Winter Olympics 2018

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51045
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 am

Oh and fucken figure skating is STILL on! :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20881
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Hermit » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:35 am

pErvinalia wrote:Oh and fucken figure skating is STILL on! :lay:
Couldn't find the :gaah: emoticon? ;)

If you do a really thorough search you'll probably find a switch somewhere that turns the TV off.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62645
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Plus the cultural differences. A love poem is very different to many people.
They are games, Scot. Games do not need to be objectively measurable. Why this insistence on tape measure and clock? Have you never been a child, playing games where rules were made up, then changed, throughout its course, and yet someone finished up being declared the winner by common consent? For crying out loud, poetry, chess and theatre contests are not meant to replace the 100 metre foot race. They never were even in the antiquities. They (except for chess) were just part of the Olympic games.
Chess and Bridge both applied for entry into the 2020 Olympics. I have no idea if they were approved or not. I suppose not,
Thank fuck for that.
I know you want to see punching nazis as the new olympic sport. Points given for artistic creativity, as well as bone damage...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Gord
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 am
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:17 am

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/ ... -drug-test
Russian curler stripped of Olympic medal, country pays fee

...Within hours of curler Alexander Krushelnitsky being stripped of a bronze medal for a doping violation, the Russian Olympic Committee said it had paid a $15 million fee that was part of the criteria to have its team reinstated at the Pyeongchang Games.

Russia’s team was officially banned from the games because of widespread doping at the Sochi Olympics four years ago, but 168 Russians were allowed by the IOC to compete as “Olympic Athletes from Russia” under the Olympic flag.

The IOC is due to decide Saturday whether to formally reinstate the Russian team for the closing ceremony the following day.

With the doping case against Krushelnitsky shaping as a potential impediment, the Russians moved to settle the matter quickly....
The Russkies are already in trouble for doping, and now one of their curlers has tested positive for ...wait, meldonium???

[a link to a story from 2016] - http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35758901
Maria Sharapova: What is meldonium & will its use be widespread?

...According to Dr Tom Bassindale, a lecturer in forensic science at Sheffield Hallam University, it was developed in Latvia and approved in the early 2000s to treat diabetes and various heart-related diseases.

Dr Bassindale says it has the ability to adjust the body's use of energy, stimulating glucose metabolism and also helping to clear fatty build-up in the arteries....

...The ability to increase oxygen movement to muscles means meldonium could have a positive effect on stamina and endurance....

..."When deciding whether to ban a drug, Wada looks at three things. Will it enhance performance? Is it detrimental to the health of an athlete? Is it against the 'spirit of sport'?

"To be banned, a drug must 'fail' two of these three tests. Presumably, in this case, they have also decided the drug is against the 'spirit of sport'."...
But why would a curler be doping with meldonium??? The efforts in curling are brief events, and the time interval between such actions allows for plent of time to recover. Maybe if he had been exerting himself before the games, he might need a boost in order to be at peak performance when the games occurred.

On the other hang, he might have been doping during training, if he had been pushing himself for some reason.

But there are plenty of people wondering why a curler would feel the need to take meldonium.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 18151.html
The reaction to Alexander Krushelnitsky’s suspected positive drugs test for Meldonium within the 2018 Winter Olympics community has been one of bemusement after many of the Russian’s curling opponents asked why would someone dope in a sport that requires low intensity and endurance levels.
http://www.euronews.com/2018/02/19/bewi ... -meldonium
...”I think most people will laugh and ask, ‘what could you possibly need doping for?', as I am thinking,“ said Madeleine Dupont, a curler for Denmark. “I‘m not even sure what use doping would be for in curling. There is probably something with strength, I‘m not sure, it’s not down my alley.”...
Meldonium can remain in the system for months after termination of use, however:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/11/spor ... index.html
..."Anyone who had been suspended for an ADRV (Anti-Doping Rule Violation) was not invited," IOC medical and scientific director Richard Budgett told reporters in Pyeongchang on Sunday.

"As you know, meldonium was a special issue. It was accepted that, because of the way it was metabolized it could stay in the system for many, many months, even nine months after it had been taken, because its [sic] stored in red blood cells, released and then stored again...

