So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Re: So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

Post by Kristie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 pm

tattuchu wrote:
Kristie wrote:
tattuchu wrote:
pzmyers wrote:I really, really recommend that you read Audley Strange's comment carefully. My summary was dead on. He literally said that tasteless, offensive jokes that attack a group aren't the problem, but that criticizing the people who say misogynistic jokes is "Bundy level of misogyny".

If you can't see the problem with that, you're more hopeless than I thought.
Hi, PZ. I haven't followed this whole drama, so can't really comment one way or another. It's nice to see you here, though, and I appreciate you giving your two cents in person.
So how's it hanging? Little to the right here, myself.
:funny:
What? :dunno:

:qoti:
:flowers:
We danced.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 pm

PZ, remember those two roaches that have you a ride to the Creation Museum near Springfield last Skepticon?

If you need a ride this year, just wave. We roaches would be happy to assist.

Wumbologist
I want a do-over

Post by Wumbologist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 am

Robert_S wrote:
Talk TO him next time. He might respond.
I won't hold my breath. I haven't seen anything thus far that indicates that he is looking for anything more than opportunities to twist words and misrepresent. He's had plenty of opportunity to engage in a rational discussion.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 am

With all of our usual snark.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 am

Femmandment the 8th:

POISON THAT FUCKING WELL. JUST POISON IT! THINK LATER!
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Thumpalumpacus
About me: Texan by birth, musician by nature, writer by avocation, freethinker by inclination.

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am

It bums me out that I missed a little drama, but while we're here, let me just say that if you're surprised that there was sexism in the 60s,PZ, let me know when you start looking into the racism prevalent in the Antebellum South. I want to see that froth. It should be quite the show.

Also, I'd like to see a link to the rape comment too, so I can judge for myself. Can anyone help a brotha out?
Last edited by Thumpalumpacus on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
these are things we think we know
these are feelings we might even share
these are thoughts we hide from ourselves
these are secrets we cannot lay bare.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am

PZ to TXT for trolling.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 am

Thumpalumpacus wrote:It bums me out that I missed a little drama, but while we're here, let me just say that if you're surprised that there was sexism in the 60s, let me know when you start looking into the racism prevalent in the Antebellum South. I think you've got a little studying to do.

Also, I'd like to see a link to the rape comment too, so I can judge for myself. Can anyone help a brotha out?
http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=38220
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Thumpalumpacus
About me: Texan by birth, musician by nature, writer by avocation, freethinker by inclination.

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks, Rob.

Thumpalumpacus

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 am

I'd tell PZ not to get his panties in a wad, except that I'm sure he'd excoriate me for not being sufficiently sensitive to his taste for cross-dressing.

Thumpalumpacus

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 am

Goddamnit all, now, reading through that thread, I'm really pissed that I missed it.

eta: Reading the responses at PZ's blog is disheartening. When did the mass of "freethinkers" become so regimented in their panegyrics?
Last edited by Thumpalumpacus on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:51 am

pzmyers wrote:I really, really recommend that you read Audley Strange's comment carefully. My summary was dead on. He literally said that tasteless, offensive jokes that attack a group aren't the problem, but that criticizing the people who say misogynistic jokes is "Bundy level of misogyny".

If you can't see the problem with that, you're more hopeless than I thought.
I read it and I can see the problem with it clearly. The problem is with your tactics, and he's right in pointing them out.

I had and still have no problem with Pappa's 'joke'. I find it a highly sarcastic comment on the ridiculously ott negative, fear mongering attitude that most vocal Skepchicks have towards men (which, as Audley Strange pointed out, you are feeding, and feeding from). It has been branded a bad joke, but most seem to have missed the point, and unable to appreciate the sophisticated irony of it.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 am

Edited my post above.
no fences

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 am

Robert_S wrote:
Pappa wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Pappa wrote:
pzmyers wrote:A nest of cockroaches isn't filthy and unhygienic. Turning on the light and exposing a nest of cockroaches...now that's evil and disgusting.

There, see. I said the same thing you did, only with more brevity and panache.
I wish you could see your grandiose self-importance from the outside. Your proclamations are like fatwas and your opinions about the rationalist/atheist community are embarrassing.
Pappa, STFU!

You fucking knew, or should have known better than to make that thread. Even thought the OP came from FTB, it is a thread on our forum calling a person a racist.

You are calling out someone on their tone in a thread calling them a racist!!!

FOR FUCK'S SAKE STOP DIGGING!!!

I don't recall you posting very heavily in CES's threads on the Skepchics. You fucking trolled a group of people and now want to complain about the tone their friends take. You knew damn well that was provocative and would get a reaction.
I'm free to criticise whoever I like if I do it without breaking the rules.
As am I. My request carries no official weight. PZ is also free to say all kinds of things about this forum on his site as long as it doesn't break any laws or the rules of where he posts them. Is that the standard?

That we have the right to do something doesn't make it right to do it!
There is so much I hate, so much that makes me tired to the bone, about this whole situation.

This was not the hill I would have chosen to die on.
Out of the people that ever were, almost all of them are dead.
There are way more dead people, and you're all gonna die
and then you're gonna be dead for way longer than you're alive.
Like that's mostly what you're ever gonna be.
You're just dead people that didn't die yet.
--Louis C.K.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 am

I don't hate anyone.

I'm just very very angry.
-Mr P

Audley Strange