English butthurt

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Re: English butthurt

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Rum wrote:The population of the USA? 230 million? The UK? 56 million. Given we currently have half the medals the USA does by that measure we are beating them!
US 18 gold -- UK 6 gold.
Well, it's 8 now. Rum was just counting the ones we hadn't won yet :cheer:
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Rum wrote:The population of the USA? 230 million? The UK? 56 million. Given we currently have half the medals the USA does by that measure we are beating them!
US 18 gold -- UK 6 gold.
Rum wrote:
I'm stopping this however. It was a response to Red's silly OP and I am not remotely nationalist or patriotic.
Just another form of Brit smugness.... we're all so above this whole "nation" thing and the whole idea of "different countries" ... that sort of thing is for the unwashed... Image
You got the wrong number of TOTAL medals.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:36 pm

LOL - nice goal post shifting, man...

Australia has 14 TOTAL medals, to the UK's 20, but you preferred to slam them for their 1 gold vs. UK's 6. By your population analysis. Australia is kicking the UK's ass, because their population is what? 22,000,000? Les than half of the UK.

So, when the comparison is unfavorable -- US 18 gold to UK 6, you change it up and talk about total medals.

Nice.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeah but we have loads more golds than them.

I'll make up the rules if you don't mind!

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 pm

This is fucking hilarious "We got more golds than you! Nyah!" Seriously who gives a fuck what stranger from what bit of mud wins what bit of metal. Appreciate the talent, because none of you did fuck all but watch some sport (unless you entered and won in which case Well Done!)
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Audley Strange wrote:This is fucking hilarious "We got more golds than you! Nyah!" Seriously who gives a fuck what stranger from what bit of mud wins what bit of metal. Appreciate the talent, because none of you did fuck all but watch some sport (unless you entered and won in which case Well Done!)

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks CES I ran out of toilet paper, that was just the thing I needed.

:{D
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Audley Strange wrote:Thanks CES I ran out of toilet paper, that was just the thing I needed.

If we can't argue about irrelevancies with which we have absolutely nothing to do, what can we argue about? :prof:

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Irrelevances that we've been caught up in? Oh shit, we've done that for the last two weeks. Fuck that with a stuffed badger.

I'll leave you to it...

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:Thanks CES I ran out of toilet paper, that was just the thing I needed.

If we can't argue about irrelevancies with which we have absolutely nothing to do, what can we argue about? :prof:
That's all we ever do here isn't it? :lol:

..this thread has gone very quiet. I wonder why.. Red? :coffee:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:09 pm

I am finding it hard to suppress my feelings of what can really only be described as tribalism after the 90 minutes I just watched on the BBC Olympic coverage. Amazing performances!

John_fi_Skye
About me: I'm a sentimental old git. I'm a mawkish old bastard.

Post by John_fi_Skye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:21 pm

So, it's the GB Olympics, is it? That'll be why - in introducing the GB football team's penalty shoot-out tonight, Gary Lineker says, "You never know - WE might win one."

My reaction: "Come on, Korea!"

And then, after South Korea won, Lineker compounds the offence by saying, "Some things never change, do they?"

And folk sometimes wonder why we dislike the English media. And as my grandad used to say folk sometimes ask me why I take strong drink. Is there a smiley that says, "Spits!"?
Pray, do not mock me: I am a very foolish fond old man; And, to deal plainly, I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

Blah blah blah blah blah!

Memo to self: no Lir chocolates.

Life is glorious.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 pm

John_fi_Skye wrote:So, it's the GB Olympics, is it? That'll be why - in introducing the GB football team's penalty shoot-out tonight, Gary Lineker says, "You never know - WE might win one."

And then, after South Korea won, Lineker compounds the offence by saying, "Some things never change, do they?"

And folk sometimes wonder why we dislike the English media. And as my grandad used to say folk sometimes ask me why I take strong drink. Is there a smiley that says, "Spits!"?
:hehe:

Silly man.

John_fi_Skye
About me: I'm a sentimental old git. I'm a mawkish old bastard.

Post by John_fi_Skye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Rum wrote:
John_fi_Skye wrote:So, it's the GB Olympics, is it? That'll be why - in introducing the GB football team's penalty shoot-out tonight, Gary Lineker says, "You never know - WE might win one."

:hehe:

Silly man.
Rum, you encourage me to think that the only good Englishman might not be a dead one. :D
Pray, do not mock me: I am a very foolish fond old man; And, to deal plainly, I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

Blah blah blah blah blah!

Memo to self: no Lir chocolates.

Life is glorious.