Racism about islam can't exist: islam isn't a race: Poll

Do you agree with the substantive motion?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 14

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Racism about islam can't exist: islam isn't a race: Poll

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:05 am

JimC wrote:A clear case of the Hemingway virus. Nothing can be done for the patient... :nono:
Turns out to be a faux-Hemingway virus. Copypasta from a member residing in another forum. The meeting place was established by an outfit that sells flannelette shirts but does not stock shaving gear. No women there, which does not surprise at all once you've perused it for a few minutes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

Can we get back to calling each other racists and trolls please?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:19 am

Why, the faux Hemingway is nice.

and there's nothing to debate about, islam is not a race, and a disgust for it, like for all religions, is fully justified.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Racist! :prof:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 pm

troll :coffee:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:34 pm

:lay:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Exi5tentialist wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:I take it that you are declining my invitation to justify your assertions? No obligation, no matter. Your silence makes as strong a case as your postings.
If you could come up for air from all the verbosity and just say what you meant by philocratic I'd be grateful.
To repeat a semantic token which, I believe, is considered common and appropriate parlance among the more youthful members of the forum, "lolz".

Having already encouraged you to take a reading of that term in context, and notwithstanding that I also provided two links to forthright definitions of the morphonomic device employed, you now seem to be making this issue a condition of your continuing engagement on this matter. So let me be explicit.

In post #1645145 you stated, that...
Exi5tentialist wrote:As with the dualism of "criticize the idea, not the person", this islam-muslim separation has philosophically religious roots.
... which, you went on to intone, was a notion, a construct, or a conceit which gave (presumably members of this forum - yourself excepted of course, because your 'concerns' invariably only relate to the attitudes and modes of expression of others) free licence "to act in a discriminatory way". I do not think I have misrepresented your basic thrust here, but please feel free to correct me if some important nuance needs bringing to the fore.

Nonetheless, in my response, which in itself was quite detailed, I parsed the portmanteau 'philocratic', a portmanteau being, according Messers Webster and Merriam, "a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms."

Holding your phrase "philosophically religious roots" in mind, I offer this brief exposition on the inferred meaning of "philocratic".
  • It is derived through a conjunction of 'philosophy' and 'theocracy'.
  • Where 'philosophy' is concerned with truth and reason and 'theology', in the religious rather than the purely academic sense, is concerned with excuses, 'theocracy' is concerned with authorisation and control by officiates and/or institutions which claim or are regarded to be divinely guided, inspired and/or empowered.
  • I employed the portmanteau 'philocratic' in lieu of 'Philosophically religious', a term which, one would hope, conveys the non-sequitorial nature of either an implicit or objective claim to a rational foundation in truth and reason for justifications which promote the imposition of authoritarian control on the basis of divine guidance, command, inspiration, or empowerment.
I'll grant that this may not have been totally transparent at first glance, but even accepting the fact that 'philocratic' was used in the context of a direct response to your assertion that any distinction between an individual and their ideas is necessarily and (one presumes) fatally undermined by its 'philosophically religious roots,' at least you have it now and can turn a more charitable focus toward addressing my remarks.

In the meantime, consider this word a gift; a jewel, if you like - one with which to bedeck your robes of erudition and enhancing their lustre. Integrate it into your personal lexicon. Deploy it formal and social settings with alacrity and wilful enthusiasm. It's use will surely astound your friend and most likely render you more appealing to those whom you wish to enchant.

As for your basic point, that the nature, structure, and/or content of my vernacular forecloses on any discursive obligations you may have to respond to reasonable challenges and requests for apposite qualification in kind, I would just say this: who elected you King Of The Forum: the ultimate arbiter who issues binding decrees, no doubt from some self-appointed throne of righteous judgement, on the appropriate manner and mode in which others must couch the expression of their ideas?

Take heart though. I am not deterred or daunted, and await your reply in eagerness, in earnest, and (at the moment) in the cosy onesie my Daughter gave me this Christmas last.

edit: took a little something out and stuck a little something in
Last edited by Brian Peacock on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:08 pm

pwned!

