Women's World Cup

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Women's World Cup

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:16 pm

The 2015 Women's World Cup ended with the USA getting it's 3rd World Cup Championship, and solidifying itself as the most dominant team in the World over the seven World Cups, winning 3, and never placing below third overall. Woot woot!

The play in the World Cup was phenomenal, and at a very high caliber. While they can't compete with the men's teams, due to a lack of comparable speed and strength (and perhaps other factors), the technical play was terrific and the games were exciting. And there was no diving and faking injuries to draw penalties. Thanks to the Women's World Cup for bringing us a great competition which went unsullied by cheating floppers drawing penalties in the box and such other nonsense that has plagued the men's competition for decades.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Forty Two wrote:
The play in the World Cup was phenomenal, and at a very high caliber. While they can't compete with the men's teams, due to a lack of comparable speed and strength (and perhaps other factors)
Too much crying? :ask:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:16 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Well played US. :thumpup: Certainly the team to beat.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:04 am

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 am

:lol:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:29 am

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:35 am

If there was a women's world cup in Aussie rules football, our shielas would monster the rest of the world.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:26 am

which is why we prudently let Ozzie rules stay in the continent of their birth
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:06 pm

I think they do a disservice to the women to have them play on astroturf. Not sure why they require astroturf -- perhaps to speed up the game?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 pm

the viewer ratings of the Women's World Cup final was very encouraging -- it's actually the most watch US soccer game in history. http://qz.com/445626/the-womens-world-c ... ens-final/

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Astroturf? Really? If they did, I imagine it is possibly because Canada doesn't have a lot of grass fields. Don't you lot play Gridiron on astroturf? That's probably the main footy grounds that the Canadians have. Most other countries are either soccer fanatics or play two or more codes of grass field football (like the rugby codes).

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Yet the total payout for the Women’s World Cup this year will be $15 million, compared with the total for the men’s World Cup last year of $576 million, nearly 40 times as much. That also means that the Women’s World Cup payout is less than the reported $24 million to $35 million FIFA spent on its self-aggrandizing fiction film, United Passions. http://www.politico.eu/article/world-cu ... -equality/

Can FIFA be sued in Switzerland for sex discrimination?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:16 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Astroturf? Really? If they did, I imagine it is possibly because Canada doesn't have a lot of grass fields. Don't you lot play Gridiron on astroturf? That's probably the main footy grounds that the Canadians have. Most other countries are either soccer fanatics or play two or more codes of grass field football (like the rugby codes).
I don't think availability of grass is the problem. You can always put down a sod turf in a fairly short time.

FIFA made a conscious decision to hold the whole tournement on astroturf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:19 pm

That's bizarre. I remember seeing one game and thinking that looks like synthetic grass, but I didn't realise all of them were. I still can't help thinking it was the lack of grass fields. The cost in temporarily converting non grass fields I imagine would be perhaps prohibitive given they probably don't make much money from women's soccer.