American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 am

It's a simple mass, velocity and energy transfer problem. Angular displacement at the point of contact due to ball spin is a factor, though not a significant one, along with a tiny amount of energy lost or gained by the ball in flight relative to the angular momentum of the earth.

The internet tells me that a baseball bat can be no more than 32oz in weight, whereas the average weight of the cricket bat is around 46oz. A baseball can be no heavier than 5.25oz, whereas the standard cricket ball weighs c.5.75oz. Ignoring those aforementioned additional factors, along with friction, air density, weather conditions and temperature etc: Assuming the ball from each sport is travelling at the same speed when it meets its respective bat, which also travels at the same speed, the cricket ball will have a bit more flight energy.

So what?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:36 am

Merkans are pussies!!1 :awesome:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 am

At least we don't need a canoe paddle to hit the ball.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:50 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 am
At least we don't need a canoe paddle to hit the ball.
You obviously do, considering how often you miss. Kind of explains why a batting average of 0.3 runs per innings is considered excellent in baseball. Come back, Geoff Boycott. You were a relatively exciting player after all. :hehe:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:02 am

Not runs per inning like cricket, baseball batting average is number of hits divided by number of times at bat. If you bat .333 you'll hit once every three times at bat on average. Runs per inning would be much, much lower. Highest career average was Ty Cobb, at .366. It's not a particularly useful statistic, RBI (runs batted in) and runs scored are a better measure of batting performance. The maximum number of runs a single batter can score in any at bat is one if you don't count RBIs, 4 if you do.
Last edited by laklak on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:21 am

OK that got me looking at baseball statistics, which is a rathole of epic proportions. The most runs scored in a single inning by an individual player depends on whether you include RBIs or only runs they themselves scored. A Run Batted In is when another player scores because of your hit. The record for most runs scored by a player in one inning is 3, a record shared by three players. The highest number of TOTAL runs scored by an individual player in one inning is 8, by Fernando Tatis on April 23, 1999. That figure includes RBIs and runs the batter scored. Tatis hit two home runs in one inning, and in both cases the bases were loaded (men on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd). So 2 runs for him plus 6 RBIs. The most runs scored by a player in a single game was 7, by Guy Hecker of the Louisville Eclipse in 1886. Most runs scored in a single season was 192, by Billy Hamilton of the 1894 Philadelphia Phillies.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 am

Yeah, well, as has been repeatedly mentioned, baseball and cricket are not really comparable, which is why I went into bat on behalf of the latter when you jokingly referred to the canoe paddle. Professional cricketers are regarded as useful with the bat if they average 30 to 40 runs per innings.

Australia's Donald Bradman holds the record with 99.94. In the last innings of his career he needed four runs to retire with an average of 100. One boundary would have done the trick. Bradman walked on as #3 to a standing ovation. Everyone knew this was going to be his last match, though nobody suspected it would be his last innings. When he arrived at the crease the English team surrounded him and gave him three cheers. Honoured opponent and all that.

A boundary was all that was needed to get to a hundred. To this end England's captain, Norman Yardley, instructed the bowler, Eric Hollies, to bowl straight, and outside the off stump. That would be about the easiest delivery to score from. Bradman padded the first one away to get his eye in, tried to do the same to the second, caught an inside edge and dragged the ball onto the stumps. Out for a duck. Heh, almost a golden duck.

The reason Bradman did not bat in the second innings was that there was none. England got bowled out for 52 runs in their first innings. Australia clobbered them for 389 in theirs. Then England were all out for 188 in their second. Australia won by an innings and 149 runs, hence no need for a second Australian innings. Not that it was likely for Bradman to get back up to 100. He would have needed 196 runs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:36 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Pussies.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 am
It's a simple mass, velocity and energy transfer problem. Angular displacement at the point of contact due to ball spin is a factor, though not a significant one, along with a tiny amount of energy lost or gained by the ball in flight relative to the angular momentum of the earth.

The internet tells me that a baseball bat can be no more than 32oz in weight, whereas the average weight of the cricket bat is around 46oz. A baseball can be no heavier than 5.25oz, whereas the standard cricket ball weighs c.5.75oz. Ignoring those aforementioned additional factors, along with friction, air density, weather conditions and temperature etc: Assuming the ball from each sport is travelling at the same speed when it meets its respective bat, which also travels at the same speed, the cricket ball will have a bit more flight energy.

So what?
So what? No nothing. They're different sports. I don't know what is making people so concerned about Cricket being seen as the tougher sport. The bounce slows the ball down. The ball cannot be going 100 MPH when it gets to the batter. The distance thrown/bowled also appears to be different.

Who fucking cares? Only someone with an odd inferiority complex that they need their favorite sport to be deemed more manly.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 pm
Pussies.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 am
Australia's Donald Bradman ...
I'm pretty good a Trivial Pursuit, except for sports questions. The UK version had a lot of questions about cricket. I'd automatically answer "Donald Bradman" and was right about half the time.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 pm

That's what I tell folks who say they aren't good at trivial pursuit - just guess. I mean, if it's a boxer, it's probably one of the couple-three that you know. If you only know one baseball player, just name that guy.

I finally got my mom to start guessing at trivial pursuit and she suddenly started being half-competitive.

Some people are nervous about answering, unless they are 100% confident about the answer, because they think they look stupid if they get the answer wrong. It's the same urge that keeps people from randomly guessing on a multiple choice exam because they don't know. They prefer to automatically get it wrong than to guess one out of four.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 am

So what?
So what? No nothing. They're different sports. I don't know what is making people so concerned about Cricket being seen as the tougher sport. The bounce slows the ball down. The ball cannot be going 100 MPH when it gets to the batter. The distance thrown/bowled also appears to be different.

Who fucking cares? Only someone with an odd inferiority complex that they need their favorite sport to be deemed more manly.
I agree. Each sport is interesting, or not, for it's own reasons and not because the other one is better or worse. The bounce in cricket is an interesting technical feature of the game, but it's not obligatory. Known as the Yorker, the bowler attempts to strike the lower leg of the batsman or the wicket directly without a bounce...

Oooff!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Congrats to the BoSox on another World Series win. Well played.