Another Skepchick War! Watson v. Grothe

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Coito ergo sum

Re: Another Skepchick War! Watson v. Grothe

Post by Coito ergo sum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Interesting "correction" made by Ashley Miller here --- http://ashleyfmiller.wordpress.com/2012 ... orrection/

For me, part of this issue is that much of the stuff that the "some prominent feminist bloggers" bleat about as horrific and traumatizing conduct, well, in my view just isn't.
I generally don’t take the time to fact correct every random person who misrepresents what I say, because it’s a herculean task, but I’m surprised to find, after all the positive back and forth between us, that DJ went and said this:

All we knew about was that someone was removed from the speaker reception because he wasn’t permitted to be there, and was apparently drunk. In her blog post and in further comments, Ashley says she didn’t feel like the harassment was worth reporting to JREF staff or hotel staff at the time, nor did she nor anyone else mention it in one of the TAM attendee surveys.

No, absolutely not true, and an abhorrent misrepresentation of what happened.

From the man who reported the incident:

…he was rude and talking to several ladies with inappropriate language. I told you [DJ] about him and you took immediate action and talked to the gentleman and you took him from the room.

At that time, DJ only knew what I told him and he acted immediately and did the right thing. There is a chance that DJ does not remember this because he only knew that the guy was rude, drunk and needed to leave. DJ did not stop to think about it – he just took action.

I had been told it was already reported, because it was reported and dealt with by DJ, I didn’t know a second report was necessary.
If this is what was reported to Grothe, and Grothe immediately acted to boot the guy out, then didn't he do plenty to address the situation? And, this is the one specific instance raised. We have lots of generalized allegations, like Watson's allegation that she was repeatedly groped, but since this is the only reported incident, what else is Grothe to think?

And, look at what was actually reported: "he was rude and talking to several ladies with inappropriate language." Well, la-dee-frickin'-da. A guy was rude and used "inappropriate" language. What did he say? Fuck? Shit? Cunt? What? Enough with the general language. Ashley Miller here is outraged by the atrocious misrepresentation here -- that's not all that happened -- she didn't report anything, because she thought some man was taking care of it. But, now she's pissed that DJ Grothe has the temerity to think that what actually was reported to him was what actually is alleged to have happened. And, even now, in the article linked, Ashley Miller does NOT specify what the drunk British guy said.

I hope someone who is involved in this discussion directly will ask her. What the fuck did the British guy say? Did he ask for sexual favors? Was he joking? Was it merely "inappropriate" or was it threatening?

If this event was such a serious issue, Ashley, why did you leave it to others to report it, an event that you claim makes you feel "unsafe?" It's your responsibility, Ashley. Grow up. You left it to some guy to handle the matter for you, and now you're pissed that Grothe received only that one piece of information, which wasn't even a report of "harassment" because all it was was a report of some inappropriate language by a drunk guy.

And, stop it with the outrage on your part about the misrepresentation. You did, clearly, not feel it was important enough for you to report yourself. You sat back, and let someone else do it. You relied on some guy to handle it. Next time, when someone says something you don't like, tell that person directly that you don't like it. If they persist, call the organizer of the event and the proprietor of the facility in which the event is located, and if necessary, the police. Until you're willing to do that, you're not taking the issue seriously enough to expect others to do so for you.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:29 pm

The Skepchicks want men to to "Shut Up And Listen": http://skepchick.org/2012/06/ai-shut-up-and-listen/

Read through the comments there.

That whole discussion is code for: "when we say it, it's not open for discussion," because if you try to challenge any one of their points, you're guilty of creating a "straw man," or derailing or perpetuating a misconception.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 pm

I normally listen, but this has gone beyond bad faith and excessive sense of entitlement. So fuck'em (literally)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:25 pm

A video filmed by RWatson --

Huh...a mostly naked man receiving simulated oral sex from a kneeling female, openly, at a party. No sign of anyone's "personal boundaries" being explored as to whether or not this display of nakedness and/or sexual conduct would be offensive to any of the onlookers.
Last edited by Coito ergo sum on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:The Skepchicks want men to to "Shut Up And Listen": http://skepchick.org/2012/06/ai-shut-up-and-listen/

Read through the comments there.

That whole discussion is code for: "when we say it, it's not open for discussion," because if you try to challenge any one of their points, you're guilty of creating a "straw man," or derailing or perpetuating a misconception.
Don't forget trolling. Not apologising for your maleness and simpering at their feet while they gift you with the fruits of their boundless wisdom them is nasty malicious trolling and can't be permitted.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:A video filmed by RWatson --

Huh...a mostly naked man receiving simulated oral sex from a kneeling female, openly, at a party. No sign of anyone's "personal boundaries" being explored as to whether or not this display of nakedness and/or sexual conduct would be offensive to any of the onlookers.
oops...repost the vid

mozg
About me: There's not much to tell.

Post by mozg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Azathoth wrote:Don't forget trolling. Not apologising for your maleness and simpering at their feet while they gift you with the fruits of their boundless wisdom them is nasty malicious trolling and can't be permitted.
They have plenty of bile for women who don't automatically side with them as well. Every time I have ever disagreed with a feminist about anything I have been attacked for being a 'tool of the patriarchy', a 'self-loathing misogynist', and a 'sexist apologist' who is afraid of men and kowtows to their desires out of fear of not being accepted.

They absolutely cannot accept that my not being offended by and fearful of the same things that they are is simply because I am not offended and afraid; they insist I am just pretending so the boys will let me be 'like one of them' and that I have sold out.

The reality of it is that it's feminists like the skepchicks that drive me away and discourage me from participating in things where my gender is obvious. Because when I do turn up in person and people see that I am obviously a female, the discussion of the topic stops and the whole thing becomes about being a 'female __________'. That's not why I go to events with other atheists and skeptics. I go so I can meet people, have some drinks, have some laughs, talk a little science and maybe get laid.
'Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you.' - George Carlin

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm

mozg wrote:They absolutely cannot accept that my not being offended by and fearful of the same things that they are is simply because I am not offended and afraid; they insist I am just pretending so the boys will let me be 'like one of them' and that I have sold out.
That sounds awfully religious in its reasoning, doesn't it?

mozg
About me: There's not much to tell.

Post by mozg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:
mozg wrote:They absolutely cannot accept that my not being offended by and fearful of the same things that they are is simply because I am not offended and afraid; they insist I am just pretending so the boys will let me be 'like one of them' and that I have sold out.
That sounds awfully religious in its reasoning, doesn't it?
Feminism absolutely has become a religion. The leadership and their tenets are not to be questioned or disagreed with in any way, ever, by anyone and those who do not live their lives according to the doctrines of feminism are excoriated, especially if they are female.

Women like me are nothing short of heretics to feminists.
'Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you.' - George Carlin

Wumbologist
I want a do-over

Post by Wumbologist » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Shades of Dworkin in the Skepchick logic. Though they'd probably see that as the highest of praise.