RD.net to be re-revamped!

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Re: RD.net to be re-revamped!

Post by lordpasternack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Svartalf wrote:Because RDF & whatnot are not published in Urdu?
Yeah - but if one is of an insular, despotic, theocratic mindset - one does not normally indulge the more enlightened of one's populace by publishing one's censorship notices clearly in English - especially given that this would facilitate communication of said censorship to the English-speaking world.

If I were a Pakistani theocrat blocking RD.net with a view to stifling secularism, I wouldn't even state that the site were censored, nor that it were nationwide. I'd just cause the URL to keep returning "404 unavailable" and other generic errors. Saying "this is censored in your country", in clear English, is just not something that despots do.

Also note that the RDF fundraiser doesn't cite a single organisation, nor urge us to seek out Pakistani secular organisations to enquire about their situation or express our solidarity. (And of course, when I personally did so - I discovered that the site wasn't banned in Pakistan… )

Those were just a couple of irregularities which raised an eyebrow on my part.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:49 pm

There might also be the fact that, like in India, English is the most widely practiced official language of Pakistan...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Svartalf wrote:There might also be the fact that, like in India, English is the most widely practiced official language of Pakistan...
Not in my experience of ex-pat Pakistanis. It also doesn't negate my point about despots not telling people "yo, this is censored" in plain English.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Maybe LP used her vast political influence to get RDF banned and then suddenly unbanned in Pakistan just to make them look bad. :thinks:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:24 pm

lordpasternack wrote:
Svartalf wrote:There might also be the fact that, like in India, English is the most widely practiced official language of Pakistan...
Not in my experience of ex-pat Pakistanis. It also doesn't negate my point about despots not telling people "yo, this is censored" in plain English.
Out of those expats, how many of those who did not have Urdu as a native language practiced it fluently?

Remember that those balkanized countries still are a long way from establishing the 'official' languages as a second language everybody will be fluent in... especially in islamic republics where Arabic and possibly Farsi will be the non local languages of choice in the Quranic schools...

Also, internet users belong to the moneyed and cultured classes, which may not be the case of the people you had experience with.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Is this place banned in Pakistan?
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:48 pm

I don't think so.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:27 pm

For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:05 am

I'll just leave this here:

And I for sorrow sung,
And go the fools among.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster

Post by Robert_S » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Ask them how did it come to pass that they once were censored and no longer are now? What role did the latest round of fund raising play?
-Mr P

Audley Strange

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Well, duh, Robert… Duh…

Greta Christina wrote a decent article about Edwina Rogers which rings ever-true:
There are two problems here. There’s the fact that Edwina Rogers is a long-time operative in the Republican party. And there’s the fact that she responded to questions about this history with evasion, spin, and outright falsehoods about obvious, easily-checked facts.

The fact that Edwina Rogers responded to questions about this history with evasion, spin, and outright falsehoods? That is much more than a big problem. That is unacceptable.

She was talking to her own community here. She was talking to the people she was hired to represent. And she treated us with contempt. She treated us like children, or fools. She treated us like gullible, easily manipulated sheep, who would swallow whatever she told us without question. She treated us, not like members of a community who she was hired to represent, but like targets of a PR campaign who she was hired to dupe.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... na-rogers/
And I for sorrow sung,
And go the fools among.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Well, are Greta and her crowd flouncing off, or are they actively and effectively working to get Ms Rogers out of that job?

Given the similitudes in character between the execs, was it random chance that the RDFRS came to join forces with the SCA?
Birds of a feather... seems to be an applicable saying there.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:40 pm

If Greta said it was raining I would call the dog in to see if it was wet.

The friendly atheist does have a post up on the SCA and Rogers though:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ingtonian/
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm

In case anyone was in any doubt - I was castigating Edwina Rogers above for evading giving evidence for the actual issue at hand, and trying to turn the burden of proof onto me, when it lies firmly with her and RDFRS.

One does not have to be a "Pakistan expert" to smell bullshit in this case - and in any case, she has plenty of native Pakistani atheists ready, willing and able to tell her she's full of shite. Why doesn't she take the above verbiage to them, and see what she gets? Well, she won't - because her comments were never about expertise on Pakistan, and everything about trying to manipulate me.

This issue has nothing to do with expertise on the subject of Pakistan, and she fucking knows it. This has nothing to do with her doubting my substantiveness - and everything to do with her trying to evade the issue, pick some psychological weak spot she thinks I have, and turn the issue into me trying to justify myself.

I am the one who has actually sought out and provided publicly verifiable evidence in this case. Mrs Credentials has so far said NOTHING relevant and substantive.
And I for sorrow sung,
And go the fools among.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 pm

And I for sorrow sung,
And go the fools among.