So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
tantamount

So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

Post by tantamount » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 pm

The headline should be: "PZ associates sexism from 50 years go... On Thunderfoot. No, wait Thunderfoot's youtube commenter", but that took too long.

So today's episode of issue-pharyngulation involves American female astronauts, who, due to endemic sexism at NASA became Astronaut-nots. It is obviously a shameful episode of our nation's history and deserves to be made more widely known. Bravo, PZ! Yet how does he end his tract? He finds the need to somehow make this come full circle, to his little FTB war with ejected blogger thunderfoot:
Would you believe I got a comment from a Thunderf00t acolyte on youtube just this morning?
[Monty Python Gumby] FEMINISM IS A NON ISSUE. WOMEN ALREEEEEEEEADY HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS IN THE WEST. NO MORE NEED FOR FEMINISM IN THE WEST.
Nice to know these problems have all gone away already.
So, he's somehow finding a relevance between an event of sexism 50 years ago with Thunderfoot, wait no, not thunderfoot, a random thunderfoot acolyte (wait, so all sexist youtube trolls are now Thunderfoot's minions?) on the Youtube. Yes, PZ, in choosing a random sarcastic ALL-CAPS youtube troll, you have selected a Worthy Opponent.

I'm coming to the opinion that PZ is just a blog-hit whore. The same way HuffPo or Yahoo News put up some intriguing photo with a misleading caption and then you find out what they're reporting is altogether different from the blurb. Only PZ does it with his pet sexism and feminism topics. He's taking genuinely compelling topics, but he somehow feels the need to punch them up to increase the seething froth of his commenters. Or, maybe it's something in the FTB water; PZ was never this ridiculous when he was on ScienceBlogs.

(Oh, and as a postscript, NASA's Mercury 13 program entailed racism, too. NASA wasn't certainly training black or latino or asian female astronauts in 1962-- but you won't hear the lily-white PZ think to mention that because PZ is a stone-cold racist.)
Last edited by tantamount on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wumbologist
I want a do-over

Re: So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

Post by Wumbologist » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:52 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the publicity we got from Pharyngula is a positive thing.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 pm

We do actually have more to offer than PZ-bashing, though...

...I think. :ask:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:We do actually have more to offer than PZ-bashing, though...

Say it ain't so! :o

cogwheel
About me: "Are you the first person ever to post their first ever post directly into NSFW?"

Post by cogwheel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

We have cheese.

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:We do actually have more to offer than PZ-bashing, though...

Not until next week though. :bored:
We danced.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

PZ hates white people.

You heard it here first.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 pm

We're supposed to... ther's the cheese, bacon and wine.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:21 am

I've reported this thread. PZ Myers is a member here and as such should not be personally attacked.

We should feel free to have at what he says and does. You can say his views and actions are racist, but descending to name calling should be off limits.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

tantamount

Post by tantamount » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Robert_S wrote:I've reported this thread. PZ Myers is a member here and as such should not be personally attacked.

We should feel free to have at what he says and does. You can say his views and actions are racist, but descending to name calling should be off limits.
I was calling him "racist" as (an attempt at) parody. That is, he started an interesting article about NASA's female astronaut program in the 1960s which was interesting and informative and the first I'd ever heard of it. Then, in his FTB-mind, he somehow thought it was appropriate to end the article by mentioning an anonymous youtube comment and his favorite whipping boy (good ole Tfoot) and trying to convince us they somehow have any relation to institutional sexism in the 1960s space program. His reference was a complete non sequitur. So, I thought I'd have a try and I threw my own in. I hope that the "racist" appellation was seen as a similar non sequitur.

I don't think what I posted was simply name-calling. I think what I posted referenced what he is saying and doing at his blog, which is make broad, unqualified, and often sloppy, attacks at people, without a shred of nuance. Everyone is either evil or blessed, to him and his Dothraki horde. From the thoughtful person I thought I knew at ScienceBlogs, he's become a ridiculous, shrill and repetitive Savonarola impersonator on freethoughtblogs, now that he's doing his daily drive-by bloggings on feminism and sexism. And I actually agree with 90% of what he says. But when you disagree with him at all, and have the temerity to say so, you are found to be intolerable and maintaining the patriarchy. "You are not of the Body! Lawgivers!"

Does his membership at rationalia, for which he shows contempt, give him a pass? Aren't there some tweaks on the rules if the rationalia member is also a creator of a major, comment-worthy blog? If Rupert Murdoch or Sarah Palin joined, would comments toward their persons and organizations have to be tempered? Would "Pharyngula is a stone-cold kitten murder advocate" be acceptable?

If an admin tells me to stop posting stuff on PZ, I'll back off. It's just a bit amusing that "descending to name calling" is restricted here, and if you go to PZ's blog and look at both his comments and those of his hive-mind, "descending to name calling" is where the commentary starts, and it keeps descending from there.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Yes "Pharyngula" is not a member here. Nor is "Skepchick".

So if Rupert joined I couldn't say "Fuck You Murdoch, I want to fuck you up the arse with a katana on Live T.V. while you are on fire" But I could say "I think News international is a hive of ink black hearted monsters who wank over pictures of dead children for a laugh."
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

fretmeister
About me: Magician, Entertainer, Balloon Modeller, Skeptic, Singer, Bassist, Guitarist, all round audience addict! (I'm also a lawyer but don't tell anyone)

Post by fretmeister » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 pm

I just had bacon and eggs.
MusicRadar is dead. Long Live http://thefretboard.co.uk/

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 pm

tantamount wrote: It's just a bit amusing that "descending to name calling" is restricted here, and if you go to PZ's blog and look at both his comments and those of his hive-mind, "descending to name calling" is where the commentary starts, and it keeps descending from there.
I'd much rather have it that way around!

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:
tantamount wrote: It's just a bit amusing that "descending to name calling" is restricted here, and if you go to PZ's blog and look at both his comments and those of his hive-mind, "descending to name calling" is where the commentary starts, and it keeps descending from there.
I'd much rather have it that way around!
Not to mention that one person ridiculed this site early on for giving people "time outs" rather than immediately banning them outright. And which place is silencing people? :ask:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

pzmyers
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by pzmyers » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Robert_S wrote:I've reported this thread. PZ Myers is a member here and as such should not be personally attacked.
I've got no complaints here. For a forum that regards rape threats as a reasonable way to criticize someone, I'm being treated kindly. Relatively.

It's also just more hypocrisy-wallowing. Do carry on.