American Football

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: American Football

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 am

pErvin wrote:Actually Gird Iron has a lot of lateral play, way more so than either of the rugby codes. Not as much as AFL, though.
Sure, it has lateral play, but I don't know about the 'way more' there. The structure of the games makes direct comparison difficult.
I didn't watch the video as I've hammered my internet connection enough today, but the frame grab of it reminded me of the dominance of Pacific Islanders in the biggest hits department. They really are a tough "race". As I mentioned earlier, if you want to see carnage, watch Manu Samoa play anyone (other than perhaps the All Blacks) in rubgy union.

edit: that reminded me of one of the biggest hit videos I watched had the Samoan winger (traditionally one of the fastest players on the field) destroying some poor little person. I've forgotten this guy's name (Tu'igamalu, or something like that) but he used to play on the team with his brother. His brother was the prop forward (that's usually the heaviest person on the field) and he was the winger. His brother weighed about 120kgs, and he weighed closer to 125kg... :o
edit: found him - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alesana_Tuilagi. His bro must have bulked up eventually, as wiki has him listed at 128kg. There's also three other brothers who play or have played for Samoa.
:tup: One of my PE teachers from school -- yes, I can just about remember that far back -- used to say that any tackle you could walk away from was a good tackle. It was a different time then of course, and he was a cunt. Sometimes he'd just snatch the ball up and run with it, straight at the 12-14 year olds who were trying to get out of his way (no doubt imagining he was scoring a try against the All Blacks in Wellington). Then again, PE teachers aren't the brightest lights in the staff room, and they all have emotional issues anyway.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 pm

That's reminded me of a funny moment on tv years ago. I think it was on one of the morning shows and they had Steve Irwin there (the "crocodile hunter") and they were discussing wrestling crocodiles. Then as a stunt they bring out Shane Webke, who was the prop forward for Australia in rugby league, and ask Steve if he reckons he could stop him. So Webke goes back no more than about 2 or 3 metres and runs gently at Irwin. Irwin tackles him down quite well. Then Webke asks him if he wants to try again. From the same close distance and at the same speed Webke runs at him again, but this time as Irwin tackles him Webke accelerates and puts his full weight into it. And Irwin just bounced off like a bowling pin. And the sound that exploded out of Irwin's lungs as they were compressed from Webke impacting him was incredible. I felt sorry for him. He must have been close to getting knocked out. :D
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:53 pm

JimC wrote:
Forty Two wrote:I was a fan of the Collingswood Magpies, for some unknown reason
They are the team every other fan hates.
I refuse to believe that Forty Two would take an unpopular minority position!

:hehe:
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Knowing 42 he wouldn't probably wouldn't even notice..
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
JimC wrote:
Forty Two wrote:I was a fan of the Collingswood Magpies, for some unknown reason
They are the team every other fan hates.
I refuse to believe that Forty Two would take an unpopular minority position!

:hehe:
I would try to make it home from school in time for the games which were shown late afternoon, when school let out. I don't know why I rooted for the Magpies. They always seemed to be playing Carlton, or so I seem to recall. I didn't like Carlton, for some reason. They and their fans just seemed so smug.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:04 pm

How about this player. He has played for France but is of Samoan extraction:

Full name Uini Atonio
Date of birth 26 March 1990 (age 27)
Place of birth Timaru, Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Height 1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)[1]
Weight 155 kg (24 st 6 lb; 342 lb)[1]
School Wesley College, Auckland

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:08 pm

pErvin wrote:Knowing 42 he wouldn't probably wouldn't even notice..
It was one the first things I was told when I arrived in Queensland; everybody hates Collingswood.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:How about this player. He has played for France but is of Samoan extraction:

Full name Uini Atonio
Date of birth 26 March 1990 (age 27)
Place of birth Timaru, Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Height 1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)[1]
Weight 155 kg (24 st 6 lb; 342 lb)[1]
School Wesley College, Auckland

He makes Will Skelton, the Aussie New Zealander Samoan number 8 look small (at least in the weight department). He only manages a paltry 145kg. But he's 203cm (6'8").

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
It was one the first things I was told when I arrived in Queensland; everybody hates Collingswood.
:lol:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Forty Two wrote:I don't know why I rooted for the Magpies. They always seemed to be playing Carlton, or so I seem to recall. I didn't like Carlton, for some reason.
The best ever, most enthralling and exciting grand final was the one between Collingwood and Carlton in 1970. I switched the TV on near the end of the first quarter. Carlton was trailing horribly. I think it was by 29 points when the first quarter whistle blew. Naturally I went for the underdog. Not much improvement in the second quarter. Now, looking up the record - thank you very much, internet - Carlton still trailed badly, but not quite as hopelessly as before: 77:94. Halfway through the fourth all hell broke loose. Carlton just kept on scoring. 120,000 spectators roared non-stop from there to the end. Five minutes before the final whistle Carlton nudged ahead, and the final score was 111:101 with Collingwood one goal and one behind adrift. I of course knew nothing about the intricacies of the game, (and still don't) but this one had me at the edge of my seat and YELLING. GO, CARLTON!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:53 pm

The most memorable Collingwood game I remember was the 1990 Grand Final against Essendon. I was an Essendon supporter, and Collingwood were trying to break their Grand Final hoodoo having not one won for the last 187 odd years. Collingwood ended up winning, but the most memorable thing for me was watching my favourite Essendon player - Terry Daniher, punch the absolute fuck out of Gavin Brown, who was a rather large fuckhead.

edit: just found the video of it. :awesome: Will post after reliving the beautiful moment...

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Most banana benders don't give a fuck about AFL. They hate everything New South Wales, though, come State of Origin time. I think QLD won 11 of the last 12 series, and boy, do they love to rub it in. Can't blame them. It's their only achievement since their Premier, Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen, won the most corrupt state government stakes about two furlongs ahead of Sir Robert Askin's New South Wales government in 1987.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 pm

While pErvin is fast forwarding the tape to watch his grainy recording of the punch-up, you can take a shortcut to it here:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:25 pm

That was the one I watched. The footage was so compressed that I didn't bother posting it. I did love the bit right at the very end.. :hehe:

Watching the all-in reminded me of another Grand Final (I think it was) - Essendon vs Hawthorn, and quarter-time Dermot Brereton charged through the Essendon huddle. He was a crazy fucker. I'm pretty sure there was some serious biff in that game too.

Edit, it was 1989 R18. I had nearly forgotten about that hairjob he had.. :lol:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 pm

"Runs threw?

Yabbut American footballers hit harder. It's scientifically proven, mate.