E. M. Cioran

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Re: E. M. Cioran

Post by Lozzer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Point some out then! I came across E.M Cioran by chance, in fact I can't remember how I found him.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:09 am

Lozzer wrote:Point some out then!
David Hume is one of my favourite philosophers, but to appreciate his works takes a bit of a sustained effort, so I don't think he'll suit you.

Anyway, I merely wanted to reply to your take on Cioran ("he's fucking fantastic") by saying what I think of him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:20 pm

David Hume is one of my favourite philosophers, but to appreciate his works takes a bit of a sustained effort, so I don't think he'll suit you.
He's good, and I agree with him a lot; but he's boring.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Read Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche.

Straw Dogs is very pessimistic and Orwellian. I'm not so sure what I think about 'Gaia Theory' either. Not that its not a good read.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JOZeldenrust

Post by JOZeldenrust » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 am

Lozzer wrote:Point some out then! I came across E.M Cioran by chance, in fact I can't remember how I found him.
You seem pretty much obsessed with the absolute lows of human history, so I'd recommend Hume --> Kant --> Hegel --> Feuerbach --> Marx. After that you should understand why communism seemed like a pretty good idea at the time. Then some Nietzsche and Heinlein, and the same should be true for fascism (though not anti-Semitism, that's pretty much late medieval). You might find yourself actually agreeing with some stuff you're not comfortable with, stuff you know intuitively you shouldn't agree with. I'd suggest Hannah Arendt to put it into perspective again. Then, if you're up for some more abstract stuff, try Wittgenstein, Tsang Tse and Ibn Tufail.

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:33 pm

JOZeldenrust wrote:
Lozzer wrote:Point some out then! I came across E.M Cioran by chance, in fact I can't remember how I found him.
You seem pretty much obsessed with the absolute lows of human history, so I'd recommend Hume --> Kant --> Hegel --> Feuerbach --> Marx. After that you should understand why communism seemed like a pretty good idea at the time. Then some Nietzsche and Heinlein, and the same should be true for fascism (though not anti-Semitism, that's pretty much late medieval). You might find yourself actually agreeing with some stuff you're not comfortable with, stuff you know intuitively you shouldn't agree with. I'd suggest Hannah Arendt to put it into perspective again. Then, if you're up for some more abstract stuff, try Wittgenstein, Tsang Tse and Ibn Tufail.

Thank you, that's what I wanted!