Leave those kids alone: 'helicopter parenting' linked to behavioural problems

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am

The Yummy Mummy brigade just don't get it. Kids have to grow up naturally not forced.

Children with over-controlling parents aged two struggled to manage their emotions later in life, study finds

Children whose parents are over-controlling “helicopter parents” when they are toddlers, are less able to control their emotions and impulses as they get older apparently leading to more problems with school, new research suggests.

The study looked at to what degree mothers of toddlers dominated playtime and showed their child what to do, and then studied how their children behaved over the following eight years, revealing that controlling parenting is linked to a number of problems as a child grows up.

“Parents who are over-controlling are most often very well-intentioned and are trying to support and be there for their children,” said Dr Nicole Perry of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, who co-authored the research.

“However, to foster emotional and behavioural skills parents should allow children to experience a range of emotions and give them space to practice and try managing these emotions independently and then guide and assist children when [or] if the task becomes too great.”
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Leave those kids alone: 'helicopter parenting' linked to behavioural problems

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm

I have often thought this. I have a degree of despair for the kids these days. Before I retired I regularly visited schools as part of my job - often a couple a week - and I noticed over the years that there was less and less running around in playtimes and much more standing around talking - often on their phones (mostly banned in school time these days). Added to the paranoia of parents worrying unrealistically about how safe it is to let them out on the streets to play (it is probably safer now than it has ever been), the incubator like cleanliness they are required to have - and we run the risk of raising a generation or two of hothouse flowers.

I do think kids are cleverer than ever though - I'll grant them that!

Scot Dutchy

Re: Leave those kids alone: 'helicopter parenting' linked to behavioural problems

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 pm

The saving grace here for many kids is the bicycle. Its independence is something that is very sought after by young kids. Even though the use of cargo bikes to transport the magic moments has increased there is (luckily) a strong demand to acquire a bike. Being picked by parents after school is a major embarrassment.
I often wonder if the parents realise how many risks they took when they were young?

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Neurotic personality and its associated anxiety is genetic. There's a biological reason for behaviour. Social conditions can go in the bin along with new age thinking. Push the social circumstances in the bin. Mumbo jumbo narratives.

https://neurosciencenews.com/neuroticis ... logy-4028/
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 pm

WTF are you fucking on about? Fucking load of the usual bollocks.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 pm
I'm saying the behavioural issues are genetic and inherited, not caused by helicoptering. ;)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 pm

cronus wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 pm
I'm saying the behavioural issues are genetic and inherited, not caused by helicoptering. ;)
You might be saying it but you are wrong in this context. Social conditions appear to be deciding factor as far as this particular issue is concerned.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Precious little unique snowflakes. More like mewling, puking cabbages if you ask me.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm with cronus, and it's bleeding obvious to me. :biggrin:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

You would be. :fp:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:02 pm
I'm with cronus, and it's bleeding obvious to me. :biggrin:
You are usually pretty rational too. :ddpan:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:10 pm

No I'm not, and stop that shit. I disagree with you, big deal.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:10 pm
No I'm not, and stop that shit. I disagree with you, big deal.
Seriously - the issue is mollycoddling kids. It is a genetic trait to protect kids - sure, but the point of the OP was the over-protective level it has developed into.

I hope you and Crumple are happy together. :dance:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:34 pm

You hope cronus and I are happy together?

--weirdo

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:44 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar