Melanesians may carry DNA from unknown hominid

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Melanesians may carry DNA from unknown hominid

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:30 am

People from Papua New Guinea and north-east Australia carry small amounts of DNA of an unidentified, extinct human species, a new research analysis has suggested.
Key points:

Statistical geneticist carried out research analysis on percentages of extinct hominid DNA in modern humans
"Discrepancies" in previous analyses show interbreeding between Neanderthals and Denisovans "is not the whole story"
Researchers believe a third group, separate to Neanderthals and Denisovans, contributes to Pacific Islanders' DNA

The analysis suggests the DNA is unlikely to come from Neanderthals or Denisovans, but from a third extinct hominid, previously unknown to archaeologists.

Statistical geneticist Ryan Bohlender and his team investigated the percentages of extinct hominid DNA in modern humans.

They found discrepancies in previous analyses and found that interbreeding between Neanderthals and Denisovans was not the whole story to our ancestors' genetic makeup.

Mr Bohlender presented his analysis to the American Society of Human Genetics in Canada, saying that scientists were either "missing a population" or "misunderstanding something about the relationships".
What does the discovery mean?

Mr Bohlender and his colleague used a computer model to figure out the amount of Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA carried by modern humans.

They found Europeans and Chinese people carry about 2.8 per cent of Neanderthal DNA.

But Europeans have no Denisovan ancestry, and Chinese people only have 0.1 per cent.

Modern populations from South Pacific regions including Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, West Papua, and the Maluku Islands have 2.74 per cent of their DNA as coming from Neanderthals.

Mr Bohlender estimates the amount of Denisovan DNA in these people is as low as about 1.11 per cent, not the 3 to 6 per cent estimated by other researchers.

Therefore, Mr Bohlender and his colleagues came to the conclusion that a third group of hominids may have bred with the ancestors of Melanesians.

"The sequencing of complete Neanderthal and Denisovan genomes has provided several insights into human history," Mr Bohlender said.

"One important insight stems from the observation that modern non-Africans and archaic populations share more derived alleles than they should if there was no admixture between them.

"We now know that the ancestors of modern non-Africans met, and introgressed with, Neanderthals and Denisovans."
Neanderthal, Denisovan — what's the difference?

Neanderthals and Denisovans are two hominid species that migrated out of Africa.

According to theory, Neanderthals left Africa about 300,000 years ago, settling in Europe and parts of western Asia.
The rich history of Aboriginal Australians

The most comprehensive genomic study of Indigenous Australians confirms they are the descendants of the first people to inhabit Australia.

The Denisovan species was only discovered in 2008 when paleoanthropologists discovered a 40,0000-year-old tooth and pinkie bone from a young girl in a Siberian cave.

Scientists examined the DNA from the bone and found that, although the girl was closely related to Neanderthals, it was distinct enough to merit classification as a new species.

There was a genetic overlap between the Denisovan genome and that of some present-day east Asians, and a group of Pacific Islanders living in Papua New Guinea.

This is why the discovery of a possible third hominid species is a remarkable discovery, especially considering the discovery was made from DNA of modern people.
Unidentified species flagged in Aboriginal Australian DNA

Mr Bohlender's findings are supported by an earlier study from the University of Cambridge which sequenced the genome of 83 Aboriginal Australians from the Pama-Nyungan-speaking language group, which covers 90 per cent of the continent, and 25 Highland Papuans.

It revealed Papuan and Aboriginal ancestors left Africa around 72,000 years ago and then split from the main group around 58,000 years ago.

They reached the supercontinent of 'Sahul' that originally united Tasmania, mainland Australia and New Guinea around 50,000 years ago, picking up the DNA of Neanderthals, Denisovans and another extinct hominin along the way.
Posted Wed Oct 26 23:42:17 EST 2016
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-2 ... fmredir=sm
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Melanesians may carry DNA from unknown hominid

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am

nice.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I asked a mate of mine who an evolutionary geneticist and he reckons the third dna is probably H.floresiensis. (the hobbit hominin)
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Doubt so... Bilbo was dwarfish due to being isolated on an island. If he was isolated, it's not likely he has descendants on other, larger islands.
maybe a common ancestor, but not H Floresiensis per se.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:39 pm

The (genetic) borderlines are always fuzzy. Some consider Denisovans the same as Neanderthals.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:55 pm

Svartalf wrote:Doubt so... Bilbo was dwarfish due to being isolated on an island. If he was isolated, it's not likely he has descendants on other, larger islands.
maybe a common ancestor, but not H Floresiensis per se.
I agree.

Moar fossils, please, Mr Palaeontologist!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!