Winter Olympics 2018

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 pm

They're all cleaning up in the curling.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 am

Forty Two wrote:...if staring contests put more asses in the seats than ski-jumping, that would be a good reason for staring contests to be in there.
You must be fucking kidding. More donkeys on seats are only good for broadcasters' and advertisers' bottom lines... and the continued cretinisation of the plebs. Staring contests ought to be included in the Olympic games because no other game - not a cricket match that will be played out, nor even the noble sport of farnarkling - has more potential to stimulate and improve a viewer's intellectual prowess.

To show you what I mean, here are some highlights from the 43rd World Stare Out Championship Finals:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:36 am

Brian Peacock wrote:They're all cleaning up in the curling.
Well we are doing our best in proper speed skating. Another gold yesterday. The men's pursuit went badly due to a loss of a spring. :what:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 am

Brian Peacock wrote:They're all cleaning up in the curling.
Considering the frantic use of brooms in that sport it should surprise nobody.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...if staring contests put more asses in the seats than ski-jumping, that would be a good reason for staring contests to be in there.
You must be fucking kidding. More donkeys on seats are only good for broadcasters' and advertisers' bottom lines... and the continued cretinisation of the plebs. Staring contests ought to be included in the Olympic games because no other game - not a cricket match that will be played out, nor even the noble sport of farnarkling - has more potential to stimulate and improve a viewer's intellectual prowess.
Look, there were games in the original Olympics which we'd never have now. There are games now that you don't prefer, and which I don't prefer. I think Curling is a silly game (shuffleboard on ice). I have no idea why that's an Olympic sport. But when you're talking about the "reason" to put the sport on TV, it all depends one's perspective. The organizers have to be concerned with asses in the seats, and they can't be dedicated to what high-brows consider an elevated enough contest to make it in the mix, at least not exclusively. There has to be a balance.

Most of the sports in the winter olympics are painfully boring to watch, in my view. The purpose of the games, however, is to have a competition among nations in a good-natured, peaceful way, in an attempt to help foster the brotherhood of man. Oh, sorry, the siblinghood of peoplekind.

There is no overarching objective reason why one game should be included over another. We don't go by the original Olympics. After all, most of the sports in the winter games were not in the original Olympics. It's pretty much what people like and are interested in. That's the determining factor.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:02 pm

Except figure skating, which objectively sucks.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:25 pm

It's all a matter of perspective....
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 am

Forty Two wrote:The organizers have to be concerned with asses in the seats
Forty Two wrote:The purpose of the games, however, is to have a competition among nations in a good-natured, peaceful way, in an attempt to help foster the brotherhood of man.
That used to be the purpose. Over the decades the Olympic games have become a vehicle for making money. Big money. Sponsors are not charitable institutions. The dozen or so biggest ones do not chip in more than $100 million each unless they see a net-positive result in the offing, and have a look at the sponsors themselves. What exactly is the connection between sugary drinks and fatty fast foods and sporting competitions generally and Olympic competitions in particular? I mean, apart from the fact that the manufacturers are sponsors. Doesn't the irony strike you at all?

Nobody involved in the running of the Olympic games gives a fuck about competition among nations in a good-natured, peaceful way, in an attempt to help foster the brotherhood of man. They are in it for the money and national prestige. The more bums on seats, the greater the number of idiot box watchers, the bigger the potential profits. And that in turn, as I mentioned earlier, necessitates lowering the niveau to the lowest common denominator. Therefore no chess, no theatre, no poetry.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:30 am

South Korea now has to clean up the white elephants or add them to the list of world wide olympic ruins.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The organizers have to be concerned with asses in the seats
Forty Two wrote:The purpose of the games, however, is to have a competition among nations in a good-natured, peaceful way, in an attempt to help foster the brotherhood of man.
That used to be the purpose. Over the decades the Olympic games have become a vehicle for making money. Big money. Sponsors are not charitable institutions. The dozen or so biggest ones do not chip in more than $100 million each unless they see a net-positive result in the offing, and have a look at the sponsors themselves. What exactly is the connection between sugary drinks and fatty fast foods and sporting competitions generally and Olympic competitions in particular? I mean, apart from the fact that the manufacturers are sponsors. Doesn't the irony strike you at all?

Nobody involved in the running of the Olympic games gives a fuck about competition among nations in a good-natured, peaceful way, in an attempt to help foster the brotherhood of man. They are in it for the money and national prestige. The more bums on seats, the greater the number of idiot box watchers, the bigger the potential profits. And that in turn, as I mentioned earlier, necessitates lowering the niveau to the lowest common denominator. Therefore no chess, no theatre, no poetry.
Well, you refer to it "used to" having the noble purpose. And, you say now it doesn't, "therefore," no chess, no theater, no poetry. However, it never had chess, theater or poetry in the last 100 years or so since the Olympics were recreated in the modern age. So, even when it did have that noble purpose, you did not see the activities you think should be in there.

Moreover, if the commercial nature of the events gets more people to watch, isn't that good? I'm not sure what what of the events currently in the mix are lowest common denominator. I mean, traditionally, skiing, figure skating, hockey, etc. were in the mix. Is it a reduction to the baser levels to add snowboarding?