First reaction by Richard Dawkins.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Re: First reaction by Richard Dawkins.

Post by Robert_S » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:32 am

pzmyers wrote:People seem to be operating under a weird misapprehension that Richard Dawkins is an absentee landlord who only hears about what is going on in the forums when he gets reports from his brutal overseer, Black Josh. It's not true -- he is pretty savvy about this internet stuff, and can actually follow what you wild and crazy forum denizens say. And what he has been seeing is not pretty. Just look at this thread and the kinds of abuse people are heaping on Josh Timonen! I guarantee you that he is not browsing the forum here, or was browsing the RDF forums, and thinking, "Gee, these are exactly the kinds of people and comments I aim to encourage". I'd guess he's feeling glad to be rid of some of the riff-raff.

And at the same time, the RDF has lost some good people whose input has been and would be valuable. If those people weren't all baying at Josh in the current witchhunt, that is.

I speak from past experience with forum drama. Take some time and cool off. It's not that important. The people you're blaming really aren't out to hurt you (honestly, Josh is a good guy, his job is simply much larger than shepherding a forum, and those who hate him have really lost perspective), and if you show a little patience and tolerance, you might even be able to get them to help you out with some of your reasonable requests. I'm sure they actually like and respect many of the contributors and the general importance of the social aspect of the forums, but are reasonably concerned about the rather more vicious minority. What I see here doesn't help. There are some people here they would rather not see coming back to the RD forums. Can you guess why?

It's not because they're nasty vengeful control freaks, either. It might have more to do with the fact that they're human beings.
Last edited by Robert_S on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I changed the font for emphasis
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 am

He seems to have revised his thinking in recent years.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 am

Yes, you should post it in the other thread for the benefit of PZ's buddy, Hermit, who's so self absorbed he wouldn't bother to notice it here. :ddpan:
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:02 am

maiforpeace wrote:Yes, you should post it in the other thread for the benefit of PZ's buddy, Hermit, who's so self absorbed he wouldn't bother to notice it here. :ddpan:
Excuse me! :irate:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 am

Hermit wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:Yes, you should post it in the other thread for the benefit of PZ's buddy, Hermit, who's so self absorbed he wouldn't bother to notice it here. :ddpan:
You are henceforth THE True and Original Hermit (TM). Accept no substitutions! :mod:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 am

Hermit wrote:
My profuse apologies.
Hermit wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:Yes, you should post it in the other thread for the benefit of PZ's buddy, THE Hermit, who's so self absorbed he wouldn't bother to notice it here. :ddpan:
:fix:
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 am

The thing is, Robert, that while Pappa wasn't out to hurt anyone these people are.