woohoooo! c'mon you roos!!!

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

woohoooo! c'mon you roos!!!

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:46 am

Australia has qualified for the 2010 football world cup in South Africa. :woot: :toot: Not as dramatic as last time but the first time in our history that we have qualified for two world cups in a row. :biggrin:

Socceroos earn their ticket to Africa

By Sport Online's Raman Goraya

Posted 2 hours 25 minutes ago
Updated 2 hours 0 minutes ago

Socceroos captain Lucas Neill says Australia deserves to be one of the first countries to qualify for next year's World Cup after its Asian campaign came to a successful end in Doha early this morning.

Australia's scoreless draw against Qatar handed the Socceroos the point they needed to book their spot for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, with two qualifying games still remaining.

While the path was almost anticlimactic compared to the drama of the penalty shoot-out against Uruguay in 2005, the back-to-back qualification is no less of an achievement.

"Today was all about how much we wanted to get to South Africa," Neill said.

"We proved that over all the qualifying games and we deserve to be here, we deserve to be one of the first teams in the World Cup."

"It's unbelievable, it's a boyhood dream, second time in a row now Australia is going to the World Cup," he said.

"It's all about us, it's all about the nation creating some more memories like we did in the last one. I can't wait, it's going to be fantastic."

"The green and gold army is there."

Clean sheet

The Socceroos did not concede a single goal in the second group stage and experienced goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, a hero on that fateful night in Sydney, says that led the way to qualification.

"It hasn't sunk it, it is quite emotional," he said.

"From up the front to all the way at the back. We've worked extremely hard. Our foundations have been really solid. Our defence has put us in an unbelievable position.

"For anyone that's doubted us, criticised us for the way in which we played, I think they're a bit naive and a bit greedy.

"All I can say is we're at the World Cup again and we've got 12 months to prepare which is an ideal situation to be in."

Australia endured a period of Qatari pressure in the opening quarter of the match before dominating much of the contest.

Special times

Harry Kewell was in fantastic form down the right side while Tim Cahill was denied an audacious bicycle kick goal by the woodwork.

"Their keeper was big and strong tonight. The chances were there, we didn't put them away but a point was enough," Kewell said.

Kewell, who has been part of the Socceroos' World Cup mission since the gutting play-off elimination by Iran in 1997, said it was time to enjoy the success.

"There was obviously a lot of pressure on us from day one. It's been an up-hill battle but we've survived it," he said.

"There has been a lot of people saying we wouldn't do it, but we proved them wrong and I'm proud of all of the team.

"These times are special and you've got to revel in that because you don't get too many opportunities to qualify for a World Cup."

Kewell said the Socceroos will still be playing to win against both Bahrain and Japan in preparation for South Africa as well as saying thank you to the Australian fans.

"This is the build up for the World Cup, you don't want to be playing bad, you want to be on a good roll, you want to be high in confidence," he said.

The Socceroos take on Bahrain on June 10 at Sydney's Olympic stadium and Japan on June 17 at the MCG.

Japan also qualified with a 1-0 win over Uzbekistan in Tashkent, while South Korea confirmed its spot with a 2-0 victory over UAE.

We're all going on an African holiday an african holiday an african holiday!. :D
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: woohoooo! c'mon you roos!!!

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:46 am

Well, I'm glad we're in, but there is something a little weird about a sport where a 0 - 0 draw produces such excitement...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:53 am

JimC wrote:Well, I'm glad we're in, but there is something a little weird about a sport where a 0 - 0 draw produces such excitement...
It's football you get used of it. :biggrin:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:40 am

redunderthebed wrote:
JimC wrote:Well, I'm glad we're in, but there is something a little weird about a sport where a 0 - 0 draw produces such excitement...
It's football you get used of it. :biggrin:
It's soccer - Aussie rules is football... :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 am

I had been saying for years that the Aussies should join the Asian qualification section, as it would give them the best chance of regular qualification. :cheers:

Europe and South America remain the toughest areas to get out of, as we know only too well. We might still qualify, but it's a very hard slog. :lay:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:18 am

klr wrote:I had been saying for years that the Aussies should join the Asian qualification section, as it would give them the best chance of regular qualification. :cheers:
Well until recently there was a very loud anti-australian lobby within the AFC so it was until we really got our shit together domestically and the old farts that didnt like Australia retired that we got our place in the AFC.

It's not just at the socceroos levels its at all levels of football that the teams get decent opposition not 20-0 floggings of *insert random pacific island* so its going to be good for generation to come. :D

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:23 am

Gratz to the Roos. I was in an Italian bar during the last one and I was shouting for the Auzzies. (you was robbed!)

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 am

AshtonBlack wrote:Gratz to the Roos. I was in an Italian bar during the last one and I was shouting for the Auzzies. (you was robbed!)
Thanks man and yes we were robbed. :lay:

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:27 am

redunderthebed wrote:
klr wrote:I had been saying for years that the Aussies should join the Asian qualification section, as it would give them the best chance of regular qualification. :cheers:
Well until recently there was a very loud anti-australian lobby within the AFC so it was until we really got our shit together domestically and the old farts that didnt like Australia retired that we got our place in the AFC.

It's not just at the socceroos levels its at all levels of football that the teams get decent opposition not 20-0 floggings of *insert random pacific island* so its going to be good for generation to come. :D
Exactly: The standard of opposition in Asia is consistently good, but not too tough. Not like all those times when the Aussies would spend months playing against pacific sides who hardly knew what a football looked like, only to eventually end up in a final play-off against some battle-hardened European or South American side.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 am

klr wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:

Exactly: The standard of opposition in Asia is consistently good, but not too tough. Not like all those times when the Aussies would spend months playing against pacific sides who hardly knew what a football looked like, only to eventually end up in a final play-off against some battle-hardened European or South American side.
That was half the problem the teams we had to play had played a much higher standard of football that we didnt even get close to until then and then were like deer in the headlights.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:46 am

Europe and South America remain the toughest areas to get out of, as we know only too well. We might still qualify, but it's a very hard slog. :lay:
I wish I was as optimistic as you.

I think we're fucked.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.