Cubs vs. Indians

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Cubs vs. Indians

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Svartalf wrote:No esta usted en el sur, señor.

Il est né loin au sud de moi, vous lourdaud.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Callate, maricon
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Just sayin' :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Forty Two wrote: Soccer is a great sport. Baseball is a different sport and is great in its own way. They aren't played the same, and not everyone is going to enjoy one or the other. Some people, like me, enjoy them both.
What the fuck is "soccer"?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:42 pm

It's simply not cricket, old boy... :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:

You mean there are other sports in which balls are pitched and hit, and it involves running and scoring points? And, some of them are played by women?

You can keep your sissy rounders. If you're interested in bat/ball sports, watch a real one: women's fast pitch softball.

And, I gotta tell ya, any soccer fan can fuck right off with criticizing any other sport, not just baseball, for the resemblance to a girl's sport. If anybody plays like girls it's men's world soccer players. And, I love the game of soccer. I played it since I was 10 years old, into my 40s with recreational teams. It's a great game to play. But, since the 1980s, every fucking world cup competition, and you can add to that men's British premiere league soccer, have played like fucking sissies. That's why, although every four years the world cup gets me all going, all set to watch the best in the world play for all the marbles -- and every single time I'm stuck cringing at the absolute pussification of that beautiful game.

You know who DON'T play like girls? The women's world cup soccer players. To a person, the women play harder and less like pussies than the men. They play the fucking game instead diving and crying like toddlers every two fucking seconds. I absolutely love the women's world cup. It's fantastic, and I can't remember a time when they've dived, over-exaggerated a tackle to draw a penalty, etc. None of that shit.

So fuck off.
Last edited by Forty Two on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Animavore wrote:
Forty Two wrote: Soccer is a great sport. Baseball is a different sport and is great in its own way. They aren't played the same, and not everyone is going to enjoy one or the other. Some people, like me, enjoy them both.
I think he may be referring to Association Football, the game of over-paid guttersnipes and fly-by-night spivs from investment banking looking for a handy sink hole from which to generate favourable tax deductions.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Animavore wrote:
It's short for "Association Football," and the word was coined in England, numbnuts. Association football was distinct from rugby football, as both are forms of fucking football, as is American football, Canadian football, and Australian football.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Despite the inevitable diversion into references to rounders and the usual nonsense about how western Europeans think everyone should play the games they like.....don't try to like a sport from somewhere else, guys. That would be crazy.

The Cubbies tied up the series 1-1 by defeating the Indians 5-1 last night in a good game.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:47 pm

Forty Two wrote:So fuck off.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:10 am

You bloody western Europeans! :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:13 am

Sport is the opiate of the masses...
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:38 am

Sport and Victorian Values

During the mid-nineteenth century certain sporting activities were transformed from a collection of unruly pastimes into a series of structured and codified games via the English public schools. This transformation, it is argued, primarily took place through the work of Thomas Arnold, head teacher of Rugby School between 1828–41. Arnold’s appointment at Rugby came at a time when wider criticisms prevailed of unruliness and disorder in the public schools; evils which he resolved to remedy. Central to Arnold’s reforms were his religious beliefs and his desire to transform his young charges into ‘good Christian gentlemen’.

During the mid-nineteenth century Charles Kingsley and Thomas Hughes, a pupil of Arnold’s, became key figures in the relationship between sport and religion. Perhaps most notable in this respect was Hughes’s 1857 book Tom Brown’s Schooldays. The sense of high moral value and manly Christian endeavour embedded in the storyline formed the basis of what came to be known as ‘muscular Christianity’, a term encapsulating notions of spiritual, moral and physical purity.

JA Mangan, Athleticism in the Victorian and Edwardian Public School; Cass 1981

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:53 am

Muscular christianity, eh...

I, of course, am a proponent of cerebral atheism... :tea:
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 am

Forty Two wrote:Baseball is a different sport and is great in its own way.
Yes, definitely different and certainly great in its own way. Just like this plucky competitor.

:hehe:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould