Dawkins sues Josh Timonen 2

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen 2

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:42 am

Now THAT's what I'm Dawkins about.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Josh Timonen
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Post by Josh Timonen » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:46 am

It's a Dicky situation.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:56 am

Just don't Harris me; you're not the Sam as pawiz.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 am

I'm not lowering myself into the muck and the Myers here. It's too easy PZ.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 am

Goddennett! :lay:

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:13 am

I think this sockpuppet is just Hitchens a ride on Josh's coat-tails. :tea:
And I for sorrow sung,
And go the fools among.

borealis
Diggiloo Diggiley
About me: Oozy rat in a sanitary zoO.

Post by borealis » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Watson what you're saying.
Azathoth wrote:
Bullshit is bullshit whatever you call it. It doesnt matter if it was an ancient nutter's fantasy or a more recent nutter's.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Elementary, my dear… But you just elevated this to a whole new level. An unexplored lattetude. And no I don't want cream with that. You're not punny.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler

Post by lordpasternack » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 pm

http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 21#p923721
Brian Peacock wrote:The case is dropped. Now back to camel toes and celery....
Not so fast. I want to see what happens after this. I obviously don't know the legal ins and outs here - but Richard/RDFRS may be compelled to award some further kind of compensation to Josh and Maureen in light of not establishing their guilt. A little insult to injury, maybe. In which case I will have to take the piss a little more and remark "well played", to Richard/RDFRS...

And that article's pretty cack, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt (since when was Richard a philosopher?) - but Richard/RDFRS could have bailed out based on both a lack of substantive evidence, and a straightforward cost-benefit analysis of the cost of taking the case to a verdict. If Greenberg were confident in getting the kinds of damages they were originally suing for - I don't think they would have cried over the further $100K or so required to pursue the case to completion.

None of this means that Josh didn't wilfully abuse Richard's trust and knowingly take more money than was in whatever way agreed. It just means things were so shoddy (verbal agreement, for fuck's sake... :roll: ) that they have nothing substantive enough to show for it.
And I for sorrow sung,
And go the fools among.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 am

lordpasternack wrote:http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 21#p923721
Not so fast. I want to see what happens after this. I obviously don't know the legal ins and outs here - but Richard/RDFRS may be compelled to award some further kind of compensation to Josh and Maureen in light of not establishing their guilt. A little insult to injury, maybe. In which case I will have to take the piss a little more and remark "well played", to Richard/RDFRS...

And that article's pretty cack, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt (since when was Richard a philosopher?) - but Richard/RDFRS could have bailed out based on both a lack of substantive evidence, and a straightforward cost-benefit analysis of the cost of taking the case to a verdict. If Greenberg were confident in getting the kinds of damages they were originally suing for - I don't think they would have cried over the further $100K or so required to pursue the case to completion.

None of this means that Josh didn't wilfully abuse Richard's trust and knowingly take more money than was in whatever way agreed. It just means things were so shoddy (verbal agreement, for fuck's sake... :roll: ) that they have nothing substantive enough to show for it.

Call me cynical but since when has the success or otherwise of a court case of this kind ever established the actual 'truth'. The game plays itself through by its own rules.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 am

lordpasternack wrote:None of this means that Josh didn't wilfully abuse Richard's trust and knowingly take more money than was in whatever way agreed. It just means things were so shoddy (verbal agreement, for fuck's sake... :roll: ) that they have nothing substantive enough to show for it.
If I were being sued or had just had a lawsuit like that against me dropped, I would think it would be good PR to address that issue as well as I could to the press and different fora. For all I know, the verbal agreement itself could have been shoddily worded with both Josh and Richard coming away with different ideas about what they "agreed" upon. I'd also try to show the compensation to work ratio could be seen as fair to an informed, reasonable and disinterested person.

The old story with the king agreeing to give the sum of doubling amounts of rice piled onto each square on a chessboard comes to mind.

And how much would it have cost to have an accountant and/or a lawyer take an hour or two to have a look at and/or listen to the "agreements" and point out any ambiguities or common mistakes that could lead to problems down the road?
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 am

The shop was clearly just run for the benefit of Josh and friends . I find it unlikely that Richard knew and was happy for this to be the case esp after paying Josh generously for other services (like picking a font and choosing it in red ) . The people buying stuff from the shop were certainly not aware that is where their money went or they wouldn't have spent their cash .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:44 am

Rum wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 21#p923721

Call me cynical but since when has the success or otherwise of a court case of this kind ever established the actual 'truth'. The game plays itself through by its own rules.
And it's a good bet that dropping the case came with strings attached in terms of no further disputes or litigation about costs.
Feck wrote:The shop was clearly just run for the benefit of Josh and friends . I find it unlikely that Richard knew and was happy for this to be the case esp after paying Josh generously for other services (like picking a font and choosing it in red ) . The people buying stuff from the shop were certainly not aware that is where their money went or they wouldn't have spent their cash .
Damn straight. :ddpan:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 am

Feck wrote:The shop was clearly just run for the benefit of Josh and friends . I find it unlikely that Richard knew and was happy for this to be the case esp after paying Josh generously for other services (like picking a font and choosing it in red ) . The people buying stuff from the shop were certainly not aware that is where their money went or they wouldn't have spent their cash .
He should maybe make the case that from the point of view of the purchaser, the money fairly compensated him in terms of how much his efforts paid off for the stated mission:
http://richarddawkinsfoundation.org/mission wrote:Mission Statement for Both Charities

The mission of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science is to support scientific education, critical thinking and evidence-based understanding of the natural world in the quest to overcome religious fundamentalism, superstition, intolerance and human suffering.
As far as I'm concerned, that would be the deciding moral factor.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

There are many reasons one might initiate a case that one might know one probably won't be able to win. For example, from the point of view of governance of the Foundation, it might be that there was a need to demonstrate that the rights of the Foundation were pursued up to the point where it became apparent that the case should be dropped.

The rationale for pursuing it would be a bare cost-benefit analysis.

But for me, I wouldn't initiate the case unless I had first reviewed all the evidence I had, and could conclude a reasonable chance of success existed. Then, I'd want to discover all relevant documents held by the other side, at which point, I'd do another review to see whether or not the chance of success had improved or disimproved.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!