Golf - Men and Women on the Course

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Re: Golf - Men and Women on the Course

Post by hadespussercats » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:You know, I sort of hate golf, in terms of it feeling like a sport of the entitled, and the most un-green use of green space I can think of.
Actually, it a very green use of green space. It's all green. Grasses, trees, other plants, etc. All kept free of structures, with the exception of one clubhouse building and a few service buildings.
Lawns use a lot of water, fuels for maintenance machines. Introduced species of plants, woodlands and wetlands cleared, animal habitats displaced.

And those gophers take a lot of dynamite.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

hadespussercats wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:You know, I sort of hate golf, in terms of it feeling like a sport of the entitled, and the most un-green use of green space I can think of.
Actually, it a very green use of green space. It's all green. Grasses, trees, other plants, etc. All kept free of structures, with the exception of one clubhouse building and a few service buildings.
Lawns use a lot of water, fuels for maintenance machines. Introduced species of plants, woodlands and wetlands cleared, animal habitats displaced.
very often they preserve woodlands and wetlands, because they are situated in or near such lands, which must be preserved in exchange for the golf course being there, and the golf maintenance crew husbands the area.

Yes, they use a lot of water. But, they're certainly greener than a condominium complex.
hadespussercats wrote:
I made my own hybrid grass. It's a mix between Kentucky Featherbed Bent, and Southern California Sensamilla.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
very often they preserve woodlands and wetlands, because they are situated in or near such lands, which must be preserved in exchange for the golf course being there, and the golf maintenance crew husbands the area.

Yes, they use a lot of water. But, they're certainly greener than a condominium complex.
... namely, the condominium complex built right next to the golf course.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:

hadespussercats wrote:
I made my own hybrid grass. It's a mix between Kentucky Featherbed Bent, and Southern California Sensamilla.
You might be wrong about that. I don't have the time to hunt sources now. If I can, I'll come back...
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm

hadespussercats wrote:
You might be wrong about that. I don't have the time to hunt sources now. If I can, I'll come back...
I probably am by some measure. The determinations of what is "green" and "not green" is quite often highly questionable science, much like the carbon credit fraud, err...I mean..."industry."

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:33 pm

klr wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
hadespussercats wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:

... namely, the condominium complex built right next to the golf course.
...shhh..... don't mention that....lol :leave:

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:34 pm

The average golf course is as sterile as an argument between CES and Seth.

I slay me, I really do.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:The average golf course is as sterile as an argument between CES and Seth.

I slay me, I really do.

Huxley!!!! :lay:

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:54 pm

This thread really belongs in games.

Golf isn't a real sport as far as I'm concerned...most of the people I see walking the greens are loafing along at a leisurely pace, or they are cruising around on golf carts. The fancy pants golfers don't even carry their own golf clubs around. They don't come close to marching briskly enough at any pace fast enough to have any decent aerobic value. The rest of it is skill, not any amount of strength or physical prowess. And what use is all that beautiful landscape if mostly you get to look at it, and only well to do people get to actually walk on it and play on it?

Comparing men and women on the golf course, what's interesting about that? At least compare them to each other at something more interesting like tennis.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 am

maiforpeace wrote:This thread really belongs in games.

Golf isn't a real sport as far as I'm concerned...most of the people I see walking the greens are loafing along at a leisurely pace, or they are cruising around on golf carts. The fancy pants golfers don't even carry their own golf clubs around. They don't come close to marching briskly enough at any pace fast enough to have any decent aerobic value. The rest of it is skill, not any amount of strength or physical prowess. And what use is all that beautiful landscape if mostly you get to look at it, and only well to do people get to actually walk on it and play on it?

Comparing men and women on the golf course, what's interesting about that? At least compare them to each other at something more interesting like tennis.
On average, people don't run around that much either during a game of (say) baseball or American Football.

Yes, they don't carry their own clubs around, because that would require them to be a beast of burden above everything else, which would kind of defeat the purpose. In all kinds of other sports - including many team sports - the competitors don't have to carry everything they need with them either. Someone else goes and gets it for them.

Sport doesn't have to be just about brute strength and physical prowess. Skill, dexterity, judgement, tactical awareness, creativity, keeping calm under pressure ... all of those things matter as well, and certainly so in championship golf. Teamwork as well where that applies. If it were just about raw physical attributes, sport would just be plain boring IMHO.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 am

I watched a nature documentary on Swedish tv. Birds and mammals of Sweden. A good selection, never even seen bu the golfers.

Othet than that, waste of wildlife habitat.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:19 am

That is, the whole documentary was at the golf course.