That There World Cup of Winning Football.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
piscator

Re: That There World Cup of Winning Football.

Post by piscator » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 pm

19 minutes of sudden-death left in regulation...gonna get cynical out there now...

Germany should go old school FA for a few minutes. Wingers sprinting up the lines, racing for big long fullback passes. That's about the only thing that will open up Argentina's center.

piscator

Post by piscator » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:57 pm

What a save!

Or self-defense, if you see the replay... :pardon:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Germany deserved to win. Best club in it. And Argentina should have been down to 10 men before the goal, if the ref had seen that foul on Schweinsteiger.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:40 pm

That Götze goal would have to be among the top three of the tournament. I think neither team managed shining attacks, Argentina's defence was better and Germany was luckier.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

piscator

Post by piscator » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Schweinsteiger set a record for treatments on a World Cup pitch...Best poleaxe has to go to the Neuer, but it was fair 'n square. That technical 2-touch goal by Götze was a bolt of lightning. He was on autopilot when he rode it in.

It was a great matchup. Don't cry for Argentina.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Finally, something for Brazil to cheer about. Argentina lose! :woot:
Hermit wrote:That Götze goal would have to be among the top three of the tournament. I think neither team managed shining attacks, Argentina's defence was better and Germany was luckier.
Given the circumstances, it might well be the best. One thing in Götze's favour was that he didn't have time to think over-much.

Argentina must be bitterly regretting the chances they missed in normal time. Stating the bleedin' obvious I know ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Germany had a goal-post, and a few other good chances too. Best team won, in my opinion.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 pm

I agree Germany were better, especially so in extra time. that was the first time Argentina were behind in the World Cup finals, and the only goal they conceded in the knock-out stage. But you can't win a tournament on defence alone, except with the aid of penalty shoot-outs.

Compared to the other Germany - Argentina finals:

Immeasurably better than 1990 - that's easy.
!986? That was more entertaining than this match, but not quite as tense.

So Germany become the first European side to win in South America. European sides have now won the last three World Cups. I don't any region has done that before. It could be four in a row come 2018 in Russia,

Angie Merkel looks rather happy now, as she congratulates the German squad. I'll bet David Cameron is envious. :hehe:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Germany deserved to win. Best club in it. And Argentina should have been down to 10 men before the goal, if the ref had seen that foul on Schweinsteiger.
But then Höwedes could have got red not yellow for his challenge - the ball was on the floor and his studs were in the guy's (Zabaleta?) thigh!

I would've punished Neuer for the high challenge, I assumed the ref was giving a free kick to the argies and a yellow for the challenge not a free kick the other way.

Keepers can bring their knees up if making an underarm catch to protect the ball but he was punching so the high knee is dangerous, at least it would be if an outfield player did it.

No shots on target for Argentina though and Aguero will claim he's not fit, like Messi but they just didn't have the quality tonight.

Higuain was a bit of a mistake, perhaps driven by fitness concerns but he lacks consonants and probably made the team because he is name is difficult for germans to say.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:16 pm

I have a theory that it's only footballing success which is keeping Germany's natural megalomaniacal tendencies in check. No world wars started now for 75 years, in which time Germany has won four World Cups, so the world is probably safe for another 20 years or so.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 pm

Actually, this is the first time that Germany has won the world cup. West Germany won it 3 times previously, but technically, this is a first time winner! :hehe:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 am

HomerJay wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Germany deserved to win. Best club in it. And Argentina should have been down to 10 men before the goal, if the ref had seen that foul on Schweinsteiger.
But then Höwedes could have got red not yellow for his challenge - the ball was on the floor and his studs were in the guy's (Zabaleta?) thigh!

I would've punished Neuer for the high challenge, I assumed the ref was giving a free kick to the argies and a yellow for the challenge not a free kick the other way.

Keepers can bring their knees up if making an underarm catch to protect the ball but he was punching so the high knee is dangerous, at least it would be if an outfield player did it.

No shots on target for Argentina though and Aguero will claim he's not fit, like Messi but they just didn't have the quality tonight.

Higuain was a bit of a mistake, perhaps driven by fitness concerns but he lacks consonants and probably made the team because he is name is difficult for germans to say.

Good assessment, except those calls are always going to go to the keeper. They have nuts to protect too, and an attacker almost always comes out on the short end of a collision with a moving goalie.
Higuain would have gotten out of the way if he saw or heard Neuer bearing down. It was just his tough luck he got so greedy he lost his field awareness sprinting to a 50/50 ball at the corner of the PA. :fp:

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 am

Yep, as long as the keeper plays at the ball, he will be allowed almost anything, inside the box. I played goalie (in low series) for about ten years, and have lots of personal experience of that.

One interesting detail there was whether the ball was inside the penalty box when Neuer hit it. It looks to me like Higuain was just inside, so it should have been a penalty kick, had Neuer been penalized for the jump. But the ball was behind Higuain, and might have been on the other side of the line.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:52 am

I think the officiating was great in a, "Let the lads have their go" sort of way... It's not amateur golf.

Calls could have been made, but like others have mentioned, the outcome wasn't changed, it was close to a wash, and it was even-handed. This game had a good flow, especially for being such a massive pressure-cooker and basket of butterflies. This made it possible for both teams to leave it all on the field, something every athlete fantasizes about happening in the biggest game.
I doubt any of the players have any legitimate beefs about the officiating, though they're probably all too sore to scrap any more today.

I also applaud FIFA's move toward a less authoritarian and heel-clicking style of referee in general. I saw three yellow cards and didn't want to kick the ref in the balls even once. That's a pleasant change in international football!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 am

klr wrote:
Angie Merkel looks rather happy now, as she congratulates the German squad. I'll bet David Cameron is envious. :hehe:
Merkel, Schmirkel!
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4