The Atheism Plus "movement" -- good, bad, ugly?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Coito ergo sum

Re: The Atheism Plus "movement" -- good, bad, ugly?

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:Apatheist: Doesn't give flying fuck if there are any gods.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm

I love it when ultra-orthodox religious Atheists argue about church doctrine. Martin Luther is laughing his ass off right now.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Seth wrote:I love it when ultra-orthodox religious Atheists argue about church doctrine. Martin Luther is laughing his ass off right now.
I think this sort of discussion is very healthy. Sadly when Christians used to discuss the ins and outs of what they believed or didn't and started insisting they were right and the other guy wrong they started burning each other.

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Rum wrote:
Seth wrote:I love it when ultra-orthodox religious Atheists argue about church doctrine. Martin Luther is laughing his ass off right now.
I think this sort of discussion is very healthy. Sadly when Christians used to discuss the ins and outs of what they believed or didn't and started insisting they were right and the other guy wrong they started burning each other.
You can get cream for the burning.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Atheist+.jpg

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 pm

:coffeespray:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Post by Gallstones » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Jaygray wrote:‘Atheism Plus’ sounds like an advertisement for new improved washing powder, and I would take any claims to its efficacy with the same truckload of salt I would use for any other piece of demographic marketing. I bet the name will fit on a T shirt wonderfully.

I would look twice at any idea with an FtB badge on it anyway, because as far as I am concerned they are totally discredited. Generalisation? Yep. :smug:

Also, if whoever has come up with this imagines that a doctrinaire approach to Atheism is anything other than abject silliness, then we are not exactly dealing with intellectual heavyweights.

However if they want their own train set to play with they’re welcome; it makes zero difference to me. :coffee:
What bothers me the most is that I have to go back to Seth and admit that he was right. There really is a subset of atheists called "Atheists" (albeit, now, they are dubbing themselves "Atheist Plus").... and they really are as dickish as Seth made them out to be. And, there are enough of them, and they are vocal enough, to embarrass us all.
I figured this out well over two years ago preSkepchick.
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Post by Gallstones » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:36 pm

It is being discussed on facebook if anyone is interested.
http://www.facebook.com/gretachristina/ ... 8689790848
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Gallstones wrote:It is being discussed on facebook if anyone is interested.
http://www.facebook.com/gretachristina/ ... 8689790848
:clap:

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Rum wrote:
and you think FTB's and the Skepchicks wouldn't if they where given such power?
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Post by Twoflower » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:Apatheist: Doesn't give flying fuck if there are any gods.
That's what I have identified as since learning about it a few years ago.
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Rum wrote:
I should really expand on my previous comment. There is no debate here they are right and everyone who disagrees with them are wrong. First they create the 'other' then they demonize the 'other.' When you ban/outlaw dissent it is only a matter of time before the fences of the first of many gulags are built. Never trust anyone who deals in absolutes, I think the theists had a saying for this, how does it go again. 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions.'
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:36 pm

DaveDodo007 wrote:Never trust anyone who deals in absolutes
Absolutely never?

:biggrin:

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 pm

DaveD wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:Never trust anyone who deals in absolutes
Absolutely never?

:biggrin:
Never ever absolutely. :nervous:

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 am

Rum wrote:
Oh, I'm sure you guys will get around to burning someone pretty soon. Perhaps the whole of London, or maybe just the Vatican.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.