I'm not racist, but...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

I'm not racist, but...

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 am

What the fuck is going on with some Asian cultures?

China's 'left behind children'. :(
The case has shone light on the plight of China's estimated 61 million "left-behind" children -- one in five nationally -- that grow up without one or both of their parents, according to statistics from the All China Women's Foundation.
Around 30 million children under 18 have no parent at home and two million fend for themselves with no adult guardian, the figures show.
It's a heart-wrenching consequence of what has been described as the greatest human migration of all time -- some 250 million have left China's poorer inland provinces to forge a living in coastal factory towns and cities.
These families only reunite a few days each year—for the most part during Spring Festival or Lunar New Year, which began on January 31 this year.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/world ... index.html

China's 'leftover women':
The sad, strange phenomenon of China’s so-called “leftover women” — women criticised for being unmarried over the age of 27 — has left many around the world scratching their heads.Perhaps the saddest thing is that, the Chinese government and other establishments seem to encourage the concept. For example, China’s All-China Women’s Federation, a group founded in 1949 by the Communist Party to protect women’s rights, has this great advice on its website:

Pretty girls don’t need a lot of education to marry into a rich and powerful family, but girls with an average or ugly appearance will find it difficult. These kinds of girls hope to further their education in order to increase their competitiveness. The tragedy is, they don’t realise that as women age, they are worth less and less, so by the time they get their M.A. or Ph.D., they are already old, like yellowed pearls.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/china ... ?r=US&IR=T

Yulin annual dog meat festival:
yulin-dog-meat-festival.jpg
Where animal cruelty is rife

Japan's annual dolphin slaughter:

Not to mention their "scientific whaling".

Chinese and others driving rare animals to extinction just so they can grind up their body parts for their stupid voodoo medicine.

Indonesians not giving a fuck about the slaughter of Orang-utans for palm oil plantations (driven by the insatiable need for the stuff from us in the west).

Other cultures do stupid things, like the Canadians clubbing baby seals and the Faroe Islanders and others slaughtering whales and dolphins in a similar fashion to the Japanese. But it seems to me there is a morality or at least some level of empathy missing in some of the Asian peoples across a broad range of species and incidents. The toddler being run over and ignored in China a few years ago was the most shocking example of this:
Gruesome footage of a toddler falling victim to two successive hit-and-run accidents and then being ignored by many passers-by at the scene last week in southern China continued to galvanize the nation Monday, prompting a fierce debate on the state of morality in Chinese society.
A security camera captured the horrific incident last Thursday outside a hardware market in Foshan, Guangdong Province. Two-year-old Wang Yue was seen toddling in the middle of a narrow street and looking around, oblivious to a fast-approaching white van.
The disturbing video shows the van knocking the girl over. The driver briefly stops with the girl underneath the van, before continuing on, its rear tires slowly rolling over her small body. The girl is left barely moving in her own blood as several pedestrians and cyclists pass by.
Minutes later, another small truck drives over Wang without slowing down, the video shows. More passers-by walked, cycled or drove around her motionless body without stopping -- until a woman carrying a sack appeared 10 minutes after the initial collision. Dropping her sack, she quickly moved the girl to safety and went to look for help.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/17/world ... index.html

I'm not racist, but what the living fuck is going on over there?!?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Re: I'm not racist, but...

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:38 am

I'm not racist but.....
Oh, wait I am lol
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:55 am

Nothing wrong with the Chinese people. It's the monsters who lead them. And those nations willing to do deals with such monsters for a cheap fridge, computer, watch, smartphone etc. Not so long ago the West was highly sexist and still is in some quarters....and people who care about dogs over there should also care about where the bacon comes from over here? People are the same everywhere and all it takes is bad leadership for bad cultural memes to spread amongst the sheeple down below. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:17 am

Another insightful contribution, as always, Scump.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 am