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:In the meantime, consider this word a gift; a jewel, if you like - one with which to bedeck your robes of erudition and enhancing their lustre. Integrate it into your personal lexicon. Deploy it formal and social settings with alacrity and wilful enthusiasm. It's use will surely astound your friend and most likely render you more appealing to those whom you wish to enchant.
:lol: :swoon:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:30 pm

rachelbean wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:In the meantime, consider this word a gift; a jewel, if you like - one with which to bedeck your robes of erudition and enhancing their lustre. Integrate it into your personal lexicon. Deploy it formal and social settings with alacrity and wilful enthusiasm. It's use will surely astound your friend and most likely render you more appealing to those whom you wish to enchant.
:lol: :swoon:
But...but there's an apostrophe where one doesn't belong :cry:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

rachelbean
"awesome."

Post by rachelbean » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Maybe if you said it :dunno:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:36 pm

rachelbean wrote:Maybe if you said it :dunno:
I don't understand what you mean. Make no mistake, I think Brian's post was magnificent. It's just that the inappropriate apostrophe is making my OCD flare up :(
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

rachelbean
"awesome."

Post by rachelbean » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Posting while working again, bad idea. I thought you said comma (even after I quoted you). I see what you are referring to now :console:

Exi5tentialist

Post by Exi5tentialist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Exi5tentialist wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:I take it that you are declining my invitation to justify your assertions? No obligation, no matter. Your silence makes as strong a case as your postings.
If you could come up for air from all the verbosity and just say what you meant by philocratic I'd be grateful.
To repeat a semantic token which, I believe, is considered common and appropriate parlance among the more youthful members of the forum, "lolz".

Having already encouraged you to take a reading of that term in context, and notwithstanding that I also provided two links to forthright definitions of the morphonomic device employed, you now seem to be making this issue a condition of your continuing engagement on this matter. So let me be explicit.

In post #1645145 you stated, that...
Exi5tentialist wrote:As with the dualism of "criticize the idea, not the person", this islam-muslim separation has philosophically religious roots.
... which, you went on to intone, was a notion, a construct, or a conceit which gave (presumably members of this forum - yourself excepted of course, because your 'concerns' invariably only relate to the attitudes and modes of expression of others) free licence "to act in a discriminatory way". I do not think I have misrepresented your basic thrust here, but please feel free to correct me if some important nuance needs bringing to the fore.

Nonetheless, in my response, which in itself was quite detailed, I parsed the portmanteau 'philocratic', a portmanteau being, according Messers Webster and Merriam, "a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms."

Holding your phrase "philosophically religious roots" in mind, I offer this brief exposition on the inferred meaning of "philocratic".
  • It is derived through a conjunction of 'philosophy' and 'theocracy'.
  • Where 'philosophy' is concerned with truth and reason and 'theology', in the religious rather than the purely academic sense, is concerned with excuses, 'theocracy' is concerned with authorisation and control by officiates and/or institutions which claim or are regarded to be divinely guided, inspired and/or empowered.
  • I employed the portmanteau 'philocratic' in lieu of 'Philosophically religious', a term which, one would hope, conveys the non-sequitorial nature of either an implicit or objective claim to a rational foundation in truth and reason for justifications which promote the imposition of authoritarian control on the basis of divine guidance, command, inspiration, or empowerment.
I'll grant that this may not have been totally transparent at first glance, but even accepting the fact that 'philocratic' was used in the context of a direct response to your assertion that any distinction between an individual and their ideas is necessarily and (one presumes) fatally undermined by its 'philosophically religious roots,' at least you have it now and can turn a more charitable focus toward addressing my remarks.

In the meantime, consider this word a gift; a jewel, if you like - one with which to bedeck your robes of erudition and enhancing their lustre. Integrate it into your personal lexicon. Deploy it formal and social settings with alacrity and wilful enthusiasm. It's use will surely astound your friend and most likely render you more appealing to those whom you wish to enchant.

As for your basic point, that the nature, structure, and/or content of my vernacular forecloses on any discursive obligations you may have to respond to reasonable challenges and requests for apposite qualification in kind, I would just say this: who elected you King Of The Forum: the ultimate arbiter who issues binding decrees, no doubt from some self-appointed throne of righteous judgement, on the appropriate manner and mode in which others must couch the expression of their ideas?

Take heart though. I am not deterred or daunted, and await your reply in eagerness, in earnest, and (at the moment) in the cosy onesie my Daughter gave me this Christmas last.

edit: took a little something out and stuck a little something in
Well I can certainly say that your pseudo-erudite drivel, which hardly says anything, wastes a lot of time. Fortunately not mine.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Oh my, mortally offended am I. :dq:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT