CANADIANS - multiracials, hyphenated, mixed, halfbreed...

MattHunX
About me: I love science-fiction, I like listening to music (all kinds, but mostly power-metal), gaming and daydreaming a lot. Also reading a book now and then and some articles.
Location: Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Mid-East European Backwater (aka Hungary)

CANADIANS - multiracials, hyphenated, mixed, halfbreed...

Post by MattHunX » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I have to make a presentation for my class about Canada on the documentary film: Between: Living in the Hyphen (http://www.nfb.ca/film/between_living_in_the_hyphen).

I'm almost finished and have researched some history (on policies, on immigration and attitude towards immigrant). My teacher would like me to get information on what Canadians, especially those of more diverse ethnic backgrounds think of words like: hyphenated, mixed, halfbreed or...multiracial (<<< I know this irks them, I have posted this on the RDF forums too).

From what I've gathered so far, the situation of the immigrants wasn't very different from those in the "Melting Pot"...they say it has become a salad bowl. The U.S. hasn't been really a melting pot for decades. There was a China Town and Little Italy...not quite assimilation.
Once he ruled all his lands with a firm iron hand,
Not a queen by his side never knew the reason why
At the end of the tale I now finally see
That the Tragic King is me

All alone on my throne once held powers so strong
Searched for wisdom of Gods and the will to carry on
In my eyes you can see peaceful rest finally
Behold King of Tragedy

Axenstar - King of Tragedy

Randydeluxe
Filled With Aloha
About me: Ua mau ke ea o ka 'aina i ka pono.
Location: SoCal. Previously Honolulu, HI. Previously Vancouver, BC. Sometimes Austin, TX.

Re: CANADIANS - multiracials, hyphenated, mixed, halfbreed...

Post by Randydeluxe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm

I just read your post aloud to three Canadians and here were the immediate responses:

"We don't assimilate."

"We're multicultural."

"I don't like those words (half-breed, etc), but if someone wants to call themselves something, they can."

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 pm

I was born in Finland and came to Canada at the age of 16. I consider myself a canadian, not a finnish-canadian. I think that pointing someone out as an italian-canadian or any hyphenated canadian is demeaning; it's as if they weren't equal to other canadians.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

FedUpWithFaith
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by FedUpWithFaith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I was born in Finland and came to Canada at the age of 16. I consider myself a canadian, not a finnish-canadian. I think that pointing someone out as an italian-canadian or any hyphenated canadian is demeaning; it's as if they weren't equal to other canadians.
As an American I agree with that too, including African-American, although that appears to be the current popular appellation for black people. I try to avoid it though.

devogue

Post by devogue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Everything I know about Canada I learned from South Park.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Meh, I was born in Canada, my parents took me back to France when I was 8... and now I'm pure French... I didn't get the culture when I was growing up there, and what little I got was mostly left behgind (beside a taste for maple syrup on my pancakes, peanut butter sandwiches and choc chip cookies)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Saim

Post by Saim » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:58 am

I found that video was very interesting. As an Australian-born member of a visible ethnic minority and a bilingually-raised child of immigrants, I have experienced (or heard of from other "ethnic" Australians) encounters very similar to those recounted in the video by visible minority Canadians, so it was interesting to see how similar the situation of ethnic minorities in Canada. Obviously the situation is somewhat different in Canada though because of the tension between Anglophone and Francophone Canadians, though (I wish Australia had that diversity within its dominant European culture).
Woodbutcher wrote:I was born in Finland and came to Canada at the age of 16. I consider myself a canadian, not a finnish-canadian. I think that pointing someone out as an italian-canadian or any hyphenated canadian is demeaning; it's as if they weren't equal to other canadians.
I think that definitely is a problem, but I'd prefer the dominant group to identify as British or Anglo than for everyone else to just become "Canadians" (at least in terms of their ethnic identity).