Crumple wrote:... people who care about dogs over there should also care about where the bacon comes from over here...
:tup:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:48 am

pErvin wrote:Another insightful contribution, as always, Scump.
maybe not "as always", but yes, that post is an insightful contribution.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:07 am

I guess it could be, but I doubt that the Communist party in China is responsible for all the dodgy shit that regular people engage in there.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 am

Chinese culture is nearly as effed up as Japanese, not surprising given how much they influenced the latter.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:51 am

...Arthur Caldwell has always been a God to me... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 am

What about our first ever Prime Minister, Edmund Barton?
The doctrine of the equality of man was never intended to apply to the equality of the Englishman and the Chinaman. There is deep-set difference, and we see no prospect and no promise of its ever being effaced. Nothing in this world can put these two races upon an equality. Nothing we can do by cultivation, by refinement, or by anything else will make some races equal to others.
Part of his speech in favour of the Immigration Restriction Bill, when Australia as a nation was not quite nine months old. All political parties hung on to the "White Australia" doctrine until 1972, and looking at the treatment asylum seekers have been getting, all but the Greens are slowly but steadily adopting it again since well before 2000. In terms of acts of commission and omission the Labor party is not lagging in this regard at all.

The three most recent Labor Prime Ministers and the current Labor leader of the loyal opposition:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:11 am

JimC wrote:...Arthur Caldwell has always been a God to me... :tea:
Yeah, but you do have low standards though. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:40 am

Hermit wrote:What about our first ever Prime Minister, Edmund Barton?
The doctrine of the equality of man was never intended to apply to the equality of the Englishman and the Chinaman. There is deep-set difference, and we see no prospect and no promise of its ever being effaced. Nothing in this world can put these two races upon an equality. Nothing we can do by cultivation, by refinement, or by anything else will make some races equal to others.
Part of his speech in favour of the Immigration Restriction Bill, when Australia as a nation was not quite nine months old. All political parties hung on to the "White Australia" doctrine until 1972, and looking at the treatment asylum seekers have been getting, all but the Greens are slowly but steadily adopting it again since well before 2000. In terms of acts of commission and omission the Labor party is not lagging in this regard at all.

The three most recent Labor Prime Ministers and the current Labor leader of the loyal opposition:

I rather think that recent labour leaders have decided that too many of their fellow Australians are all for "border protection", to whatever degree, and that a principled stand against the detention centres would make them unelectable...
Brian Peacock wrote:
JimC wrote:...Arthur Caldwell has always been a God to me... :tea:
Yeah, but you do have low standards though. :tea:
You do know that I was teasing rEv, implying that he was a devotee of the late Caldwell, a labour leader of the past implacably opposed to asian immigration, who coined the immortal phrase in Parliament "Two Wongs don't make a White"...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:33 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:What about our first ever Prime Minister, Edmund Barton?

I rather think that recent labour leaders have decided that too many of their fellow Australians are all for "border protection", to whatever degree, and that a principled stand against the detention centres would make them unelectable...
Historically speaking, the Labor party was more enthusiastic and more stringent than the conservatives in their racism since its foundation, so I don't think there's all that much arm twisting happening.

Statistics are difficult to find, mainly because it's such a complicated issue, what with the many peaks of migrations of very varied cultures, but here is an interesting set from an anti-racist site, which in turn sourced its information from other organisations with an anti-racist bias. If, and by how much that affects the figures is, I suppose, anybody's guess.
While five in ten of us are positive about cultural diversity,
four in ten are ambivalent about cultural diversity.
One in ten have racist attitudes (Source).

One in seven people living in Australia are against the concept of multiculturalism (Source).

Three in ten people do not believe that immigrants make Australia stronger (Source Dead link to somewhere in Monash University), and
one in three believe there are some cultural groups that do not belong in Australia (Source: VicHealth 2007).
On the face of it we are not quite as racist as I imagined. Times do change (Thanks, Gough. ;)). I think the Labor party is dragging its heels a bit.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:35 am

JimC wrote:"Two Wongs don't make a White"...
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 am

. Image