Who is most likely to get away with doping?

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
DRSB

Who is most likely to get away with doping?

Post by DRSB » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:37 pm

... Considering that most likely everyone is doping.

It’s harder than ever to dope your way to glory—but some athletes will probably get away with it anyway

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... R_20160810

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Who is most likely to get away with doping?

Post by Rum » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:07 pm

I think everyone dopes, depending on how you look at it. They all want to get that extra 100th of a second or whatever the edge they need is and they will go as far as they possibly can. Some miscalculate and whatever they've taken doesn't leave their systems in time and they get caught, others try other cutting edge stuff that they think will make a difference. All of them take this that an the other in the hope it will make a difference I am sure.

The problem isn't doping, it is the stakes involved. A gold winner can be a millionaire overnight.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:37 pm

There are many sports where doping has little effect on performance but the effect on a competitors training can be significant. This is what makes Russian government collusion in faking out of competition doping tests so clever, and sneaky, and hard to tackle. But I also wonder, "What would the record for the 100m be if pharmacological assistance was allowed? And wouldn't that be a valid speed record no different to building a special car to break the land speed record?"
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:02 am

Would sips of neat gin count as doping in the International Quadratic Equation Solving Olympiad?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:33 am

No, alcohol is more of a performance downer, I'd say. But who needs any enhancers for solving of quadratic equations?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:34 am

Brian Peacock wrote:There are many sports where doping has little effect on performance but the effect on a competitors training can be significant. This is what makes Russian government collusion in faking out of competition doping tests so clever, and sneaky, and hard to tackle. But I also wonder, "What would the record for the 100m be if pharmacological assistance was allowed? And wouldn't that be a valid speed record no different to building a special car to break the land speed record?"
Well you look at the death of Tommy Simpson on Mount Ventoux away back when there was no control maybe that is what would look like. Athletes dying all over the place.

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:46 am

I am still mourning Pantani.