So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Wumbologist
I want a do-over

Re: So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

Post by Wumbologist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Kristie wrote: I'm pretty sure you are twisting words or misunderstanding his post.
Deliberate twisting of what was said seems to be the M.O. at work here. :roll:

Badger3k
About me: Just talkin' claptrap. Lilith Rules!

Post by Badger3k » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 pm

pzmyers wrote:I really, really recommend that you read Audley Strange's comment carefully. My summary was dead on. He literally said that tasteless, offensive jokes that attack a group aren't the problem, but that criticizing the people who say misogynistic jokes is "Bundy level of misogyny".

If you can't see the problem with that, you're more hopeless than I thought.
Why? Explain what the problem is - that's what a discussion is for. It's not to preach at people. Also, how about linking to the comment - I've only been on three threads but have no idea what you refer to. Evidence matters. So, please provide it - it'll be a start.

ETA: found the comment (http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 5#p1226544). It was an analogy to what happened here. It doesn't say "criticizing the people who say misogynistic jokes..." - that's your privilege showing. Try reading it without your presuppositions.
Last edited by Badger3k on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wumbologist
I want a do-over

Post by Wumbologist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Badger3k wrote:
pzmyers wrote:I really, really recommend that you read Audley Strange's comment carefully. My summary was dead on. He literally said that tasteless, offensive jokes that attack a group aren't the problem, but that criticizing the people who say misogynistic jokes is "Bundy level of misogyny".

Why? Explain what the problem is - that's what a discussion is for. It's not to preach at people. Also, how about linking to the comment - I've only been on three threads but have no idea what you refer to. Evidence matters. So, please provide it - it'll be a start.
Seems he's more interested in talking AT us than TO us. Surprise surprise. "Free thought" at its finest. :ani:

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Pappa wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Pappa wrote:
pzmyers wrote:A nest of cockroaches isn't filthy and unhygienic. Turning on the light and exposing a nest of cockroaches...now that's evil and disgusting.

There, see. I said the same thing you did, only with more brevity and panache.
I wish you could see your grandiose self-importance from the outside. Your proclamations are like fatwas and your opinions about the rationalist/atheist community are embarrassing.
Pappa, STFU!

You fucking knew, or should have known better than to make that thread. Even thought the OP came from FTB, it is a thread on our forum calling a person a racist.

You are calling out someone on their tone in a thread calling them a racist!!!

FOR FUCK'S SAKE STOP DIGGING!!!

I don't recall you posting very heavily in CES's threads on the Skepchics. You fucking trolled a group of people and now want to complain about the tone their friends take. You knew damn well that was provocative and would get a reaction.
I'm free to criticise whoever I like if I do it without breaking the rules.
As am I. My request carries no official weight. PZ is also free to say all kinds of things about this forum on his site as long as it doesn't break any laws or the rules of where he posts them. Is that the standard?

That we have the right to do something doesn't make it right to do it!
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Wumbologist wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

Seems he's more interested in talking AT us than TO us. Surprise surprise. "Free thought" at its finest. :ani:

You should have said "Seems you're more interested in talking AT us than TO us."
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Wumbologist
I want a do-over

Post by Wumbologist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Robert_S wrote:

You should have said "Seems you're more interested in talking AT us than TO us."
I don't follow.

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Where's the racist part? Am I just confused?!
Nobody expects me...

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Post by Twoflower » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Drewish wrote:Where's the racist part? Am I just confused?!
No just very very drunk.
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes.
We danced.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Wumbologist wrote:
Robert_S wrote:

I don't follow.
Talk TO him next time. He might respond.
-Mr P

Audley Strange

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Twoflower wrote:
No just very very drunk.
You shut up... you... person!
Nobody expects me...

Kristie
Elastigirl

Post by Kristie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Drewish wrote:
Twoflower wrote:
No just very very drunk.
You shut up... you... person!
:mod: Be nice, Drunken Drew.
We danced.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi, PZ. I haven't followed this whole drama, so can't really comment one way or another. It's nice to see you here, though, and I appreciate you giving your two cents in person.
So how's it hanging? Little to the right here, myself.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Kristie
Elastigirl

Post by Kristie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:56 pm

tattuchu wrote:

Hi, PZ. I haven't followed this whole drama, so can't really comment one way or another. It's nice to see you here, though, and I appreciate you giving your two cents in person.
:funny:
We danced.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Kristie wrote:
tattuchu wrote:

:funny:
What? :dunno:

:qoti:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.