American Football

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Ian
Mr Incredible

Re: American Football

Post by Ian » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:11 pm

I just finished watching the Ohio State-Michigan game. And as an Ohio State alum, I damn near had a heart attack at the end.

Michigan got a touchdown to make it 42-41 OSU. But instead of kicking a point after to tie it and go into overtime, they went for a 2-pt. conversion instead. But Ohio State intercepted the pass in the end zone.

Final score: Ohio State 42, Michigan 41.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Ian wrote:I just finished watching the Ohio State-Michigan game. And as an Ohio State alum, I damn near had a heart attack at the end.

Michigan got a touchdown to make it 42-41 OSU. But instead of kicking a point after to tie it and go into overtime, they went for a 2-pt. conversion instead. But Ohio State intercepted the pass in the end zone.

Why did they do that? It's just too risky. :dunno:

I'm watching the Auburn - Alabama game at the moment, interspersed with some other sports. Busy Saturday night ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Truly stupid.

My team lost the last two games I watched live. I think they will fire the coach. He worked well with what he had. A state with one major colege and 2 million pop.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:54 am

klr wrote:
Ian wrote:I just finished watching the Ohio State-Michigan game. And as an Ohio State alum, I damn near had a heart attack at the end.

Why did they do that? It's just too risky. :dunno: ..
Meat-Chicken's coach figured his offense had a better chance gaining the conversion against OSU's defense than defending against the OSU running attack in overtime. He was probably right, but it didn't work out well for him.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 am

Ian wrote:
klr wrote:

Why did they do that? It's just too risky. :dunno: ..
Meat-Chicken's coach figured his offense had a better chance gaining the conversion against OSU's defense than defending against the OSU running attack in overtime. He was probably right, but it didn't work out well for him.
The game was being re-run this morning on TV, so I'm recording the last few minutes. I'll look at it later. :tup:

Meanwhile ... is Auburn the luckiest team alive? Two weeks ago, the miracle hail mary, now this:

God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:16 am

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 am

Jets are stinking up the joint as usual and are out of the playoffs race.

Although i hope that geno smith gets given time to be a consistent QB and isnt sent back to purgatory known as back up.

Because sanchez i don't think is the QB that is going to win us a superbowl tbh.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 am

Whaddya think - is there any chance of Rex Ryan being fired?

I hope not. I like him. And the Jets are probably doing better than they should be, given their current level of talent.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:02 am

Ian wrote:Whaddya think - is there any chance of Rex Ryan being fired?

I hope not. I like him. And the Jets are probably doing better than they should be, given their current level of talent.
I like him too although i think he will be fired unfortunately.

He had 2 decent seasons and then they fell off sharply.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 am

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:05 am

Vikes won one last week, even without Peterson or Gerhart in the lineup.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 pm

The long term trend for American football.... harbinger of the end times for the sport....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/h ... 806d4b468f

You win, soccer moms.... you win. The kids will wear knee pads while riding tricycles and the game of tag will be banned. American football will be gone. "Violent, ground acquisition games like American football are in fact a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war," after all.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Aussie rules football is full of violent clashes and tackling, with no helmets or body armour. Still plenty of kids playing it (actually, our school has produced several dozen AFL players in the time I've been there...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 am

Fuck all this pussy ass simulated combat. Just hand the fuckers clubs and rocks and put them in the arena.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 am

Then flood the arena and release the Killer Whales!!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT