
Well it seems pretty simple to me; it's a site dedicated to talking about sexism, racism and harassment; it makes sense, if you are going to ralk about a specific incident d=for example, to let peple know that you're going they so they can avoid it if they wish...

There is a bit too much of the "jargon" thing going on over there, IMHO, and it can be a bit annoying, but I get where it comes from. This is stuff that gets ignored or dismissed too often and people are still fining ways to talk about some of it openly.

You call that "bizarre", I call it "communicating..."

Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope
About me: Crow Philosopher

Post by Red Celt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:39 pm

A Hermit wrote:it's a site dedicated to talking about sexism, racism and harassment;
The word "atheism" wasn't mentioned. Strange, considering it's called Atheism+.

A Hermit

Post by A Hermit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 pm

Red Celt wrote:
A Hermit wrote:it's a site dedicated to talking about sexism, racism and harassment;
Well yeah, it's right there in the name so I think you can assume that's the perspective from which the other issues are being approached...

Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope

Post by Red Celt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 pm

A Hermit wrote:Well yeah, it's right there in the name so I think you can assume that's the perspective from which the other issues are being approached...
So... are you an Atheist+ ?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Red Celt wrote:
A Hermit wrote:Well yeah, it's right there in the name so I think you can assume that's the perspective from which the other issues are being approached...
There's a bit of a 'back story' here to this Red. A long standing member (a founding member as I recall) of this forum left after a big argument, the details of which I won't rake up again. It was very unpleasant especially as many of us know her in person having been to meets etc.

She is I believe one of the founders of the Atheist+ forum. If not a founder she is very active there. The process of her leaving was pretty unpleasant for many here.

Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope

Post by Red Celt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Rum wrote:
Red Celt wrote:
There's a bit of a 'back story' here to this Red. A long standing member (a founding member as I recall) of this forum left after a big argument, the details of which I won't rake up again. It was very unpleasant especially as many of us know her in person having been to meets etc.

She is I believe one of the founders of the Atheist+ forum. If not a founder she is very active there. The process of her leaving was pretty unpleasant for many here.
Ah, OK. Would it be stirring-up too many wounds to ask the person's name?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Red Celt wrote:
Rum wrote:
Red Celt wrote:

Ah, OK. Would it be stirring-up too many wounds to ask the person's name?
PM sent.

A Hermit

Post by A Hermit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Red Celt wrote: So... are you an Atheist+ ?
I usually just call myself a Doubter.

Badger3k
About me: Just talkin' claptrap. Lilith Rules!

The Atheism Plus "movement" -- good, bad, ugly?

Post by Badger3k » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 pm

A Hermit wrote:
Red Celt wrote:
Well yeah, it's right there in the name so I think you can assume that's the perspective from which the other issues are being approached...
What does a lack of belief in gods have to do with anything you mentioned? Absolutely nothing.

It does, however, have to do with American leftish political ideals, especially PC ones (ie, the stereotypical academic version that sometimes doesn't fit reality anymore than the far right does).

Based upon some of the writings, they might have been a bit more accurate if they called it Humanism- (aka Humanism minus old privileged white men).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD