US Gay teens

Lozzer
First Only Gay

US Gay teens

Post by Lozzer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Having registered as a member on a forum for gay teens, I'm actually really appalled by the reality of the situation in the states. I've been convinced that British teens have it tough, but the reality that homosexual kids have to face in the US is disgusting. I've read so many testaments from kids no older than 14 or 15 who just can't handle the stress of it all. Many of them live in religious households with devout parents. Many of their families are incredibly homophobic. They can't 'come out' because of fear of reprisals from their own mums and dads. It just shouldn't be happening. To perplex things even further many of these kids have atheistic sympathies, so to speak. I've talked to a few of them and the situation seems pretty terrible. They come onto the forums asking for advice from other teenagers, and the results are always the same. No one can give a suitable solution to their problems which doesn't include "stay at school, work hard and hope to find a college far from your family and possibly your state". It should be a 21st century shame that young homosexual teens should have to wait so long and persevere so much to escape the prejudices of their own community and parents.
These kids are depressed and feel that they have no hope for their future. They've been taught to feel guilty for existing, and they do. I don't think there's anything so sad as a 15 year old boy talking about wanting to end it all and commit suicide. They can't even reach out for the support they need in their area because of the piousness of councillors and people who should know better. There's no trust and no opportunity for them to escape.

I've noticed that many British posters on the forum can't relate to their American counterparts' situation. Their inappropriate advice is a monument to how much our country has progressed over the years, but a total indictment of how America hasn't :nono: They say "just tell everyone you're gay, I'm sure they'd accept it" but they just don't understand the jeopardy that it could put these boys in :nono: I feel a little disappointed in myself that I've had to tell them to keep their sexuality to themselves and tell no one. Is this modern America? Where the fuck are the basic human rights that these kids are entitled to?
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: US Gay teens

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 pm

The problem with self-reporting polls is that parties with an interest tend to reply much more than those that don't have an interest. It skews the results.

(In other words, you're only hearing from that have issues.)
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

RuleBritannia
Cupid is a cunt!
About me: About you

Post by RuleBritannia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:The problem with self-reporting polls is that parties with an interest tend to reply much more than those that don't have an interest. It skews the results.

(In other words, you're only hearing from that have issues.)
+1
RuleBritannia © MMXI

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Lozzer wrote:I've noticed that many British posters on the forum can't relate to their American counterparts' situation. Their inappropriate advice is a monument to how much our country has progressed over the years, but a total indictment of how America hasn't :nono:
Pure dross. Attitudes towards homosexuality have undergone a sea change in the US in recent years. Public acceptance still isn't where they ought to be, but to say America hasn't progressed over the years is nonsense.

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Ian wrote:
Lozzer wrote:I've noticed that many British posters on the forum can't relate to their American counterparts' situation. Their inappropriate advice is a monument to how much our country has progressed over the years, but a total indictment of how America hasn't :nono:
Pure dross. Attitudes towards homosexuality have undergone a sea change in the US in recent years. Public acceptance still isn't where they ought to be, but to say America hasn't progressed over the years is nonsense.

Is this why you have Bill O'reilly on one of America's most popular channels ranting every given moment about the 'gay agenda' in hope to discredit any legitimate attempt to make society more tolerant of homosexuals?
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Lozzer wrote:
Ian wrote:

Is this why you have Bill O'reilly on one of America's most popular channels ranting every given moment about the 'gay agenda' in hope to discredit any legitimate attempt to make society more tolerant of homosexuals?
Lozzer, Bill O'reilly does not equal America.
Several states now recognize gay marriage, and more are on their way. The military will likely soon get rid of "don't ask, don't tell" (most of the Joint Chiefs including the Chairman are now in favor of doing away with it). There are more gay characters on mainstream television and movies than you can shake a stick at. I think you know I could go on and on.
Don't drop Bill O'reilly's name as proof that American attitudes haven't changed in over the years.

enkidu

Post by enkidu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I am sure there are US sites addressing the problems, even the heartrending ones, of young gays in that unfortunate country, sites and organizations that do not respect the niceties. :pissed: Although I have no direct knowledge of them, I would recommend you to seek them up, see what they actually are accomplishing, and offer any assistance that you could supply.
This might be simply referring the atheistically inclined to their direct peers in W. Europe, Oz, Noz or Canada.
Apart from these lines I feel I am at just a loss as you. :(

Lozzer wrote:Having registered as a member on a forum for gay teens, I'm actually really appalled by the reality of the situation in the states. I've been convinced that British teens have it tough, but the reality that homosexual kids have to face in the US is disgusting. I've read so many testaments from kids no older than 14 or 15 who just can't handle the stress of it all. Many of them live in religious households with devout parents. Many of their families are incredibly homophobic. They can't 'come out' because of fear of reprisals from their own mums and dads. It just shouldn't be happening. To perplex things even further many of these kids have atheistic sympathies, so to speak. I've talked to a few of them and the situation seems pretty terrible. They come onto the forums asking for advice from other teenagers, and the results are always the same. No one can give a suitable solution to their problems which doesn't include "stay at school, work hard and hope to find a college far from your family and possibly your state". It should be a 21st century shame that young homosexual teens should have to wait so long and persevere so much to escape the prejudices of their own community and parents.
These kids are depressed and feel that they have no hope for their future. They've been taught to feel guilty for existing, and they do. I don't think there's anything so sad as a 15 year old boy talking about wanting to end it all and commit suicide. They can't even reach out for the support they need in their area because of the piousness of councillors and people who should know better. There's no trust and no opportunity for them to escape.

I've noticed that many British posters on the forum can't relate to their American counterparts' situation. Their inappropriate advice is a monument to how much our country has progressed over the years, but a total indictment of how America hasn't :nono: They say "just tell everyone you're gay, I'm sure they'd accept it" but they just don't understand the jeopardy that it could put these boys in :nono: I feel a little disappointed in myself that I've had to tell them to keep their sexuality to themselves and tell no one. Is this modern America? Where the fuck are the basic human rights that these kids are entitled to?
"That's not a dragon, that's a Norwegian Ridgeback!"

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm

I think it's getting a little better. Slightly. In certain places. But it's still pretty impossible if you're gay or bi. Seems like a simple solution, though. Set up a gay teen suicide hotline. Man it with paedophiles. Or ephebophiles, more accurately, if I remember my terminology. Anyway, problem solved. Sorted.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Ian wrote:
I'll believe that when the neocons and other fundie chretins stop being a group to reckon with in the US (and the driving force behind the GOP), and when I stop regularly hearing about the possibility of reversing Roe Vs Wade (which might actually become a possibility under the roberts/alito SCotUS)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

GoodSmeagol

Post by GoodSmeagol » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:49 am

I am a Canadian.

Up here in Toronto, I have never felt there has been gross mistreatment of homosexuals.
In high school we had the dumb asses who thought they were cool calling people fags and such.
But for the most part I feel Toronto is pretty tolerant.

It is disgusting the way some people treat their kids, and I am sure there is enough parents here too that treat their kids like that.
I do laugh and point at people who call me or anyone else I know 'fag' i consider it one of the lamest forms of insults.
Along with "your mommas so fat...."

Twiglet

Post by Twiglet » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:07 am

No doubt some parts of America are much more accepting of homosexuality than others, but let's not kid ourselves.

Listen to this recent "Christian Rock" epic, titled "God hates fags", then we can talk liberated attitudes. This kind of stuff wouldn't get airplay in the UK or Australia.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 am

Twiglet wrote:No doubt some parts of America are much more accepting of homosexuality than others, but let's not kid ourselves.

Listen to this recent "Christian Rock" epic, titled "God hates fags", then we can talk liberated attitudes. This kind of stuff wouldn't get airplay in the UK or Australia.

Its a piss take, surely..... :shock:

Twiglet

Post by Twiglet » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 am

It's not a pisstake. The guy has a whole website dedicated to psychotherapy to "cure gays".

http://www.donniedavies.com/

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 am

Ian wrote:
There could be some real progress, and yet still a large number of young folk with exactly the problem Lozzer describes. And a much higher proportiohn than Europe or Australia, simply down to the large proportion of fundie families you have, even given a shift in public and media attitudes.

Lozzer was not really having a go at America, just the appalling stuation that gay teens in fundie families have to put up with...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 am

Twiglet wrote:It's not a pisstake. The guy has a whole website dedicated to psychotherapy to "cure gays".

http://www.donniedavies.com/
How disgusting. To suggest the god I was invited to believe in hates anyone seems downright evil to me.