Conservatives: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Data!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Conservatives: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Data!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 am

Just not that interested. All that "science" stuff isn't very trustworthy anyway.

"UA Study Shows Stark Differences in How Conservatives, Liberals See Data"
Conservatives are less interested than liberals in viewing novel scientific data, according to a psychology researcher at The University of Alabama.

Dr. Alexa Tullett, assistant professor of psychology at UA, recently conducted the project, titled “Is ideology the enemy of inquiry? Examining the link between political orientation and lack of interest in novel data.” The article will be published in the Journal of Research and Personality in August.

In three separate studies, Tullett and colleagues offered participants in both the Deep South and West Coast a chance to view data on three topics: the justness of the world, the efficacy of social safety nets and the benefits of social media. Participants were given no advanced knowledge of what the data would tell them. Tullett found that conservatives were less interested in viewing empirical data than liberals in all three studies. Moreover, conservatives were more skeptical about the value of science compared with liberals. These differences suggest that conservatives and liberals may differ with respect to the kinds of information they find persuasive in the context of political debate, Tullett said.

“One reason for increases in political polarization may be that people aren’t always speaking the same language,” Tullett said. “There seem to be epistemological differences between liberals and conservatives. They disagree about the value of scientific evidence, and if you’re relying on different types of evidence, you’re less likely to come to an agreement."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Conservatives: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Data!

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:41 am

Yep. Conservatives are obsessed with out of date morals. Liberals/progressives care more about rational outcomes.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:11 am

Biased by the leftist questions.....
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:13 am

Darn those lefty questions : :lay:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Ideological conservatives are definitely anti-science in many respects. The initial doubt I have with the studies, however, is that it appears that ideological lefties are also anti-science in many respects. It generally depends on the issue.

From the article, the "data" presented to the participants was -- "data on three topics: the justness of the world, the efficacy of social safety nets and the benefits of social media." These are social science issues, not hard science. So, that's one issue to be mindful of here. Data on "the justness of the world?" That data is all over the map, and depends on what one's view of "justice" is.

"Tullett found that conservatives were less interested in viewing empirical data than liberals in all three studies." Really? What a shocker. And, what if one of the issues was "data regarding genetic differences between races on IQ tests?" Or, the efficacy of vaccines or whether they cause autism?

And, the article states - "Moreover, conservatives were more skeptical about the value of science compared with liberals." The value of "science" or the value of "social science?"

"Take an issue like gun control: If you were to present people with the issue of gun control, and have anecdotal accounts, expert opinion and scientific studies, our data suggest that liberals would be more likely to care about the scientific study than conservatives. -- wouldn't that depend on how the data came down? Liberals are generally all over science which backs up their ideology, and conservatives are all over science that backs up their ideology. Conservatives tend to hand-wave gun control "science" away because (a) it doesn't fit their ideology, and (b) they see the science as suspect and designed to serve an opposing ideology. That kind of attitude toward "science" is not, however, unique to conservatives. It's what humans tend to do.

"But empirical data, Tullett said, is theoretically the most neutral type of information available; objectivity is one of the main goals of the scientific method." Yes, empirical data is among the most objective. But what sort of "empirical" data is available to prove or disprove "the justness of the world?" Are you going to measure conviction rates for crime? Evaluate the punishments for fairness? On what standard? Is there an empirical dataset on the quality of "justice?"

And, here she becomes disingenuous, I think -- “In a context where defensiveness should not be a factor – you’re just being told there’s information relevant to an issue you care about – I didn’t necessarily anticipate that political orientation would be a factor,” - really? You have issues like "justness of the world," "social safety nets" and "benefits of social media" and you don't think a self-identifying "conservative" is going to think they see where this is headed? Conservatives aren't interested in the information on the "justness of the world" because they don't think the information can be reliable or change their mind. What information is there going to be on that topic? Some stat that one race has less financial means than another race, taken collectively? A conservative doesn't necessarily view that as unjust anyway.

"It just seems that they are less optimistic than liberals about how much scientific data can teach us." How about pick issues on which liberals tend to be averse to what the data says, and there are those issues. Maybe "The need for GMO's in food or the efficacy of GMOs." Or, as above, the genetic difference between races/sexes in IQ.

I've heard left leaning folks and self-avowed liberals ask "what are you going to do with that data?" Or words to that effect - relative to IQ information. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... grets.html
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Social "science" Lol.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:50 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Forty Two wrote:. . . "benefits of social media" and you don't think a self-identifying "conservative" is going to think they see where this is headed?
What political implications might a conservative be wary of in regard to the topic of the benefits of social media?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 pm

the article wrote:...conservatives were more skeptical about the value of science compared with liberals...
We saw a similar sentiment expressed recently during the EU referendum campaign. "Britain has had enough of experts," etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 pm

I'll make a study, social justice warriors driven to violence when presented with empirical data.

Subjects will be segregation, white inventions, and a women's place is in the home.......
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 pm

But this is politics and values are king.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:15 am

rachelbean wrote:Darn those lefty questions : :lay:
I've got to admit, they did strike me as kind of lefty when I read them. Conservatives already don't give a shit about modern social practices, so they are going to be less likely to want to read about them.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:28 am

rachelbean wrote:Darn those lefty questions : :lay:
:hairfire:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:22 am

Here in this part of Europe conservatives are liberals. A matter of definition.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:49 am

Sensible centrists can smile cynically at all the extremes...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!