8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Coito ergo sum

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Coito ergo sum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:35 pm

An FA statement said: "It is alleged that Suarez used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15764900

Big fucking deal. They're big boys. Get over it.

Do we even know what he actually said? Was it "negrito?"
“It’s about questions of translation or context,” said Mark Sawyer, director of the Center for the Study of Race, Ethnicity and Politics at the University of California Los Angeles.
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/11/17 ... use-storm/ That is code for "if we like you, you can say what you want - if we don't like you, you'll get suspended."
The word’s literal translation is “little black man.” But generally, negrito is not considered a racial slur in Latin America,
Sawyer said. In fact, it frequently has a positive meaning.
“It’s often a term of endearment,” he said.
But what the word means also depends on where — and how — it’s said.
“In Puerto Rico, it has one meaning. In Cuba it has a slightly different connotation and in the Dominican Republic it has a slightly different connotation,” said Jorge Chinea, director of the Center for Chicano-Boricua Studies at Wayne State University in Detroit.
LOL -- in order to determine if what he said was permissible or not, we have to agonize and interpret and really think about it. If Mick Jagger sings about a "negrita" -- that's o.k. because we know he meant it positively, and when this other guy uses "negrito" - well, we know he was being racist...even though he denies saying it and nobody accept the alleged "victim" says they heard it....

Here is a good solution: These are grown men. Evra should deal with Suarez directly and they should work it out. If a referee hears one of them getting out of hand on the field, then boot that person from the game. Done.

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Liverpool's latest race row Pepe Reina in Africa:

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/local_n ... 14320.html

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah, even the Mancs were rubbishing that one. Every no-mark anti-racism campaigner is trying to make a name for himself off the back of absolutely nothing at the moment.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Patrice Evra shows his true colours in a public arena by kicking a supporter in the head before a match. An inevitable ban that will be measured in months rather than matches, and hopefully a criminal conviction too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41853841

Suarez exonerated. Strontium Dog right again. Happy, joyous day.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 pm

:zombie:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Is this good or bad? I don't follow teh fussball.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 pm

It's karma :awesome:

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:07 pm

How the turn tables.

In "you couldn't make it up" territory, United have formally stated on the record that the word has a different connotation in South America and is meant affectionately(!)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... agram-post
Edinson Cavani could face three-game ban as FA investigates social media post
  • FA to look into Instagram story post which uses ‘negrito’ term
  • Cavani will face minimum three-game ban if found guilty

Edinson Cavani, the Manchester United striker, could face a three-game ban if the Football Association deems that he used discriminatory or racist language in an Instagram story shared from his account on Sunday evening.

The FA has confirmed it is investigating the post, which was published shortly after United’s 3-2 win against Southampton, in which Cavani scored two goals after coming on as a half-time substitute.

In the post – which was later deleted – the words “gracias negrito!” are used to thank a follower congratulating Cavani on his performance in the match at St Mary’s.

Social media postings are covered by FA Rule E3, and if a comment is deemed to include a reference to a person’s ethnic origin, colour, race or nationality, then that will be regarded as a potential aggravating factor in any punishment. The rules also make it clear that the owners of social media accounts are responsible for any content posted from their account, whether by themselves or by a third party.

Additionally, deleting an inappropriate post does not necessarily prevent a sanction from being imposed. Last year, Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva was banned for one match after posting and then deleting a tweet comparing his teammate Benjamin Mendy to the cartoon figure on a brand of Spanish chocolate.

If the FA decides to pursue the case it will write to Cavani in the next few days asking for his written observations. Any charge must be issued by next Monday.

The word in question – “negrito” – brings back into light the infamous row that took place between Cavani’s friend and Uruguay teammate Luis Suárez and Patrice Evra during a game between Liverpool and Manchester United in 2011. It was the word Suárez was believed to have said to Evra; the striker later admitted he said “negro” but did so in a friendly manner that is common in Uruguay. However, the FA’s disciplinary panel rejected this explanation, deeming Suárez had used the word in a derogatory manner and that while he is not a racist, he had been racially abusive to Evra. Suárez was subsequently fined £40,000 and banned for eight matches.

At the start of this season, the FA issued fresh guidelines on racist language and behaviour on social media, with offences carrying a minimum ban of three matches. Manchester United were not available for comment on Sunday night.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:09 pm

A zombie!