Did cooking make us human?

Deep Sea Isopod
Bathynomus giganteus

Did cooking make us human?

Post by Deep Sea Isopod » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

(Unfortunately this prog is available in the UK only)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Us_Human/

We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative because our ancestors discovered cooking?

Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk#synopsis < More info about this prog.

This was really interesting. Made me hungry though.
Homo erectus may have been cooking meat 1million years ago, releasing more energy into our bodies, so our stomachs got smaller and our brains were able to get bigger.

Pretty cool, uh? 8-)
I run with scissors. It makes me feel dangerous Image

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Did cooking make us human?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm

You can't argue with the Book.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I probably can't comment properly since I didn't see the program, but I have read a few books that touched on the subject.
We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative because our ancestors discovered cooking?
Most culinary discoveries were made entirely by mistake. I suspect meat fell into the fire and that's how we started cooking, because it just tasted better.

Cheese? Someone stored milk in a stomach and it curded. Beer? Someone soaked grain in water and forgot about it and it fermented...

I would suggest the latter reasoning of "are we clever and imaginative because our ancestors discovered cooking" to the question posed, only because it follows a more evolutionary path.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Deep Sea Isopod
Bathynomus giganteus

Post by Deep Sea Isopod » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:20 pm

maiforpeace wrote:I probably can't comment properly since I didn't see the program, but I have read a few books that touched on the subject.
Most culinary discoveries were made entirely by mistake. I suspect meat fell into the fire and that's how we started cooking, because it just tasted better.
Yes, they said that in the prog. I did wonder if maybe after a few forest fires they went around scavenging the burnt animal remains (as the fruit would've been destroyed.)
I run with scissors. It makes me feel dangerous Image