AFL vs Soccer

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: AFL vs Soccer

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:25 am

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:...played by people whose IQ is smaller than their collar size...
George Peponis played for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, New South Wales and for the Australian national side. He played in eight Tests for the Australia between 1978 and 1980, as captain on five consecutive occasions in 1979 and 1980. In 1976 he graduated as a medical doctor. After retiring from the NSW premier league Nathan Gibbs also became a medical doctor (Nathan Gibbs). Gavin Hanrahan is a lawyer now. Nick Bradley Qualia - political science, Geoff Toovey - accountant, Adam MacDougall - B. Law/Econ, Julian Bailey - B. Construction Management, David Hall - B. Comm CA, Tony Butterfeild - B. Business MBA, Mark Sargent - B Business MBA, Bob Lindner - optometrist ...
Don't spoil a good story with your fucking facts! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:...played by people whose IQ is smaller than their collar size...
George Peponis played for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, New South Wales and for the Australian national side. He played in eight Tests for the Australia between 1978 and 1980, as captain on five consecutive occasions in 1979 and 1980. In 1976 he graduated as a medical doctor. After retiring from the NSW premier league Nathan Gibbs also became a medical doctor (Nathan Gibbs). Gavin Hanrahan is a lawyer now. Nick Bradley Qualia - political science, Geoff Toovey - accountant, Adam MacDougall - B. Law/Econ, Julian Bailey - B. Construction Management, David Hall - B. Comm CA, Tony Butterfeild - B. Business MBA, Mark Sargent - B Business MBA, Bob Lindner - optometrist ...
Don't spoil a good story with your fucking facts! :lay:
Keep your shirt on, pal. I was just agreeing with you. You were reading collar sizes in millimetres, yes?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:37 am

:lol:

It's seems like there's a cultural trope to mark down anyone predominantly involved in physical activities as a bit dim, whether that be in competitive ball games or brickies or squaddies etc, janitors or chambermaids, blah blah blah. It's a class thing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:51 pm

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Brian has carefully positioned his image to be a commentator who pushes the boundaries and generates controversy...
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:04 am

No I haven't.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:38 am

:hehe:
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Aussie Rules seems to be the only football code where it it is practically demanded that you pole-axe your opponents for having the temerity to hold on to the ball for more than a split-second.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Particularly if they play for Collingwood...
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:10 pm

I should also point out that in years past, soccer used be a much, much more violent sport, where you could kick lumps out of your opponent and not get booked, let alone sent off. Those halcyon days are long gone, at least at the professional level. For similar reasons, the elbow smash into the face is much less common than it used to be, which is one reason why you don't see as many gap-toothed players these days. :teef:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Soccer is for girls.

Go Rabbitohs!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Fuck all this silly simulated combat shit. Buncha pansy ass mofos dressed in leotards prancing around on artificial turf chasing a fuckin ball. Let's get real, people. Lions and Christians, that's what I'm talking about. Thumbs up and thumbs down. Blood, gore, guts, veins in their teeth. Take off those gloves and roll their fists in hide glue and shattered glass. Net and trident vs axe and shield. I want some goddamn BLOOD for my money. But no animals get hurt! You want pit bulls to rip something apart toss 'em a kiddy fiddler slathered in liverwurst. No bear baiting!!

I do have an idea. It's like croquet, but instead of wickets you bury people up to their neck, and instead of a mallet you use a riding mower.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:20 pm

laklak wrote:I do have an idea. It's like croquet, but instead of wickets you bury people up to their neck, and instead of a mallet you use a riding mower.
Caligula had that idea 2000 years ago.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:53 pm

klr wrote:I should also point out that in years past, soccer used be a much, much more violent sport, where you could kick lumps out of your opponent and not get booked, let alone sent off. Those halcyon days are long gone, at least at the professional level. For similar reasons, the elbow smash into the face is much less common than it used to be, which is one reason why you don't see as many gap-toothed players these days. :teef:
Also the pitches were like ploughed fields when they played in black and white, which could be argued made the game far more technically challenging than the modern game.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:08 am

Damn, nothing new under the sun.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.