"So if the case was consistent with usage before meldonium was prohibited, that would not be considered an ADRV."...
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51045
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:13 am

JimC wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Plus the cultural differences. A love poem is very different to many people.
They are games, Scot. Games do not need to be objectively measurable. Why this insistence on tape measure and clock? Have you never been a child, playing games where rules were made up, then changed, throughout its course, and yet someone finished up being declared the winner by common consent? For crying out loud, poetry, chess and theatre contests are not meant to replace the 100 metre foot race. They never were even in the antiquities. They (except for chess) were just part of the Olympic games.
Chess and Bridge both applied for entry into the 2020 Olympics. I have no idea if they were approved or not. I suppose not,
Thank fuck for that.
I know you want to see punching nazis as the new olympic sport. Points given for artistic creativity, as well as bone damage...
:ab:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25341
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:35 am

JimC wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Plus the cultural differences. A love poem is very different to many people.
They are games, Scot. Games do not need to be objectively measurable. Why this insistence on tape measure and clock? Have you never been a child, playing games where rules were made up, then changed, throughout its course, and yet someone finished up being declared the winner by common consent? For crying out loud, poetry, chess and theatre contests are not meant to replace the 100 metre foot race. They never were even in the antiquities. They (except for chess) were just part of the Olympic games.
Chess and Bridge both applied for entry into the 2020 Olympics. I have no idea if they were approved or not. I suppose not,
Thank fuck for that.
I know you want to see punching nazis as the new olympic sport. Points given for artistic creativity, as well as bone damage...
Nazi slapping on ice?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51045
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Pushing Nazis down the big ski jump. The stacks would be spectacular! :awesome:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25341
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I see a Russian curler has been done for performance enhancing drugs. What did he need to take to enhance his curling? Something to keep him awake perhaps?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Forty Two » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Well, the original Olympic games are not much like the ones we have today. Athletes aren't competing nude, for example. They had horse racing and chariot racing in the ancient Olympics. They'd have footraces in full armor and helmets. The javelin event was done on horseback at full gallop and the javelin was thrown at a mounted shield. Boxers only wore leather straps over their hands, and fought in the open, not in a ring. All sorts of differences.
So true, but is that supposed to be a good reason for not having chess, theatre or poetry as part of the program?
No, it's making the point that "they did it in in the original Olympics" is not a particularly "good" reason for putting one thing or another in the Olympics now.

Again, I've not advocated one way or the other for any game or sport or contest to be included or exclude. I don't much care. I'm probably just used to seeing it be a sporting contest, and I prefer the ones with the measurements and a winner that is not based on subjective judgment. That is NOT to say that it's inappropriate to have subjective judgment sports or games in the Olympics. It's my preference. Other people like the figure skating or trick snowboarding stuff. Good on 'em. If you want theater and poetry readings, that's your preference. I've not said you're "wrong" and the only "reason" to not put them in there is because the organizers of the games don't think they would be a net gain for the events as a whole.
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:And, "commercial interests trump" is just a way of saying that the organization must be run in a way that allows it to continue and thrive, and that the people vote with their dollars as to what they want in the Olympic games. If there is a significant population that agreed with you, then it would, by definition, make commercial sense to do it. But, if there isn't that population causing it to make sense to do it, then on what basis would one suggest putting it in there? That a few erudites think some less vulgar should be in the Olympics, and if the masses don't like it, tough?
Another good reason for not having chess, theatre or poetry as part of the program?
It's the only "reason." I mean, if staring contests put more asses in the seats than ski-jumping, that would be a good reason for staring contests to be in there.
Hermit wrote:
Rhetorical questions, I must admit. I already provided my answer to both here: "The choice of contests in modern times reflects a cretinisation, a descent to the lowest common denominator, especially since broadcasting the games has become big business for the media and advertisers alike..."
Translation: the choice of contests in modern times reflects what the masses want to see.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Gord
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 am
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I see a Russian curler has been done for performance enhancing drugs. What did he need to take to enhance his curling? Something to keep him awake perhaps?
What'm I, invisible?





...oh no, I AM INVISIBLE!!!

/me runs away screaming
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
Posts: 11883
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm
About me: philobarbaros
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Russian Curler Is Suspected Of Doping At Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
Nothing's stranger than reality. :lol:
:whistle:
"The world is nonsense bro"

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25341
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Ice golf dressage.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62645
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 pm

The elephant in the room is the fact that so many contestants at this olympics are on ice! :shock:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25341
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Downhill badminton?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm amazed Britain does so badly at the Winter Olympics. An entire tournament based around doing stuff in terrible freezing weather, we should be cleaning up really.
Insert witty signature here

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest