8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
User avatar
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
Posts: 32964
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm
About me: The money was just resting in my account.
Location: Airstrip Two
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by klr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 am

HomerJay wrote:Image
Adeyemi, centre, is restrained by Dirk Kuyt, left and match referee after receiving a tirade of racial abuse from the Anfield crowd
Liverpool have been thrust into another race hate controversy, after fans were accused of racially abusing Oldham player Tom Adeyemi.

Police launched an immediate investigation into the incident, which occurred towards the end of the FA Cup tie, when the young full-back turned to confront the supporter after becoming visibly upset at comments hurled from the terraces.

Immediately following the game, the 20-year-old Norwich-born defender gave a statement to police, in which it is understood he claimed to have been the subject of racist comments.

Adeyemi was visibly upset, and seemed to be in tears. Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard moved across to the Kop End of the ground where the incident occurred, and comforted him.

Eyewitnesses saw two fans wearing Luis Suarez t-shirts, and heard one of them clearly shout “You f***ing black b***ard”.

Police immediately moved in to restrain the two suspects, and later confirmed a formal investigation.
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Li ... 49913.html
Ah. I watched the last 30 minutes of that game, and I wondered what on earth had upset him. I had my suspicions it might be something like this. Talk about the wrong time and place to engage in racist taunts. Between the eyewitness testimony (presumably other Liverpool fans), video footage and maybe season seat numbers, I hope this pair get what's coming to them.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:27 am

HomerJay wrote:Adeyemi, centre, is restrained by Dirk Kuyt, left and match referee after receiving a tirade of racial abuse from the Anfield crowd
Why wait for the facts, eh. Let's just print allegations as if they're the truth.
klr wrote:Ah. I watched the last 30 minutes of that game, and I wondered what on earth had upset him. I had my suspicions it might be something like this. Talk about the wrong time and place to engage in racist taunts. Between the eyewitness testimony (presumably other Liverpool fans), video footage and maybe season seat numbers, I hope this pair get what's coming to them.
Merseyside Police confirm no arrests for any race-related incident this evening.

Fortunately we have lots of eyewitness testimony. Police, photographers, fans, stewards. All of them confirm no racial abuse.

At present it seems like the player misheard "Manc bastard" as "black bastard".

I certainly do hope you and HomerJay get what's coming to you.
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
Posts: 32964
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm
About me: The money was just resting in my account.
Location: Airstrip Two
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by klr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
HomerJay wrote:Adeyemi, centre, is restrained by Dirk Kuyt, left and match referee after receiving a tirade of racial abuse from the Anfield crowd
Why wait for the facts, eh. Let's just print allegations as if they're the truth.
klr wrote:Ah. I watched the last 30 minutes of that game, and I wondered what on earth had upset him. I had my suspicions it might be something like this. Talk about the wrong time and place to engage in racist taunts. Between the eyewitness testimony (presumably other Liverpool fans), video footage and maybe season seat numbers, I hope this pair get what's coming to them.
Merseyside Police confirm no arrests for any race-related incident this evening.

Fortunately we have lots of eyewitness testimony. Police, photographers, fans, stewards. All of them confirm no racial abuse.

At present it seems like the player misheard "Manc bastard" as "black bastard".

I certainly do hope you and HomerJay get what's coming to you.
What would that be then? Are you threatening us? Wishing ill-fortune on us? We called what we saw at the time and what was reported immediately afterwards. :yawn:

Jesus, just about anything seems to get a histrionic reaction from you. Calm down and get a life - and a sense of perspective. :roll:

Incidentally, the "fan" could still get banned by Liverpool, which given the poisonous Liverpool v. Manchester (esp. Utd.) rivalry would send a clear signal IMHO. Some of my brothers - Liverpool fans - have been at Liverpool - Man. Utd. games, and been distinctly unimpressed by the behaviour from supporters of both clubs.

EDIT: Adeyemi is actually from Norwich, and as well as playing for Norwich City also played for Bradford before joining Oldham on loan at the start of this season. Guess what city is missing from that resumé?

Just because police don't arrest anyone in the immediate aftermath of an incident/reporting of same, does not mean that they won't do so at some point in the future. It is you who are prejudging the case by stating that everyone confirms there was no racial abuse. How can that be? The investigating isn't over yet. So "watch this space".
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:41 pm

klr wrote:Jesus, just about anything seems to get a histrionic reaction from you. Calm down and get a life - and a sense of perspective. :roll:
Fuck off. You don't get to throw false accusations at Liverpool fans willy nilly.

Stop the blood libels and you'll get a nicer reaction.
klr wrote:EDIT: Adeyemi is actually from Norwich, and as well as playing for Norwich City also played for Bradford before joining Oldham on loan at the start of this season. Guess what city is missing from that resumé?
He plays for Oldham. Oldham is in Manchester. Or are you going to deny that simple fact too?
klr wrote:It is you who are prejudging the case by stating that everyone confirms there was no racial abuse.
You're the one prejudging it by stating it as a fact that there was racial abuse.
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
HomerJay
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by HomerJay » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I certainly do hope you and HomerJay get what's coming to you.
That's racist.

User avatar
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
Posts: 32964
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm
About me: The money was just resting in my account.
Location: Airstrip Two
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by klr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:Jesus, just about anything seems to get a histrionic reaction from you. Calm down and get a life - and a sense of perspective. :roll:
Fuck off. You don't get to throw false accusations at Liverpool fans willy nilly.
Duly reported, along with references to a string of earlier infractions which I've chosen to ignore up until now.
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:EDIT: Adeyemi is actually from Norwich, and as well as playing for Norwich City also played for Bradford before joining Oldham on loan at the start of this season. Guess what city is missing from that resumé?
He plays for Oldham. Oldham is in Manchester. Or are you going to deny that simple fact too?
No, and in fact I was wondering if you were going to grasp at that particular straw. So, do some Liverpool fans habitually shout at any and all players from teams in the greater Manchester area? Which would be infantile in the extreme IMHO. Are you asking for a fool's pardon on their part? Or do they just like to single out certain players for reasons best known to themselves?.

Oh, and I've just now noticed this gem from earlier in the thread:
Strontium Dog wrote: ...
You started any invective with snide comments about my football club.

Fucking sick of people attacking me vicariously and feigning ignorance.
...
Horse manure. I didn't even know that you were a Liverpool fan when I started the thread. This constitutes paranoid behaviour on your part, and a completely baseless attack by you on my character and motives. Also included in my report of the above post.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm

klr wrote:Duly reported, along with references to a string of earlier infractions which I've chosen to ignore up until now.
Don't even think about taking the moral high ground in this thread. You don't get to label peole as racists on the basis of no evidence then complain when they take offence. And you don't get to say things like this about me:
klr wrote:Calm down and get a life
And try to make out that you're being personally attacked for no reason.
klr wrote:No, and in fact I was wondering if you were going to grasp at that particular straw.
It's not a straw, it's a fact.
klr wrote:So, do some Liverpool fans habitually shout at any and all players from teams in the greater Manchester area? Which would be infantile in the extreme IMHO. Are you asking for a fool's pardon on their part? Or do they just like to single out certain players for reasons best known to themselves?
Have you ever been to a football match? Genuine question, because you appear utterly clueless about fans and the things they sing.

Yes, it would absolutely be normal for Manchester clubs to get abuse based on the fact that they are from Manchester.

Although having actually been at the game in question, I recall the Oldham fans started things off in that direction by singing "Sign On" to the tune of You'll Never Walk Alone.
klr wrote:Horse manure. I didn't even know that you were a Liverpool fan when I started the thread. This constitutes paranoid behaviour on your part, and a completely baseless attack by you on my character and motives. Also included in my report of the above post.
Your character and motives are clear for all to see. To label innocent people as racists.
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
Posts: 32964
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm
About me: The money was just resting in my account.
Location: Airstrip Two
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by klr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:Duly reported, along with references to a string of earlier infractions which I've chosen to ignore up until now.
Don't even think about taking the moral high ground in this thread. You don't get to label peole as racists on the basis of no evidence then complain when they take offence. And you don't get to say things like this about me:
klr wrote:Calm down and get a life
And try to make out that you're being personally attacked for no reason.
I posted that after a string of over-the-top comments by you, none of which were in the least justified. The only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that your devotion to your beloved football club is such that it is blinding you to the facts, and to reasoned discourse. It's also why I don't knowingly engage in discussions with partisan fans who might not share my viewpoint on a particular matter (or sometimes even if they do). Which is relevant to the exchange above, and what follows below.
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:No, and in fact I was wondering if you were going to grasp at that particular straw.
It's not a straw, it's a fact.
klr wrote:So, do some Liverpool fans habitually shout at any and all players from teams in the greater Manchester area? Which would be infantile in the extreme IMHO. Are you asking for a fool's pardon on their part? Or do they just like to single out certain players for reasons best known to themselves?
Have you ever been to a football match? Genuine question, because you appear utterly clueless about fans and the things they sing.
Yes, but that doesn't mean that I have to either "understand" or "accept" such behaviour from others. And I don't, which is one of the reasons why I'm not inclined to attend sporting events with such tribal overtones (amongst supporters) anymore.

An anecdote: Up until a few years ago, some supporters of the Irish national team were in the habit of habitually booing players from other countries, purely because said players just happened to play their club football for Glasgow Rangers. Until UEFA (or FIFA, or both) warned that punishment would follow if the booing didn't stop. Stop it did, but only on foot of the threat. And it was infantile behaviour in my book. That's an indicator of where I stand on these matters.
Strontium Dog wrote: Yes, it would absolutely be normal for Manchester clubs to get abuse based on the fact that they are from Manchester.

Although having actually been at the game in question, I recall the Oldham fans started things off in that direction by singing "Sign On" to the tune of You'll Never Walk Alone.
Then a plague on both their houses I say. But in this case, the excuse of "they started it" does not excuse the singling out of players from the opposing team for any form of personal abuse. Got that? If the opposing fans are taunting you, then any response that you should choose to make should only ever be targeted at them, although I would much prefer it if responses were in the form of more support for your own side.

So a plague on soccer fans generally for their behaviour. I've never seen that sort of taunting* at rugby matches, no matter how intense the rivalry between the sides, no matter how big the stakes, no matter how big the crowd.

*Let alone the violence that can still sometimes happen at or around soccer matches.
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:Horse manure. I didn't even know that you were a Liverpool fan when I started the thread. This constitutes paranoid behaviour on your part, and a completely baseless attack by you on my character and motives. Also included in my report of the above post.
Your character and motives are clear for all to see. To label innocent people as racists.
Let me make this clear: Are you accusing me of lying? As in I did know you were a Liverpool fan - and more so, trying to deliberately bate you over it? Because if you are, you are repeating the earlier accusation, and digging yourself an even deeper hole.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:


User avatar
John_fi_Skye
Posts: 6099
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:02 pm
About me: I'm a sentimental old git. I'm a mawkish old bastard.
Location: Er....Skye.
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by John_fi_Skye » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Were some people in a football crowd shouting abuse at players of the opposing team?

Well, fuck me. Never heard of that before.
Pray, do not mock me: I am a very foolish fond old man; And, to deal plainly, I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

Blah blah blah blah blah!

Memo to self: no Lir chocolates.

Life is glorious.

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:49 pm

klr wrote:I posted that after a string of over-the-top comments by you, none of which were in the least justified.
Oh, you felt justified in insulting me, that's okay then :roll:
klr wrote:The only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that your devotion to your beloved football club is such that it is blinding you to the facts, and to reasoned discourse.
Pardon me?

You're the one damning Suarez as a racist on the basis of zero proof other than Evra's word.
You're the one damning Liverpool fans as racists on the basis of absolutely nothing in the way of facts.

I'm the only one engaging in reasoned discourse here. It's clear that your contempt for "football tribalism" is blinding you to reasoned discussion.
klr wrote:But in this case, the excuse of "they started it" does not excuse the singling out of players from the opposing team for any form of personal abuse. Got that?
So does this mean you condemn all the fans who target Luis Suarez then? Perhaps you might want to put his behaviour in that context? (and pigs might fly)
klr wrote:I've never seen that sort of taunting* at rugby matches, no matter how intense the rivalry between the sides, no matter how big the stakes, no matter how big the crowd.
Rugby is shit, I'm not surprised it fails to arouse the same kind of passion.
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
Magicziggy
Posts: 4847
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:56 am
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Magicziggy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:43 am

1-1 at half-time then...

I agree with the notion that football is the most tribal of all sports. I can't explain why though.
It has long caused men to do things in the name of their team which would perhaps be out of their normal character. Perhaps...

And it is a male thing ... I think

User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by FBM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 am

This is a general reminder from staff for everyone to remember to play nice according to the rules that you signed off on in order to become a member. By all means, show your support for your teams and players, but please don't do so by insulting other Ratz. Thanks.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

User avatar
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
Posts: 13416
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 am
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Robert_S » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 am

FBM wrote:This is a general reminder from staff for everyone to remember to play nice according to the rules that you signed off on in order to become a member. By all means, show your support for your teams and players, but please don't do so by insulting other Ratz. Thanks.
What if our teams have racist mascots? Are we still supposed to support them? :what:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by FBM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:32 am

You're a Washington Redskins/Atlanta Braves fan?
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests