Players Sue the NFL

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Players Sue the NFL

Post by maiforpeace » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm

NFL players unite in lawsuit against league over head injuries

Are they justified? Do you think they should win this lawsuit?

Discuss.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Players Sue the NFL

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Considering the injury probably first began to present during high school...
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:32 pm

It is difficult to say.

The mere fact that players have injuries, including concussive brain injuries, doesn't mean the NFL is or should be liable.

However, among the allegations in the lawsuit are that the NFL took affirmative steps to hide the problem.

They're also claiming basically negligence and failure to warn players.

Frankly, people are allowed to engage in activities that are dangerous, and I think they should be allowed. I mean, are skydiving clubs and groups responsible when the parachutes don't open? Players choose to play football. It's up to them. However, if the NFL "hid" the problem, then that seems to me to be characteristically different.

But, I mean, the NFL has been taking steps to make people safer. I mean, we're told all the time by our Euro brethren that American football players are pussies because of all the pads and helmets they wear. They once had no facemasks, and they once had no helmets at all. So, I mean, everyone knows the game is dangerous, and players are compensated pretty fairly, and they have health insurance and all sorts of other insurances like disability and all that.

I am troubled by the allegations in the suit about how the NFL "glorified violence" and all that. So what? We allow UFC cage match mixed martial arts fights on t.v. where two men get in the arena and kick the living shit out of each other until one is either unconscious or too bloodied to continue. If willing participants participate in a violent activity, then that's what they choose to do.

So -- those are my general ruminations. I haven't read the Complaint yet. If someone can link to it, that would be a good start so we know exactly what the players are alleging.

maiforpeace

Post by maiforpeace » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:I haven't read the Complaint yet. If someone can link to it, that would be a good start so we know exactly what the players are alleging.
I couldn't find anything yet...all I found was an anti-trust suit. I expect it will be released soon, this is all over the national news right now.

I have mixed feelings about it, but, in general I have to agree with you. It's your career, you go into it eyes open, or closed. So, if the NFL did full disclosure about the head injuries and they weren't, as the suit alleges, downplaying them, I have to wonder, would those players have listened anyways, in the face of the giant salaries offered and glory of being an NFL star?

And, now that this is well documented, that these injuries can lead to A/D and other head injury related diseases later on, will there be less interest in becoming a football star? I doubt it.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Are the players suggesting that the NFL had medical advice/research results available to it that were not publicly available? If so, it seems a little odd to me.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Claiming brain damage from football could be hard to prove :ask:
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Claiming brain damage from football could be hard to prove :ask:
Prove conclusively, yes. But, the burden of proof in a civil case is "probably." So, get a bunch of highly paid experts on the stand, and a bunch of highly sympathetic injured persons to pull at the jurors' heart strings, and the NFL is at risk. So, you can bet from both a legal and a PR standpoint, the odds are this matter will be resolved with a settlement and the NFL setting up a foundation of sorts to pay for treatments and care, and to invest $ in safety and other things, and there will be rule changes to try to minimize concussions.

maiforpeace

Post by maiforpeace » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Kind of related, and a good move in my opinion.

Pop Warner to limit practice contact

kiki5711
Forever with Ekwok

Post by kiki5711 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:50 pm

It didn't take me reading a medical statistic report to know these kinds of sports can leave long life injuries. It's not like they didn't know that there's a good chance they'll get physically damaged. It's just common sense. Now they say they weren't warned???? Like duhhhh! Have they not thought about it themselves?

Answer is NO. and why, because it pays good.