Andy Murray is still British ...

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Andy Murray is still British ...

Post by klr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Daedalus wrote:That was a good match, and that last game... I think I need therapy now.
I'm pretty meh about most sports these days, but a tennis match like that can still make me hide behind the sofa, or even get away from the TV altogether for a while. :nervous:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:22 pm

klr wrote:
Daedalus wrote:That was a good match, and that last game... I think I need therapy now.
I'm pretty meh about most sports these days, but a tennis match like that can still make me hide behind the sofa, or even get away from the TV altogether for a while. :nervous:
Same here. A true contest between well matched and skilled opponents, with something real at stake... sign me up!
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." (David Hume)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
"Atque in perpetuum frater, ave atque vale." (Catullus)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?” (Bladerunner)

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Its still not cricket
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:Its still not cricket
I feel like my natural reaction here as an American who has had to suffer through much cricket, would be some pithy line such as... "Yes, and that's what makes it so great!"

I won't though... it seems to early to engender that degree of ill-will from so many British folks. :naughty:
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." (David Hume)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
"Atque in perpetuum frater, ave atque vale." (Catullus)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?” (Bladerunner)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:40 pm

I heard cheers from the sitting room in my mother's house and popped my head in to see someone in white with a tennis racket fist-pumping the air and figured he'd just won some tennis thingy.

"Who's this fella?" I asked?
"Andy Murray." They informed.
"Is that a British flag?" I enquired.
"Yeah." They told me.

"Why are you cheering him again?"
"He's really Scottish."
"Ah!"
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:45 pm

There was a tweet from Frankie Boyle during the match:
If Djokovic wins he's Serbian, if loses he'll be a citizen of the former Yugoslav Republic.
Anyway, on a not unrelated note: I was passing a few pubs yesterday mid-morning, and I heard shouts and cheers from within, and just without. "Ah" I said to myself "that's the deciding test in the Lions - Australia series". But I had no idea if they were all supporting the Lions, or Australia. After all, almost all the Lions team were Welsh.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:Its still not cricket
I feel like my natural reaction here as an American who has had to suffer through much cricket, would be some pithy line such as... "Yes, and that's what makes it so great!"

I won't though... it seems to early to engender that degree of ill-will from so many British folks. :naughty:
I had a feeling you would be trouble........Seize him!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:52 pm

I think we can all agree now that he is 100% English. He just happened to be born just over the border from me in a nearby foreign country ...by accident.

On another note that slimy Salmond character (leader of the Scottish National Party [who want independence]) made sure he was in the same box as the PM I noticed. Great steaming oaf.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Rum wrote:I think we can all agree now that he is 100% English. He just happened to be born just over the border from me in a nearby foreign country ...by accident.

On another note that slimy Salmond character (leader of the Scottish National Party [who want independence]) made sure he was in the same box as the PM I noticed. Great steaming oaf.
Odd. The camera alighted on Cameron a few times, but never on Salmond, that I can remember. But then I may have turned away a few times ... :panic:

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:57 pm

He just wanted to cheer on a great Scotennis player.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:59 pm

klr wrote:
Rum wrote:I think we can all agree now that he is 100% English. He just happened to be born just over the border from me in a nearby foreign country ...by accident.

Odd. The camera alighted on Cameron a few times, but never on Salmond, that I can remember. But then I may have turned away a few times ... :panic:
Well he was there and on camera twice that I noticed, each time greasily sweating from every pore of his chubby haggisly overfed body and each bead of sweat proclaiming Andy to be SCOTTISH, Not British!

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm

You forgot " while domestically abusing his wife, which was a bag of heroin."
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Audley Strange wrote:You forgot " while domestically abusing his wife, which was a bag of heroin."
Happy to assume that is taken for granted by most people. :coffee:

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Rum wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:You forgot " while domestically abusing his wife, which was a bag of heroin."
Happy to assume that is taken for granted by most people. :coffee:
No, some people get really hot under the collar about stereotypes, so I'm lead to believe. I find them amusing.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:45 pm

..happy to take advantage. :biggrin: